The Student Room Group

Any other routes to medicine??

Hi, was just wondering if there are any other routes onto a degree course in medicine. At the moment I am studying Social Sciences but have decided that this is not what I want to do. I don't have enough highers to apply for the course and this is why I was wondering if there are any others ways to get into medicine. Would doing a degree in nursing and then applying for medicine be an option? or doing a degree in biomedical science and then applying be another option? Any help would be appreciated :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by gav132000
Hi, was just wondering if there are any other routes onto a degree course in medicine. At the moment I am studying Social Sciences but have decided that this is not what I want to do. I don't have enough highers to apply for the course and this is why I was wondering if there are any others ways to get into medicine. Would doing a degree in nursing and then applying for medicine be an option? or doing a degree in biomedical science and then applying be another option? Any help would be appreciated :smile:

You could possibly apply for one of the foundation year programmes, or do an access course and then apply. Depending on why you don't have enough Highers, you could even do some more so you have enough and apply normally (if some unis say yes to the idea and your grades are good enough in the first place that is).
Reply 2
Original post by gav132000

Are you studying for a degree in social sciences? If so you can complete your degree and apply for graduate medicine - but it is extremely competitive, and much harder to get into than undergrad medicine. You would not be in any better of a position by switching to a nursing degree - in fact I believe taking a vocational course with no intent to carry on and work in the field could be looked at quite negatively.

As for switching to biomed - I would say you should think very carefully about what your back-up would be if you fail to get into graduate medicine, and what degree would be most useful for an alternate career.
Reply 3
Thanks for the help everyone.. At the moment im doing a NC higher in social sciences and I am due to go onto HNC level but I wanted to see what options I have first before committing myself to one subject as you only get funding for one HNC. I have always wanted to do medicine but I took 4 highers in fifth year and didn't realise how hard it would be and ended up failing 3 of them. Then I left after 5th year to do social sciences as I found it interesting but now I would either like to do medicine or nursing and was just seeing what's available.. Does anyone know what unis offer graduate medicine courses? and is there any other pathways to medicine that could be used later on once I have more experience in the field and have got more qualifications? and is it possible to go onto do nursing with a HNC in social sciences?
Reply 4
The information is all on TSR in the medicine wiki.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending