The Student Room Group

Software engineer, IT or neither?

I'm wondering what or IF I should go for a degree within computer science. I'm considering this as I suppose it is easier to get a job as this sort of knowledge is needed on the labour market.

I have two universities in the Netherlands in mind.

The first is a degree as ICT & Software Engineer.

Here is the link to the program: http://fontys.edu/document.83582.aspx?

The second degree is Information Technology (IT) in which we also learn about programming etc (Just read the description) http://www.stenden.com/en/studies/bachelor/it/Pages/curriculum.aspx

The reason why I'm doubtful is because I'm bad at maths. Very bad! Numbers aren't my things, but I do find it interesting to develop software, build websites etc.

1. Which degree do you think would be suitable for me on the basis of that I'm crap at maths?

2. What degree is more attractive for employers?

Thanks in advance :smile:
Reply 1
The second degree is Information Technology (IT) would be with less maths for sure and it would be much easier to learn.
Software Engineering would give you more knowledge and it's better regarding getting a job afterwards, but as I see it includes maths so it would be a bit harder for you, of course I don't know how bad or good are you in maths. but why don't look for a different university that offers Software Engineering with less maths ? yes its not so good maybe course but would get you there I think.
Reply 2
Original post by Sitch
The second degree is Information Technology (IT) would be with less maths for sure and it would be much easier to learn.
Software Engineering would give you more knowledge and it's better regarding getting a job afterwards, but as I see it includes maths so it would be a bit harder for you, of course I don't know how bad or good are you in maths. but why don't look for a different university that offers Software Engineering with less maths ? yes its not so good maybe course but would get you there I think.

Thanks for the advice. I'll take a look for a uni which offers a S.E. degree with less maths :smile:
Reply 3
Find yourself a software engineering course that doesn't require heavy maths; they are out there. I'm doing a software engineering degree at the moment and do barely any maths, and any that I do do is very basic arithmetic.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending