The Student Room Group

The Graduate Discussion Thread

Scroll to see replies

After accepting zero hour contract job 2 weeks ago I signed off and now I am back to square one I have been
given only 1 shift this week less than 10hrs.
Screw those b*** for f*** people over I thought I was going to work more hours hence why I signed off from that degrading useless job centre. I received my payment and it seems like I was underpaid for the amount of hours I worked the previous 2 weeks.
Original post by _icecream
After accepting zero hour contract job 2 weeks ago I signed off and now I am back to square one I have been
Screw those b*** for f*** people over I thought I was going to work more hours hence why I signed off from that degrading useless job centre. I received my payment and it seems like I was underpaid for the amount of hours I worked the previous 2 weeks.

I'm sorry to hear that.

It's incredibly annoying how the government claim that there are an increasing amount of jobs, but most of them are zero hour contracts (which aren't obliged to offer you a minimum amount of work).

Have you asked the employer whether they'll be offering you any more hours?
Original post by King Leonidas
I'm sorry to hear that.

It's incredibly annoying how the government claim that there are an increasing amount of jobs, but most of them are zero hour contracts (which aren't obliged to offer you a minimum amount of work).

Have you asked the employer whether they'll be offering you any more hours?

It was a job I took as I was looking for a better job, but they mentioned on my first day they'd call us if they needed us so I signed off because I didn't want to deal with those useless JSP staff that treated me like scum. The b***, can't believe this crap gov allows this to go on and how they claim unemployment is down is shameful.
Original post by _icecream

Yeah that must be frustrating.

Try talking to the people who work at the warehouse and see if they can give you more hours.
Ok I'm trying to become an administrator. I have experience of doing administrative duties for almost a year now but I don't know why I can't get any interviews whatsoever for an administrative role?

It's so god damn frustrating. Any ideas on how I can get one?
Original post by jam277
Ok I'm trying to become an administrator. I have experience of doing administrative duties for almost a year now but I don't know why I can't get any interviews whatsoever for an administrative role?

It's so god damn frustrating. Any ideas on how I can get one?

My role is fairly administrator-y I work at a university. Try jobs.ac.uk ?
Original post by lyrical_lie
My role is fairly administrator-y I work at a university. Try jobs.ac.uk ?

Will do. Registering now. :smile:
Nonsensical, this job form is saying that it'll take 20mins to complete, quite clearly if I didn't have my CV on hand and a cover letter already it would have taken an hour to complete minimum. So tedious these job forms. :argh:
Reply 788
Original post by sr90
2nd March, I don't think they've held all the interviews yet.

Hopefully, as I know it'll definitely be short term i'll do more or less anything just to have some money coming in. Anyone know of any decent agencies? I've emailed Adecco today, which I remember you recommending to me before.

I've found that agencies you can actually go into are better.
If you're in the right area Tate are pretty good, though mostly admin. I've got temp work through them a couple of times, and only waited a few days the first time, and a week or two the second time.

I've just decided a new role to apply to, sent off my cv to a few places over the weekend and already had a call back this afternoon! I don't know whether it'll get anywhere (or if I'll even actually enjoy it) but it's quite exciting
Original post by Aula
If you're in the right area Tate are pretty good, though mostly admin. I've got temp work through them a couple of times, and only waited a few days the first time, and a week or two the second time.

I've just decided a new role to apply to, sent off my cv to a few places over the weekend and already had a call back this afternoon! I don't know whether it'll get anywhere (or if I'll even actually enjoy it) but it's quite exciting

Yeh i've heard of Tate, they've definitely got a branch where I live. Do I just walk in to their office? I didn't think I could do that!
Reply 790
Original post by sr90
Yeh i've heard of Tate, they've definitely got a branch where I live. Do I just walk in to their office? I didn't think I could do that!

Well I did!

You can e-mail/call them as well, but I had a day when I was in town anyway handing out cvs to shops and places, so just popped in in the off-chance. I then had to e-mail the cv as well, and arrange a time to go and do the tests, but I find it easier to deal with a person irl.
Original post by Aula

Oh ok. I may try this.

Do they only do temp work or do they do contract work as well? I'm trying to look for a contract role or a minimum period so that I can seam into another job easily.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 792
Original post by jam277
Oh ok. I may try this.

Do they only do temp work or do they do contract work as well? I'm trying to look for a contract role or a minimum period so that I can seam into another job easily.

They do contract work too (and permanent stuff).
My two jobs - one was 3 months, the other was part time and I left as I had a better job to go to (which then fell through, but that's a whole different story). I had been there for around 3 months and they were talking about making me permanent, so it's entirely possible.

It's also worth mentioning that I had no office experience before I started with them :cute:
Original post by Aula
They do contract work too (and permanent stuff).
My two jobs - one was 3 months, the other was part time and I left as I had a better job to go to (which then fell through, but that's a whole different story). I had been there for around 3 months and they were talking about making me permanent, so it's entirely possible.

It's also worth mentioning that I had no office experience before I started with them :cute:

Good on you.

I will have to try an agency for that then.
So I got a call from Manpower today, my agent has told me that he has got my paperwork ready (to be signed). I think I will be called in later on this week to pop in.

It's an administration role at RBS's and a long term temporary contract (not sure how long this is likely to be, if anyone could shed some light on this I would appreciate it).

Still kind of skeptical, expecting everything to fall through the roof and resume my job hunt:K:
Original post by Iamyourfather
Science journalism internship at the New Statesman. It's my dream job and I couldn't stand the thought of getting rejected and having to work in retail again. I'm also a little obsessed with the person who's interviewing me so I might fan out.

Sooooo.....how'd it go:smile:
Applying for an admin job at UCL. It's saying a section is limited to 2500 words and I have to do 3 of them.

Do I have to actually do close to 7500 words or what?
Original post by jam277
Applying for an admin job at UCL. It's saying a section is limited to 2500 words and I have to do 3 of them.

Do I have to actually do close to 7500 words or what?

What's the job? Also, are you sure it didn't say characters? That's a lot of words :tongue:
Original post by Slowbro93
What's the job? Also, are you sure it didn't say characters? That's a lot of words :tongue:

Just a general administrator job. It says this below

This section is limited to 2500 words.
Original post by jam277
Just a general administrator job. It says this below

:lolwut: That's longer than an essay :erm:

Could you send me over the link? I've applied to a lot of uni jobs (where I got to interview stage for many) and you'll be fine if your whole app is 500 words tbh

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending