The Student Room Group

Additional Further Maths Discussion Thread

Scroll to see replies

Got less than two chapters of FP1 left. Seems like easy stuff [numerical methods are very tedious, even with the shorter method for linear interpolation and the interval bisection table is so annoying]. Is it just me or does FP2 look easier than FP1? At least there are no matrices.

Also, any suggestions for a third module so I can get an AS in FM [I'm in y13]? I've sat C1-2 and S1 and I've finished C3-4 and S2.
I have noticed an error at the bottom of page 8 of the FP3 book, the second differential of y = ax +b should be 0, not 1. Do you have an errata list for this otherwise excellent book?
Original post by alan wilson
I have noticed an error at the bottom of page 8 of the FP3 book, the second differential of y = ax +b should be 0, not 1. Do you have an errata list for this otherwise excellent book?

Which book are you referring to?
Original post by Angryification
Got less than two chapters of FP1 left. Seems like easy stuff [numerical methods are very tedious, even with the shorter method for linear interpolation and the interval bisection table is so annoying]. Is it just me or does FP2 look easier than FP1? At least there are no matrices.

Also, any suggestions for a third module so I can get an AS in FM [I'm in y13]? I've sat C1-2 and S1 and I've finished C3-4 and S2.

Are you on Edexcel?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by addylad
Are you on Edexcel?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes. Are you?
Original post by Khallil
Which book are you referring to?

The FP3 Handbook by D J Mannion
Reply 186
Could anyone provide some advice? http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2649386&p=47145136
I didn't realise there was a thread dedicated to AFM discussion! If I'd known, I would have posted my question here.

Thanks.
Original post by cheemaftw
Could anyone provide some advice? http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2649386&p=47145136
I didn't realise there was a thread dedicated to AFM discussion! If I'd known, I would have posted my question here.

Thanks.

Hey,

I'm taking both AFM and Chem A2 this year, and I would say Chem gets much better second year, although the AFM is really good fun! (M4&5 are certainly challenging and S3&4 are very interesting!)

There's a few other guys at my school also taking the AFM A-Level this year with me, and none of us have had any uni include AFM, or even acknowledge it in our offers or applications (this may be because it's considered harder so they don't expect anything), but Chem has been!

There's no doubt that Uni's should find AFM impressive, but this will suit better to the Uni's which value maths skills more (Oxbridge, Imperial, UCL) and for the more theoretical courses! It shouldn't really matter, I imagine your Maths, Further, and Physics are strong enough for the three main grades (although more frequently better Uni's are giving out four-grade offers!)

I'd say impress them / stand out with AFM, especially as so few people take it! 😄
(Check your cool with self-teaching though)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 188
Sorry to put in a c4 question here, but can anyone integrate sin3xcosx with some explanation pls?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by LFR
Sorry to put in a c4 question here, but can anyone integrate sin3xcosx with some explanation pls?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you know which technique to use?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by LFR

Posted from TSR Mobile

By factor formulae:

Sin3xCosx = (Sin4x + Sin2x) * (1/2) -See formula book!

...then integral => I = (1/2) * ((-1/4)*Cos4x + (-1/2)*Cos2x) + c

=> (-1/8)Cos4x - (1/4)Cos2x + c

😄

Posted from TSR Mobile
Who else has got M3 and S3 next week?!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dude-YeahThatsMe

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm doing S3 (Edexcel). :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Claree
I'm doing S3 (Edexcel). :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sweet! Me too!

How'd you feel about it?! It's too easy to make stupid mistakes- be a nice one to get finished quickly! 😄

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

I got them too along with C3 next week. Its getting harder - the papers, aren't they?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sweet! Me too!

How'd you feel about it?! It's too easy to make stupid mistakes- be a nice one to get finished quickly! 😄

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think I'm fairly well prepared for S3 - the papers take me no-where near the full 90 minutes but at least that leaves plenty of time to check for silly mistakes. :wink: It's a bit annoying having S3 (and S4) weeks before S2 though as I've not done a single S2 paper yet (I can do the S3 ones fine though so I assume that that doesn't really matter). :tongue:
Original post by Claree
I think I'm fairly well prepared for S3 - the papers take me no-where near the full 90 minutes but at least that leaves plenty of time to check for silly mistakes. :wink: It's a bit annoying having S3 (and S4) weeks before S2 though as I've not done a single S2 paper yet (I can do the S3 ones fine though so I assume that that doesn't really matter). :tongue:

In a modular exam system you can not believe that doing S3 means you are OK on S2 lol.
Original post by Old_Simon
In a modular exam system you can not believe that doing S3 means you are OK on S2 lol.

Haha I worked through the S2 textbook, just haven't done any past papers yet. :colondollar: What I meant was that I assume that as I can do the S3 papers, I've probably covered the bits you're supposed to remember from S2 needed for the S3 exam sufficiently, without also preparing to the same extent for the S2 exam now, when S2 isn't for more than another month. :tongue:
(edited 9 years ago)
I'm doing S3 next week too, a nice straightforward one to start my exams with. Not looking forward to M4 and M5 in a months time though... Relative motion is evil
Original post by Ben385
I'm doing S3 next week too, a nice straightforward one to start my exams with. Not looking forward to M4 and M5 in a months time though... Relative motion is evil

Haha, it's funny how the first chapter of M4 is probably harder than the rest of it, and M5!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending