The Student Room Group

The Graduate Discussion Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by gemmam
What was it for? I think you have the right attitude by thinking of it as a learning opportunity.

Original post by yennibubs
Keep at it! I had terrible interviews too and I eventually stopped caring about embarrassing myself and thinking "what's the worst that could happen?" In return, it actually made me more confident going into other interviews because I grew thicker skin :wink:

Thanks guys :h: It was for PwC's Public Services scheme - looked ideal as I could combine my interest in the public sector with working towards a qualification in accountancy. Yeah, I went into it quite confident that I had researched well and done all that I could, but it did not pay off it seems. Definitely will have to learn from this and move on, it isn't the end of the world that's for sure.
It's so annoying when places don't even bother to tell you that you've been rejected. I had a couple of interviews that went perfectly, was certain that i'd done enough to get at least one offer, never heard from either of them again. So frustrating.

Where do people even look for stuff? There's only two places that I seriously look through and it's just the same vacancies every time I look. My uni does have its own jobsite but it's not that good tbh, full of part time jobs or roles which i'm not qualified for/don't interest me.
Original post by sr90
It's so annoying when places don't even bother to tell you that you've been rejected. I had a couple of interviews that went perfectly, was certain that i'd done enough to get at least one offer, never heard from either of them again. So frustrating.

Where do people even look for stuff? There's only two places that I seriously look through and it's just the same vacancies every time I look. My uni does have its own jobsite but it's not that good tbh, full of part time jobs or roles which i'm not qualified for/don't interest me.

That's just plain rude imo. They invested in you and vice versa, they could have at least gotten back to you.

Sorry it's been so hard :hugs:
Original post by Slowbro93
That's just plain rude imo. They invested in you and vice versa, they could have at least gotten back to you.

Sorry it's been so hard :hugs:

I would just email them but it's been 2 weeks now, they've probably forgotten who I am :laugh:
Original post by sr90

I always try and do a follow up email to thank them for their time.

Although I am guessing trying for a part-time job in the local cineworld I was told that I would find out by Monday 22nd if I was successful (by phone) or unsuccessful (email). Since then I've phoned them twice and missed the manager but was told they would pass on the message and ask her to phone me back. Both times nothing. Quite simply unacceptable in my opinion. I have gone through the effort of applying on the online system, I have then come in for an interview and followed it up but still no decency to contact me back. If it is a rejection I just want feedback on what I did wrong!

I now have an induction for a local Wetherspoons on Wednesday whilst looking at grad schemes. Have been on JSA and now wanted a local job until I would be able to start a grad scheme and so that I have something to do with my days.

Currently looking at Civil Service and Royal Mail.
Original post by sr90
I would just email them but it's been 2 weeks now, they've probably forgotten who I am :laugh:

I know how you feel. There is a company I've interviewed for on 26th August that I haven't even heard back from lol. Luckily I had an offer since, but that's pretty rude of them to not even send an email to tell me I've been unsuccessful.

Two weeks isn't too long though. I'd definitely call or email them to follow up. I've once had an interview and they said they'll take a few weeks to get back. I chased them up after 3 weeks and they didn't reply. They sent a letter to my home after two months with a rejection and apology for the delay in their decision. Annoying.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SirMasterKey
I always try and do a follow up email to thank them for their time.

Although I am guessing trying for a part-time job in the local cineworld I was told that I would find out by Monday 22nd if I was successful (by phone) or unsuccessful (email). Since then I've phoned them twice and missed the manager but was told they would pass on the message and ask her to phone me back. Both times nothing. Quite simply unacceptable in my opinion. I have gone through the effort of applying on the online system, I have then come in for an interview and followed it up but still no decency to contact me back. If it is a rejection I just want feedback on what I did wrong!

I now have an induction for a local Wetherspoons on Wednesday whilst looking at grad schemes. Have been on JSA and now wanted a local job until I would be able to start a grad scheme and so that I have something to do with my days.

Currently looking at Civil Service and Royal Mail.

I hear RM take on loads of people around Christmas so that's a good place to try :smile:

I'm quite lucky in that I was able to speak to my former manager and get my old job back instantly. The job is **** and it's only part time, but it's not bad income and I can get as much (or as little) hours as I want. At least it's enough to pay my rent & live on until I find something 'proper'. I've made it clear that i'm out at the first opportunity.

One of my friends graduated with a first but she's got nothing to put on her CV other than that, she's not even trying to look for jobs and is just living off savings. I just look at her and think that she's going to regret doing that 6 months down the line. Would infinitely prefer to be in my position.
Original post by sr90
I hear RM take on loads of people around Christmas so that's a good place to try :smile:

I'm quite lucky in that I was able to speak to my former manager and get my old job back instantly. The job is **** and it's only part time, but it's not bad income and I can get as much (or as little) hours as I want. At least it's enough to pay my rent & live on until I find something 'proper'. I've made it clear that i'm out at the first opportunity.

One of my friends graduated with a first but she's got nothing to put on her CV other than that, she's not even trying to look for jobs and is just living off savings. I just look at her and think that she's going to regret doing that 6 months down the line. Would infinitely prefer to be in my position.

Aye, that's why I've gone for this as well as quite a lot of other local jobs including one at the Post Office. I will see if there are any other decent positions whilst in this one. Currently looking at admin work at the University of Kent. I would prefer to get office experience because of all of these positions I look at and think that would be great just to read 'office experience is essential'.

I'm also lucky that I've been able to go back to my parents so no outgoings.
Hey guys. Graduated in July like many of you and still looking for a full time graduate (or just full time) job but getting nowhere. I am currently still working at New Look which has been my job all through my third year of university but I hate it. It's not so much that I hate the company but I just hate retail but unfortunately thats all I have experience in. I am 24 and I have worked in retail since I was 16 (I've never not had a job) so I have like 8 years experience in retail but really want an office based job. I did my degree in English Language and Literature (2:1) and really want something like PR/Marketing/Events or even HR/Administration to just get experience but they all want office experience.

Where do you look? I look on the usual sites every day (Milkround, indeed, monster, Reed) etc but it's the same old jobs day in day out. I live in Lancashire but would travel to say Manchester or something if the job was right. I currently cant relocate because my partner works here and it wouldn't be fair.

God I hate job searching and rejection emails :frown:
Got an interview for a cashier job at Metro Bank. Trying to arrange a phone interview. Only reason why they gave me the interview was because I emailed them and recruitment finally decided to take a look on my application after nearly 3 weeks. :rolleyes:

Hopefully I get this.
Original post by Katiehsocks

Where do you look? I look on the usual sites every day (Milkround, indeed, monster, Reed) etc but it's the same old jobs day in day out. I live in Lancashire but would travel to say Manchester or something if the job was right. I currently cant relocate because my partner works here and it wouldn't be fair.

Go on graduatejobs.com for a grad job, quite a lot of jobs there.
Original post by Katiehsocks
Hey guys. Graduated in July like many of you and still looking for a full time graduate (or just full time) job but getting nowhere. I am currently still working at New Look which has been my job all through my third year of university but I hate it. It's not so much that I hate the company but I just hate retail but unfortunately thats all I have experience in. I am 24 and I have worked in retail since I was 16 (I've never not had a job) so I have like 8 years experience in retail but really want an office based job. I did my degree in English Language and Literature (2:1) and really want something like PR/Marketing/Events or even HR/Administration to just get experience but they all want office experience.

I totally understand where you're coming from, looking for jobs is hard. What's good is that you've outlined areas of interest for yourself, so what I recommend is thinking of big corporations/companies like Amazon and Google, Exxon, etc or even banks/accountancy firms, and combing through to see if they have any grad jobs or entry positions in these areas. I know lots tend to have HR schemes, but some may even have marketing (I'm pretty sure ones like KPMG do). From what I have seen, they don't necessarily require office experience, just relevant skills you can use to fulfill competencies. There's always regional offices for these bigger companies, so you won't necessarily have to relocate.

This was a good starting point for me, and once I started looking like this other places seemed to pop up in my mind to look at, or I got tips from other people for places to look once I gave a brief description of what I had done already.

If all else fails, have a look at your uni job board. Some of the jobs on mine are completely not suitable but I have found some good places by carefully reading through the descriptions and companies.
Just left my job

Posted from TSR Mobile
Had yet another very questionable interview... it was meant to be about 45 minutes but mine lasted only 30 minutes so I'm wary about whether or not my answers were good enough. It does state that the interview will be terminated early if it is deemed you do not show the competencies or knowledge desired. He (interviewer) didn't specifically say anything related to this but I still feel unsettled :s-smilie:
The position I got an interview for(cashier job) didn't even give me a phone interview.

Basically what probably happened is that by the time they read my application they had already filled a slot but they liked my application. I contacted them today and they said that I'm in the talent pool, so as soon as that slot becomes available I'll get a telephone interview but that's nonsense.

Going to apply for more recruitment roles. Anybody who has done recruitment do you need any experience before going into grad recruitment?
No job :sigh:
Finally got offered a job :awesome: It's for a financial services company and it pays really well, even though it's a fixed term contract i'm happy to take the risk. Having this experience on my CV will be great, as that has been the main thing letting me down.

Original post by Slowbro93
No job :sigh:

What happened with Imperial?
Original post by sr90
Finally got offered a job :awesome: It's for a financial services company and it pays really well, even though it's a fixed term contract i'm happy to take the risk. Having this experience on my CV will be great, as that has been the main thing letting me down.

What happened with Imperial?

I'm so happy for you! :woo: (seriously, I am :tongue: )

They didn't extend my contract and I suspect that someone didn't think I was focused enough and can sense that a particular person telling my line manager to not fight my case to keep me when they ran out of funding would give them brownie points as they want a promotion :sigh:
I just received all my Uni results and I got an overall mark of 67%.

I sounds ok, but given the context of my academic history, I feel so disappointed.

I didn't do very well at A-level - got BBCb.

I went from 75% and 72% in first and second year respectively to 63% in third year. I got 2.2s in all my exams. Anxiety and depression in my final year probably contributed to such a drop. I feel I've failed to prove to myself that I could really succeed on the academic front. What also upsets me is how much I wasted my Uni years - I disliked most of my time at Uni and could have saved myself the trouble by transferring to a different institution.

I would probably be suffering from (much more than mild) depression if I didn't get an offer for a 4 week placement at BBC Horizon.

In this circumstance, do you think I should just be content and move on? Or do you think I should appeal my final marks?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Iamyourfather

I sounds ok, but given the context of my academic history, I feel so disappointed.

I went from 75% and 72% in second and third year respectively to 63% in third year. I got 2.2s in all my exams. Anxiety and depression in my final year probably contributed to such a drop. I feel I've failed to prove to myself that I could really succeed on the academic front. What also upsets me is how much I wasted my Uni years - I disliked most of my time at Uni and could have saved myself the trouble by transferring to a different institution.

I would probably be suffering from (much more than mild) depression if I didn't get an offer for a 4 week placement at BBC Horizon.

In this circumstance, do you think I should just be content and move on? Or do you think I should appeal my final marks?

Do you have any particular grounds for appealing the marks? It's not A Levels, you can't just throw money at it and say "remark please".

A high 2:1 is still perfectly respectable though :smile: It gets harder as you go along, so there's nothing to be ashamed of there.
Original post by Iamyourfather

I went from 75% and 72% in second and third year respectively to 63% in third year. I got 2.2s in all my exams. Anxiety and depression in my final year probably contributed to such a drop. I feel I've failed to prove to myself that I could really succeed on the academic front. What also upsets me is how much I wasted my Uni years - I disliked most of my time at Uni and could have saved myself the trouble by transferring to a different institution.

As PT has said, having a 2.1 isn't a bad thing and those are some good marks so well done!

It does get better :hugs:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending