The Student Room Group

*MEGATHREAD* - UKCAT 2014 Entry Discussion Megathread (inc. changes to the UKCAT)

As some of you may already be aware, there will be multiple changes to the structure/content of the UKCAT and the way it will be marked. Below are the sections that you will expect whilst taking the exam.

Verbal Reasoning
You will be presented with eleven passages of text, each associated with 4 items (questions). For some of these test items, your task is to read each passage of text carefully and then decide whether the statement provided follows logically. There are three answer options you can choose from:
True False or Can’t Tell

Quantitative Reasoning
You'll be required to solve problems by extracting relevant information from tables and other numerical presentations. For each item, you may be presented with four items that relate to that table, chart or graph. For each item, there are five answer options to choose from. A simple onscreen calculator will be available

*NEW ADDITIONAL SECTIONS FROM 2014 ENTRY*

Abstract Reasoning

There will now be 4 different item types in the UKCAT test.

For type 1, you will be presented with two sets of shapes labelled “Set A” and “Set B”. You will be given a test shape and asked to decide whether the test shape belongs to Set A, Set B, or Neither.

For type 2, you will be presented with a series of shapes. You will be asked to select the next shape in the series.

For type 3, you will be presented with a statement, involving a group of shapes. You will be asked to determine which shape completes the statement.

For type 4, you will be presented with two sets of shapes labelled “Set A” and “Set B”. You will be asked to select which of the four response options belongs to Set A or Set B.

Examples: http://www.ukcat.ac.uk/about-the-test/abstract-reasoning/#.UYFbTEog6jY

Decision Analysis

The Decision Analysis Test assesses the ability to make decisions in situations of uncertainty. It requires candidates to make informed judgements with information that is incomplete, complex and ambiguous. Using a deciphering scenario, the test requires a move from logical reasoning to decisions requiring increasing degrees of judgement.

CONFIDENCE RATINGS- Pilot scheme

Following each Decision Analysis item you will be asked to rate how confident you are that the answer you gave was right on a 5-point scale (low confidence to high confidence). A response of 1 would mean that you are not very confident that you answered the corresponding item correctly and a response of 5 would indicate that you are very confident that you answered the corresponding item correctly. Your score from this section will NOT be sent to universities

ADDITIONAL SECTION

Situational Judgement TEST

The test consists of a series of scenarios with possible actions and considerations. The questions do not require medical or procedural knowledge. This assessment consists of two sets of questions.
When considering how to respond to the scenario, an option is:

a very appropriate thing to do
appropriate, but not ideal if it could be done
inappropriate, but not awful
a very inappropriate thing to do
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

UKCAT 2014/2015 entry

With major thanks to Hygeia (for saving me writing it all out)

FAQ:

When should I sit the UKCAT?
A. Some important dates:
Registration opens:1 May 2013 (bursary applications processed from this date)
Testing begins: 1 July 2013
Registration deadline: 20 September 2013 (bursary and exemption application deadline also this date)
Last testing date: 04 Oct 2013
UCAS application deadline: 4 October 2013
The exact date you sit the test is up to you, some people prefer to get it out of the way early so they know their score and can decide on where to apply from there. Others would rather wait until after they have their AS level results. Bear in mind that the price does go up at the start of September.

Q: How much does it cost?
A. July-August: £65 for those taking the test in the EU, £100 for other candidates
September-October: £80 for those taking the test in the EU, £100 for other candidates.
The price is the same regardless of whether you are taking the standard UKCAT or UKCATSEN.

Q: Do we need to put that we've done our UKCAT/or our score on UCAS?
A:There's no need. UKCAT will send your scores off to the universities you're applying to that need it.

Q: Do we get a calculator?
A:Yes. A simple on-screen calculator will be made available to you to assist you in the quantitative reasoning section. To access this you will need to click on the icon in the top left hand side of your screen. THIS HAS CHANGED FROM 2010 TEST. The calculator should look similar to this:

Q: Do we have anything to write on?
A: Yes. You will be given a double sided whiteboard with a special pen to write with. There is usually no eraser available so taking some tissues with you might be useful.

Q: When should we arrive at the test centre?
A: You should arrive at least fifteen minutes before the exam to go through the formalities and prove your identity.

Q: What should we bring to the test centre?
A: You should bring to the test centre a printout of the email that you were sent confirming your test registration as well as photographic identification (see the list on the UKCAT website).

Q: What is the average score?
A: The average score for each subtest is 600. Most candidates will score between 500-700. If your score isn't as good as you would like, it's not the end of the road. Some advice can be found in this thread

Q: Can we discuss the questions in the UKCAT once we've sat it?
A: No. You will sign something declaring that you agree not to.

Q: If I do badly can I take it again?
A: Nope, unfortunately not. You can only take the UKCAT once for each UCAS cycle so if you don't do as well as you'd have liked, you'll need to think carefully about where you are going to apply to.

Q: What book should I buy to practice from?
A: Various books have been recommended in the past:
Passing the UK Clinical Aptitude Test (UKCAT) and BMAT 2009, Taylor, Hutton and Hutton, Learning Matters Ltd, ISBN 1844452840
Get into Medical School - 600 UKCAT Practice Questions. Includes Full Mock Exam, comprehensive tips, techniques and explanations, Olivier Picard, Laetitia Tighlit, Sami Tighlit, and David Phillips, ISC Medical, ISBN 1905812094
How to Pass the UKCAT: Unbeatable Practice for Success in the 2009 United Kingdom Clinical Aptitude Test, Mike Byron and Jim Clayden, Kogan Page Ltd., ISBN 0749453338

How is it marked?

Raw scores are converted to scale scores that share a common range from 300 to 900. A total scale score is generated by summing individual scale scores of the four cognitive sections. The total scale score ranges from 1200 to 3600.

The SJT is graded in bands, Band 1 being the highest band, Band 4 the lowest.

All information has been taken from the official UKCAT site: http://www.ukcat.ac.uk/

GOOD LUCK!!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Damn, they really are complicating the UKCAT next year. Good luck 2014 applicants
Reply 3
Abstract reasoning was hard enough already!! Now this...urgghhhhhhh
Reply 4
What the...... dayyuum... Will the Bmat remain the same???
Reply 5
Ouch... Is the Situational Judgement section going to be sent to the universities this time round? I wish luck to everyone sitting it!
Original post by Zaphod77
Ouch... Is the Situational Judgement section going to be sent to the universities this time round? I wish luck to everyone sitting it!

Yes, the website states however...

"As the SJT is a measure of non-cognitive attributes, it will be considered by universities in a different manner to the cognitive subtests."

The university will use the result from the SJT in different ways. (or may not even use it at all), best thing is to contact them.
As if the UKCAT wasn't hard enough :unimpressed:
Reply 8
So demoralized because of this :frown: And it's not like in A-levels, where grade boundaries can change when it's the first cohort to experience a big change (next year when we do all exams in June) or when a particular exam is very difficult. The UKCAT scoring is based on what people get in the previous years :frown: So despite these changes, the scoring system will be just as harsh as before.

Does anyone know if the people at Kaplan will prepare students for this? Seriously considering going on a course, and was wondering when is the best time to take it? Planning on doing the UKCAT end of August.

Reply 9
DA is not going to be counted? Is that not the one that people usually do best/better in? I usually count on DA to bring my average up :redface:

Well done Pearson VUE. Well done.
Reply 10
Original post by kimsiclez
DA is not going to be counted? Is that not the one that people usually do best/better in? I usually count on DA to bring my average up :redface:

Reading that, I think it's just the confidence scores that follow each question that won't be counted, so you've nothing to worry about :smile:
Original post by kimsiclez

I'm sorry. I should have clarified, your score from DA will be counted, however, there is a separate section called CR- Confidence rating (see above). It is this score which will not be sent to uni's.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Ingenting
Reading that, I think it's just the confidence scores that follow each question that won't be counted, so you've nothing to worry about :smile:

Original post by frogs r everywhere
I'm sorry. I should have clarified, your score from DA will be counted, however, there is a separate section called CR- Confidence rating (see above). It is this score which will not be sent to uni's.

I see. Sorry, I misread that. My heart is now free to start again haha.
Just did the SJT practice test out of interest (and procrastination), and scored 42/71. How have others done?
Original post by frogs r everywhere

So if I understand correctly after every DA question you give a confidence rating? and the time taken to answer each confidence rating will eat into the overall DA time limit?
Original post by AtomicMan
Just did the SJT practice test out of interest (and procrastination), and scored 42/71. How have others done?

I did the short one and got 8/13 oooops. Glad I'm not taking it in summer.
I initially liked the idea of SJTing as I thought I have a lot of common sense and hence it'd be easy. I got 43/71, fuuuuck.
Reply 17
Good luck guys! Hopefully your SJT scores with boost up your whole score!!! This is if they used our 'pilot' scores as the reference mark (if this makes sense!), because I think a lot of us just did those questions as quickly as we could so that we could get out and go get our scores!!! :tongue:

But they've probably added these things in to prevent further score inflation like we had last year, so I wouldn't worry if you seem to be scoring low relative to last year! :smile:

Ahh it's so weird coming onto this thread, don't worry 2014 guys, it's hard, but it's definitely worth it in the end :smile:
Original post by Richyp22
So if I understand correctly after every DA question you give a confidence rating? and the time taken to answer each confidence rating will eat into the overall DA time limit?

I'm not too sure on that one but I would assume so.
Original post by Richyp22

it wont eat into your time for DA, will most likely be a seperate section at the end like all the other pilot schemes.

Am i right the score will be something like 2800, band 3? the SJT isnt out of 900 so isnt added to the score?

Latest