The Student Room Group

How to turn someone down nicely?

Hi someone just messaged me on facebook about an hour ago asking me out but the thing is I dont like her in that way. I do however value her friendship a lot and dont want to lose that by saying no in the wrong way.

So my question is how do I say no in a nice way? (if its possible)
That happened to me once and I just sorta wish-washed around the subject and came across very reluctant I guess, and they never spoke to me after that lool.
Reply 2
Just be honest about how you do feel.
Reply 3
Just say you'd rather just stay friends. Just have to be honest, dont dodge the question cause its quite disrespectful :smile:
Reply 4
There is no way to do it which won't upset her just a little bit. Just say that you value her friendship a lot and that you don't want to ruin it.

Don't suger-coat it too much or she might not think that it's a "no" but rather a "not right now". Which will cause all kinds of trouble.
I had this but the other way around. I texted him asking him out and got this reply, 'Please don't take this personally, you're a good friend, but I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable going on a date, sorry. No hard feelings?x' which I thought was a surprisingly sweet rejection, you could try that?
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous
That happened to me once and I just sorta wish-washed around the subject and came across very reluctant I guess, and they never spoke to me after that lool.

Hi someone just messaged me on facebook about an hour ago asking me out but the thing is I dont like her in that way. I do however value her friendship a lot and dont want to lose that by saying no in the wrong way.

So my question is how do I say no in a nice way? (if its possible)

Original post by nicatre
Just be honest about how you do feel.

Original post by xStaceyy
Just say you'd rather just stay friends. Just have to be honest, dont dodge the question cause its quite disrespectful :smile:

Original post by bssjonny
There is no way to do it which won't upset her just a little bit. Just say that you value her friendship a lot and that you don't want to ruin it.

Don't suger-coat it too much or she might not think that it's a "no" but rather a "not right now". Which will cause all kinds of trouble.

I had this but the other way around. I texted him asking him out and got this reply, 'Please don't take this personally, you're a good friend, but I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable going on a date, sorry. No hard feelings?x' which I thought was a surprisingly sweet rejection, you could try that?

Just sent the message backing saying I dont feel the same way hope we can still be friends, I feel like such a horrible person (first time I have rejected someone)

thanks for all the replys guys it really helped I really appreciate your advice
Reply 7
Just sent the message backing saying I dont feel the same way hope we can still be friends, I feel like such a horrible person (first time I have rejected someone)

thanks for all the replys guys it really helped I really appreciate your advice

Just to clarify I didnt say I feel like a horrible person in the message just realized that post was worded wrong
Reply 8
Hey I've been on the other side of it and I can honestly tell you the best thing my friend did was say that he didn't like me in that way but was quite nice about it. It was a bit cringe-worthy at first but I soon got over it. It was a learning experience more than anything.

Worst thing you can do though is chicken out and dodge the question or lead her on because you think it's better to give her 'hope'. It's not. Tell her the truth but don't be brutal. :smile:
Reply 9
I'd been on the page for over 45 minutes before posting?! TSR needs to stop stealing my time away.

You've done the right thing, don't feel bad! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending