The Student Room Group

Is a US degree considered weaker than a Uk degree?

I was wondering if employers will look and regard a US degree weaker than compared to a Uk degree? Is this the case? Or would the problem come with where i decided to live and work (for example gain a Uk degree and work in the US or visa versa)?
No, why would they?

If anything a degree in the same subject from broadly equivalent university to the British one you would otherwise have attended might be slightly better received, because of the novelty value.
Reply 2
Original post by cambio wechsel
No, why would they?

If anything a degree in the same subject from broadly equivalent university to the British one you would otherwise have attended might be slightly better received, because of the novelty value.

Novelty value? If you had the opportunity to study in England or America, what would you choose and why? Thanks for the reply though! :smile:
Original post by Skits
Novelty value? If you had the opportunity to study in England or America, what would you choose and why? Thanks for the reply though! :smile:

Being British, and all else being equal - I mean costs and so forth, I'd study in the US. As I suggest, that confers a stand-out quality in the British job market that will encourage potential employers to want a look at you. More than that, there's an education to be had in just living overseas for an extend period of time. If I were American, then I'd choose to study in the UK, and for the same reasons
Agree with cambio - a US degree is often very well received by UK employers, and UK degrees are well received by US employers.
Original post by Skits
I was wondering if employers will look and regard a US degree weaker than compared to a Uk degree? Is this the case? Or would the problem come with where i decided to live and work (for example gain a Uk degree and work in the US or visa versa)?

Definitely not! Why would they?

However, I do think it really depends on where you live and decide to work once you graduate. Like what others have said, it would depend on where you are looking for work. Consider the tuition and living costs as well before choosing which university you'd want to go to.
Reply 6
As neither a British or U.S resident, I would choose a U.S university for the student life, well rounded education. The concept of a "Major" and "Minor" and credit hours really gives you alot of freedom. I actually chose Canada in the end since it has everything the U.S has without the gun laws and super expensive tuition which makes it a much safer, affordable place imo.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending