The Student Room Group

3rd year + new subject + medicine--Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If i achieve:

Maths - A*

Further Maths - A*

Chemistry- A*

Physics- B

and the pick up biology in my 3rd year(this year sept) and do AS and A2 in one year, will it affect my application because I AM NOT REPEATING NOR RESITNG BUT DOING AN ADDITIONAL SUBJECT?

Help

Thank you in advance
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
I'm not sure about the biology, but I think you have a problem with your other A levels. You need AAA at one sitting, but I don't think med schools accept Further Maths as one of the three. Can you get your physics up to an A?
Original post by Sujman
If i achieve:
Maths - A*
Further Maths - A*
Chemistry- A*
Physics- B
and the pick up biology in my 3rd year(this year sept) and do AS and A2 in one year, will it affect my application because I AM NOT REPEATING NOR RESITNG BUT DOING AN ADDITIONAL SUBJECT?
Help
Thank you in advance

You're in Y13, yes? If so, are you (re)applying after a gap year and thinking about offering Biology in order to apply to med schools that require it?

Most med schools expect that candidates will offer 4 AS and 3 A2 which have been studied over two years, and achieve AAA+ at A2. If you get the predicted grades, uni's that accept A2 FM will consider you achieved this requirement, and uni's that don't accept A2 FM won't. The former will (I think) treat Biology as a bonus and will consider you, the latter will probably not relax the requirement to achieve AAA in two years (but you can ask them).

There are already plenty of med schools which accept Chemistry, Maths and FM. If you can get an A in Physics, the field is wider. If you offer Biology AS (studied in Y14) it is wider still, and Biology A2 will allow you to apply to most places.

Check the article on A level subjects and grades in the medicine wiki... http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_A_Level_Requirements
And as with all special cases, discuss your situation with the relevant med schools before choosing them on your UCAS form.

Good luck!
Reply 3
Original post by Pastaferian
You're in Y13, yes? If so, are you (re)applying after a gap year and thinking about offering Biology in order to apply to med schools that require it?

Most med schools expect that candidates will offer 4 AS and 3 A2 which have been studied over two years, and achieve AAA+ at A2. If you get the predicted grades, uni's that accept A2 FM will consider you achieved this requirement, and uni's that don't accept A2 FM won't. The former will (I think) treat Biology as a bonus and will consider you, the latter will probably not relax the requirement to achieve AAA in two years (but you can ask them).

There are already plenty of med schools which accept Chemistry, Maths and FM. If you can get an A in Physics, the field is wider. If you offer Biology AS (studied in Y14) it is wider still, and Biology A2 will allow you to apply to most places.

Check the article on A level subjects and grades in the medicine wiki... http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_A_Level_Requirements
And as with all special cases, discuss your situation with the relevant med schools before choosing them on your UCAS form.

Good luck!

So your saying me doing biology in year 14 would not have great affect on my application.
Original post by Sujman
So your saying me doing biology in year 14 would not have great affect on my application.

No, Biology will increase your options. I was trying to draw attention to the fact that there are two criteria that you normally have to meet (the second is often overlooked)...

have you got the right subjects and grades?

have you completed 4 AS and 3 A2 in two years, achieving AAA+ at A2?

You must satisfy the second criterion irrespective of whether you do Biology, noting that FM will not be counted as an A2 qualification by some med schools. This criterion is there to show that you can handle the same workload and achieve the same success as your competitors - relaxing it for you would be potentially unfair to them. But having satisfied the second criterion, your only constraint is the subjects you are offering, and having Biology AS or A2 would give you more choices about where you can apply.

As an example of what I was saying, consider Cardiff (see wiki quotes below)... my interpretation is that you won't be able to apply there (even if you add Biology to your CV) because they would say you failed the second criterion. Now, I may be wrong, and they may be willing to relax the "AAA+ at A2 in two years" norm for you, but you would have to check with them before proceeding.
Cardiff
Key requirements. Chemistry (AS/A2) and Biology (AS/A2)
Other requirements. At least two science subjects (one must be Bio/Chem) and an AS level in a fourth subject with at least a C grade. Offer includes A grade in either A2 Chem or Bio. If Chem/Bio not offered at A2, the AS must have a grade of at least B.
Unacceptable subjects. General Studies (neither AS/A2), Critical Thinking (considered at AS but not A2). For applicants taking two or more Maths/Statistics subjects (eg Further Maths), only one will count towards an offer.
Reply 5
No, Biology will increase your options. I was trying to draw attention to the fact that there are two criteria that you normally have to meet (the second is often overlooked)...

have you got the right subjects and grades?

have you completed 4 AS and 3 A2 in two years, achieving AAA+ at A2?

You must satisfy the second criterion irrespective of whether you do Biology, noting that FM will not be counted as an A2 qualification by some med schools. This criterion is there to show that you can handle the same workload and achieve the same success as your competitors - relaxing it for you would be potentially unfair to them. But having satisfied the second criterion, your only constraint is the subjects you are offering, and having Biology AS or A2 would give you more choices about where you can apply.

As an example of what I was saying, consider Cardiff (see wiki quotes below)... my interpretation is that you won't be able to apply there (even if you add Biology to your CV) because they would say you failed the second criterion. Now, I may be wrong, and they may be willing to relax the "AAA+ at A2 in two years" norm for you, but you would have to check with them before proceeding.

i was thinking of doing /going for these:
queen mary's
sussex & brighton
Manchester

Keele? contact
King's College London?contact (doubt it)
Leicester? conact
Nottingham ? contact
Peninsula ? contact
Sheffield university ? contact
Southampton ? contact
St Georges ? contact
Reply 6
Original post by Sujman

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ! GOOD NEWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:
I emailed all the university that do medicine and I explained everything. Responses so far:

St George - pick up AS biology and no problem as long no subject is touched in my third year.

Kings college - my application will be considered as long as I get 3 A's this year. Just pick up AS biology

Southampton - no

Keele - no problem

Brighton & Sussex - no problem

Manchester - no problem

So far....
Reply 7
HELP! Do Med Schools accept 3/4 years of A levels?
If I take 4 As/A2 levels (Psycho,Math,Geog,Btec Applied science and achieve As) for 2 years and then do another extra 2 years of As/A2 levels (Bio Chem Physic achieve As) would Med Schools reject me? Or is it not possible to do that?
If you ask why... It's a long story...to do with GCSE Btec Applied Science. :/

Original post by fil.sissay
If I take 4 As/A2 levels (Psycho,Math,Geog,Btec Applied science and achieve As) for 2 years and then do another extra 2 years of As/A2 levels (Bio Chem Physic achieve As) would Med Schools reject me? Or is it not possible to do that?
If you ask why... It's a long story...to do with GCSE Btec Applied Science. :/.

The normal rule is that candidates should offer 4 ASs and 3 A2s taken over 2 years. Candidates who meet that requirement have achieved the same success while handling the same workload, but if the rule is relaxed for one candidate, it is arguably unfair to others who met the normal expectation. Unfortunately, it's unlikely that they would consider you, unless there are convincing extenuating circumstances.
Reply 9

You would probably need to contact the individual universities and ask them. I think the large majority wouldn't have a problem as each A level would have been completed over two years and sometimes people do new A levels so they can meet the subject requirements for medicine (which looks to me like what you are doing).

As long as you have a valid reason for doing so I can't see why not. Just make sure you finish Physics, Chem and Bio in two years and get all As at least and just ask individuals unis about your circumstances.
Reply 10
Original post by kimsiclez
You would probably need to contact the individual universities and ask them. I think the large majority wouldn't have a problem as each A level would have been completed over two years and sometimes people do new A levels so they can meet the subject requirements for medicine (which looks to me like what you are doing).

As long as you have a valid reason for doing so I can't see why not. Just make sure you finish Physics, Chem and Bio in two years and get all As at least and just ask individuals unis about your circumstances.

Thank you. Very helpful. :smile:

Reply 11
The normal rule is that candidates should offer 4 ASs and 3 A2s taken over 2 years. Candidates who meet that requirement have achieved the same success while handling the same workload, but if the rule is relaxed for one candidate, it is arguably unfair to others who met the normal expectation. Unfortunately, it's unlikely that they would consider you, unless there are convincing extenuating circumstances.

Thanks. :smile:

Reply 12

I emailed every medical school in uk and they replied so you can see above my results. Do the same thing.

ALL THE BEST
Reply 13
Original post by Sujman
I emailed every medical school in uk and they replied so you can see above my results. Do the same thing.

ALL THE BEST

Thanks mate. :smile:)

Reply 14
Original post by Sujman

ALL THE BEST

Have you tried Cardiff? :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending