The Student Room Group

I feel like I'm never going to get to my driving test, let alone pass it!

I've been going at it for so long. My money kept running out, so I'd have to stop for months at a time until my next student finance. My parents couldn't fund me £40 a week for 2 hours...

I then had work experience, which was another 6 weeks, and when I came back my driving instructor was booked up. I had to wait another four months for my money to come back through, find another. I ended up cancelling with her because she was terrible. Turned up 15 minutes early, finished the lesson early (I'd only have half an hour), she'd have a go at me for stalling, which shot my nerves to pieces so I kept stalling......

Anyway. After another three months I got another, and she's loads better but I still feel like my driving test is a distant dream that will never happen. I make stupid errors all the time which knocks my confidence, and because of my last driving instructor I have really bad habits which keep coming back during lessons (staying in lower gears, moving off just using the clutch and so on).

AGGGH! Tell me I'm not alone!

Also, as an additional question, can anyone give any advice on how to really really really concentrate when driving, so you don't make these mistakes?
You're not alone, it took me ages to do my driving test and once you pass it's amazing!

You can either carry on or wait until you have a steady flow of money so that you don't have any gaps.

Also try writing things down that you have learnt after each lesson, then the night before your next lesson go through these as it'll refresh your memory.

Some ways to make you concentrate more are to get enough sleep, eat some bananas before your lesson, drink lots of water and make sure that you are analysing the road all the time for hazards (this will keep you alert).

Just keep going and you'll get there in the end, never give up! Just remember there are some really terrible drivers out there that have a full licence, so if they have one surely you can get one too :smile:

Good luck!
Original post by x-Listen-x
I've been going at it for so long. My money kept running out, so I'd have to stop for months at a time until my next student finance. My parents couldn't fund me £40 a week for 2 hours...

I then had work experience, which was another 6 weeks, and when I came back my driving instructor was booked up. I had to wait another four months for my money to come back through, find another. I ended up cancelling with her because she was terrible. Turned up 15 minutes early, finished the lesson early (I'd only have half an hour), she'd have a go at me for stalling, which shot my nerves to pieces so I kept stalling......

Anyway. After another three months I got another, and she's loads better but I still feel like my driving test is a distant dream that will never happen. I make stupid errors all the time which knocks my confidence, and because of my last driving instructor I have really bad habits which keep coming back during lessons (staying in lower gears, moving off just using the clutch and so on).

AGGGH! Tell me I'm not alone!

Also, as an additional question, can anyone give any advice on how to really really really concentrate when driving, so you don't make these mistakes?

Present! I am like you. I struggled bigtime to get to a stage where I wasn't stalling or turning corners in 3rd gear. I took several weeks break coz I couldn't deal with the stress of my driving lessons.Believe me you will get there. Take your time when doing things like moving off from stationary, manouveres or even setting off at a traffic light. Don't be tempted to speed up when entering a roundabout otherwise you might stall. Try not to raise the clutch too quickly.Get a feel for the different levels of "bite". Mid bite would help you move off from rest. Lower bite would be handy for slowing down. Higher bite would be sufficient for hill starts. Once you get a feel for your clutch,you can control your car better.

To avoid jerkiness when changing gears aim to press the accelerator just as you lift up the clutch through the biting point (slowly).

Always approach junctions in the correct gear for the speed you are travelling at. Try to get down to 2nd gear in good time. Do your MSM well in advance of the junction.

Good luck and remember be confident in your abilities. Being in a pro-active,confident and "go-getter" mindset is half the battle.

Don't give up
Reply 3
The stalling was just a mistake that one time because I came off the clutch too fast, trying to get out of the way of a queue of traffic. I panicked. I've only stalled twice since for similar reasons - panicking to get out of the way. I don't make a habit of it though :P

Thanks for your replies, though!
Reply 4
Original post by x-Listen-x
The stalling was just a mistake that one time because I came off the clutch too fast, trying to get out of the way of a queue of traffic. I panicked. I've only stalled twice since for similar reasons - panicking to get out of the way. I don't make a habit of it though :P

Thanks for your replies, though!

Getting all nervous doesnt help anyone :wink: Slow off the clutch, easy on the breaks, Mirror, signal, position, speed, look . No need to over complicate things:smile: Gonna stall? notice ur revs going below 1k, clutch down and shift down if applicable, bring clutch slowly up while applying some gas. If u do stall dont panic, even if other drivers start shouting at u give em the finger and move on :P

Another tip, talk to urself ! Might sound crazy, but what I did the first few lessons when approaching junctions and turns was say Mirrors ( Checks mirrors) Signal (signals) Position (Positions car appropriately) speed (Slow down, shift down to 2nd) Look (Being aware of ur surroundings), my instructor liked the idea so much he started telling his other students to also do that.

AND JUST BELIEVE IN URSELF, Relax, breathe and drive, It is Well within ur capabilities to pass. Being confident will make u a better driver :hugs:

EDIT: Im sorry for poor grammar, its 5 am ive had no sleep :P and my instructor gave me these before my practical, they might help :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5
Im exactly the same, I dread my lessons so much :frown: I do one a week and started in frickin January, but I've had loads of breaks.. Ah I must admit I feel so alone and stupid. :frown:
There was one point during my lessons where I had a few bad ones and wondered if I'd be up to standard by the time my test date came. Sure enough though I pulled through :smile:
I feel the exact same so don't worry you're not alone. I feel as if everyone around me having lessons can do so much more than me yet we've had the same number of lessons.

Taking my test in the future just doesn't even sound plausible at all and i'm very quickly running out of money :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending