The Student Room Group

Is there Anti-English sentiment in Scotland?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by a729
Is there a anti-english sentiment is Scotland?

Considering the way Farage was treated and told to 'go back to England'

We're talking about a small gang of extremists here. Just because a bunch of EDL thugs shout the same at Asian people doesn't mean England is a horrendously racist country.

Scotland is perhaps poor in standing up to this sort of proto-fascism, but ultimately the current constitutional debate has infantilised Scottish politics. The rot has gone far beyond turning a blind eye to racism.
(edited 10 years ago)
Of course there is!

The green eyed monster rears its ugly head.
Original post by OMGWTFBBQ
Of course there is!

The green eyed monster rears its ugly head.

Yes, because we're always complaining about how England 'gets too much money' and has free higher education...

Oh wait... :rolleyes:
Reply 63
Original post by cowsforsale
Actually, Yes vote % is increasing and with still just under 500 days to go, looks good - especially the week that's just past, what with the Denis Healey interview and Marageret Curran's subsequent admission about lying about the oil, the Labour party disbanding from the Better Together movement, in-fighting within the tories about EU and Mr Farage's fail in Edinburgh.

Also, when you think of the folks who support Better Together such as the Orange order, BNP, Ukip and the shady donors involved etc..

Are you trying to parody an absolute nutcase or does is it just your natural default? Because if you believe that sort of nonsense, you are not only a fool, you're entirely irrational.
Original post by Barden
Yes, because we're always complaining about how England 'gets too much money' and has free higher education...

Oh wait... :rolleyes:

And yet there is still a clear and evident jealously.

Shame you Scots can't just be happily distracted by your pretty trinket policies.
And yet there is still a clear and evident jealously.

Is there?

Do elaborate...
Original post by MatureStudent36
Which lies and mis truths would those be? Prey tell?

Anti-Englisness in Scotland is "rife", has been rising since devolution and has been fanned by SNP policies. And that some mythical L&B police report backed this all up.

That's only two sentences and I can count 4 lies/mis-truths.
Original post by Barden
Is there?

Do elaborate...

It's evident - no elaboration necessary.
It's evident

Direct me to this evidence then...
Original post by Barden
Direct me to this evidence then...

Speak to any Scot and you will hear a twang of jealousy in their voice.

And that's not just the accent.
Speak to any Scot and you will hear a twang of jealousy in their voice.

And that's not just the accent.

I see...

Can you let go of my leg now, please?
Original post by L i b
Are you trying to parody an absolute nutcase or does is it just your natural default? Because if you believe that sort of nonsense, you are not only a fool, you're entirely irrational.

Cool story.

By the way, I'm still waiting for a reply...

Original post by L i b

As far as I can see, that's rubbish. Oil projections and outturns were always a matter of public record, and outturn was well within projected margins: indeed, if anything, we overestimated the level of oil production rather than underestimated.

Denis Healey was the worst chancellor in the post-war period. He makes Gordon Brown look like a shining beacon of fiscal prudence. Why we should even pay this man any attention at all, never mind when the facts are against him, is beyond me.

cowsforsale
Links to the facts?

Ignoring your conflict of interests, what does Denis Healey stand to gain from lying? He was there at the time so don't take any offence when I value his judgement far greater than yours.

regardless, from what I understand about that part in history, the Labour government in charge at the time were absolutely in the ****ter and needed to borrow money from the IMF. In addition, they were facing the possibility of Scotland breaking away and taking the revenue from the oil sector with them. Are you honestly telling me the government would't concoct lies (like scare stories about oil reserves/prices etc.. similar to what we are seeing from Better Together) to prevent the latter from happening? Politicians have lied on numerous occasions as of late...

So where are the facts?
Original post by Gordon1985
Anti-Englisness in Scotland is "rife", has been rising since devolution and has been fanned by SNP policies. And that some mythical L&B police report backed this all up.

That's only two sentences and I can count 4 lies/mis-truths.

I've never said i was rife. Best not to quote Maths Tutor as a reliable source. I've merely highlighted that it is on the increase. (The expected result of nationalism) As backed up by numerous reports in the media in Dec 2012.

And the Mythical Lothian and Borders report was from here.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anglophobia
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/antienglish-taunts-drive-family-over-the-border-1071347.html
Reply 73
Original post by cowsforsale
Cool story.

Clever chap.

By the way, I'm still waiting for a reply...

So where are the facts?

Enjoy.

North Sea Oil estimates in 1973 of between 70 and 100 million tons by 1980-- http://hansard.millbanksystems.com/written_answers/1973/oct/23/north-sea-oil#S5CV0861P0_19731023_CWA_272

Actual output in 1980 (UK wide, not just in the North Sea): 80.5 million tons:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/petroleum-chapter-3-digest-of-united-kingdom-energy-statistics-dukes

So, no, lies were not concocted. I'm not sure how much you understand about the business of government, but key statistics are formulated by civil servants, not simply made up by politicians when they fancy it. Government departments cannot simply go around making up figures.

If you look back at the period, the UK Government made it more than clear that oil was going to be a huge economic boon for this country. That is why in the 1974 elections, the SNP ran so heavily on it. In reality, we often overestimated how much oil there would be.
(edited 10 years ago)
I've never said i was rife. Best not to quote Maths Tutor as a reliable source. I've merely highlighted that it is on the increase. (The expected result of nationalism) As backed up by numerous reports in the media in Dec 2012.

And the Mythical Lothian and Borders report was from here.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anglophobia
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/antienglish-taunts-drive-family-over-the-border-1071347.html

Have you even read that wiki page. There is nothing about a L&B police report. There is a 2005 report from The University of Glasgow and one comment from a L&B race relations officer.

The 2005 study directly contradicts what you are saying (that anti-Englishness is increasing). You have zero evidence that the SNP are directly or indirectly responsible for an increase that demonstratably does not even exist.

All this has already been pointed out to you.
Original post by Gordon1985
Have you even read that wiki page. There is nothing about a L&B police report. There is a 2005 report from The University of Glasgow and one comment from a L&B race relations officer.

The 2005 study directly contradicts what you are saying (that anti-Englishness is increasing). You have zero evidence that the SNP are directly or indirectly responsible for an increase that demonstratably does not even exist.

All this has already been pointed out to you.

Yes. I've read it. Correlation,1999. As I've said. It's not rife, but nationalism has stoked it as per all the news releases in December last year
Reply 76
Arguments that involve where you were born (Which you don't choose, by the way); and the state of the country you may have no choice but to reside in, are stupid.

Anyway, I'm hoping to move to Edinburgh in a few years time, so I do hope there aren't many anti-English feelings, as I am definitely not trying to cause trouble by being from another country.
Original post by JamesJJT
Arguments that involve where you were born (Which you don't choose, by the way); and the state of the country you may have no choice but to reside in, are stupid.

Anyway, I'm hoping to move to Edinburgh in a few years time, so I do hope there aren't many anti-English feelings, as I am definitely not trying to cause trouble by being from another country.

You'll like Edinburgh.
Reply 78
You'll like Edinburgh.

I've only been twice but it's a beautiful place :biggrin:
No anti English as such, it can boil over a bit if English people get a bit too much in peoples faces like I see English people wearing England shirts in Scotland then having cheesy grins on their faces and looking at people even worse when they are drunk and being rude to everyone and when this is mentioned it becomes across like they think they are the victims.

But scum is scum so if you see chavs they would harass Scottish people too.

Think of it like a black or Asian person talking to a white person and assuming they are racist just because they are white, that comment is racist but they do not see it or realise it is so.

I have a neutral accent to the point most people assume I am English, even English people often double check my accent as they say I sound Northern English, yet I keep speaking to people in pubs and when they assume I am English they offer me pints or say if there is any problems they will back me up etc.

However in ENGLAND, I have been given abuse even just over the border and when in 1st year of uni my flatmate started giving me abuse every time I tried speaking to him bringing up how unfair things were for the English and Scotland had it easy and always gave me evil looks and never told me when he was going out with the others yet the others were nice to me.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending