The Student Room Group

To those in Cambridge

Just got my maths interview in Cambridge. I don’t think it went that well. In my first interview I was only able to answer the first question fully, second question partly and tbh I couldn’t say almost anything about the third one. In my second interview, I did the first one fully had some problem with the second one and solved the third one with couple of hints.

I don’t think that I will get an offer but I wanted to ask the ones in Cambridge, how did your interviews go? (Especially for the ones in maths)
Original post by Anonymous #1
Just got my maths interview in Cambridge. I don’t think it went that well. In my first interview I was only able to answer the first question fully, second question partly and tbh I couldn’t say almost anything about the third one. In my second interview, I did the first one fully had some problem with the second one and solved the third one with couple of hints.

I don’t think that I will get an offer but I wanted to ask the ones in Cambridge, how did your interviews go? (Especially for the ones in maths)

you can look at the official Cambridge undergraduate thread for 2024 on here

it’s not advisable to as an anonymous poster ask how interviews went, though, lest a named ie more identifiable poster says too much in a reply in an attempt to answer your question

make very clear you are asking only how they felt their interview went, and that you don’t want them to discuss any content if you do decide to post in that thread
good luck
Which college did you apply to? I only did two questions per interview.
Original post by Anonymous #2
Which college did you apply to? I only did two questions per interview.

I applied to Homerton.
@Doones actually looked at this some years ago and after actually analysing the data from TSR posters found there was no correlation between their self-reported perception of how the interview went and whether they were ultimately successful. Just as many who thought the interview went horribly got offers as those who thought it went well - and just as many who thought it went well didn't get offers as those that thought it went terribly! There's really no conclusions to be drawn from this except that, applicants don't know how interviewers assess them :redface:

Note also I gather they aren't necessarily looking for you to be able to know everything and be able to solve all the problems given immediately - they want to see how you think through the problems to work towards a solution, and how far you get towards it and how you manage any additional information given.
Original post by artful_lounger
@Doones actually looked at this some years ago and after actually analysing the data from TSR posters found there was no correlation between their self-reported perception of how the interview went and whether they were ultimately successful. Just as many who thought the interview went horribly got offers as those who thought it went well - and just as many who thought it went well didn't get offers as those that thought it went terribly! There's really no conclusions to be drawn from this except that, applicants don't know how interviewers assess them :redface:

Note also I gather they aren't necessarily looking for you to be able to know everything and be able to solve all the problems given immediately - they want to see how you think through the problems to work towards a solution, and how far you get towards it and how you manage any additional information given.

Well this gives me some hope, thanks!
Reply 6

I don’t think that I will get an offer but I wanted to ask the ones in Cambridge, how did your interviews go? I mean how did you feel? (Especially for the ones in maths)
Original post by oopheliaaa

I don’t think that I will get an offer but I wanted to ask the ones in Cambridge, how did your interviews go? I mean how did you feel? (Especially for the ones in maths)

That sounds about ideal for a maths interview. You showed you could work out the basic question, and then you showed you were teachable in the two harder ones. That's pretty much exactly what they are looking for.
Reply 8
Original post by threeportdrift
That sounds about ideal for a maths interview. You showed you could work out the basic question, and then you showed you were teachable in the two harder ones. That's pretty much exactly what they are looking for.

Well its a relief. Thanks!
Reply 9
Original post by artful_lounger

Can I find this data somewhere?

There's this ..

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7138170

Its also linked in this thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5081556 with further remarks from the Peterhouse AT. Also particularly noted there that maths has a higher average offer rate anyway because of the STEP requirement being the main attrition point.

I missed that @Theloniouss had revisited the project, thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending