The Student Room Group

A level subjects help please law

Hi guys,

I'm currently finishing off my gcse's and am picking my A levels. I want to study law at a good uni later on. so far i've chosen these subjects at A Level, are these fine? and are they too difficult??

English Literature,
History,
Law,
Economics

thanks in advance :smile: :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
How are you at maths?
All seem fine for law, but personally I'd be tempted to replace English with politics :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by navmirza
Hi guys,

I'm currently finishing off my gcse's and am picking my A levels. I want to study law at a good uni later on. so far i've chosen these subjects at A Level, are these fine? and are they too difficult??

English Literature,
History,
Law,
Economics

^ Why?! English Lit is great for law

They're all fine apart from law. Many unis prefer you not to take law as it can be seen as a misleading and a simplistic version of what is taught at uni.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Hi guys,

English Literature,
History,
Law,
Economics

They're ideal subjects. Consider replacing Law with perhaps the likes of Politics/GovPol or Maths, but other than that you're good to go. Can't comment on the difficulty as I'm also at GCSE, but from what I have heard, English Lit isn't much of a step up from GCSE (assuming you're fairly good at it already) and neither is History :smile:
Original post by laylarose
They're ideal subjects. Consider replacing Law with perhaps the likes of Politics/GovPol or Maths, but other than that you're good to go. Can't comment on the difficulty as I'm also at GCSE, but from what I have heard, English Lit isn't much of a step up from GCSE (assuming you're fairly good at it already) and neither is History :smile:

depends really, I found history to be a massive step-up from GCSE and I found english lit pretty hard at AS even though I found it easy at GCSE.
Reply 6
Hi guys,

English Literature,
History,
Law,
Economics

Don't do law, do maths instead.
Reply 7
Hi guys,

English Literature,
History,
Law,
Economics

I did gcse maths in year 10 and got an A so i was put into the a level class but i was really struggling, so i dropped it. i guess i could pick it up again but i really prefer essay based subjects
Reply 8
Original post by laylarose

i guess i could do Gov/politics but i've heard they're both the same
Reply 9
Original post by thelion0
How are you at maths?

I did gcse maths in year 10 and got an A so i was put into the a level class but i was really struggling, so i dropped it. i guess i could pick it up again but i really prefer essay based subjects
Reply 10
Original post by nespix
^ Why?! English Lit is great for law

They're all fine apart from law. Many unis prefer you not to take law as it can be seen as a misleading and a simplistic version of what is taught at uni.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've heard many mixed views on picking law. I'm not too sure myself. I have spoken to a few lawyers and law students and they've all said that law at a level is fine and apparently it helped then in the second year of uni. however, I've also heard from people, like yourself that law isn't good. i do have a passion to study it at a level and i thought to myself if i got an A* or A then no uni can really put it against me. don't you think?
Reply 11
I think you should replace Law itself with a Science, how good are you in them?

Sciences generally demonstrate a ability of getting your head around difficult concepts, which willl prove useful in Law, as well as throwing in variety in your subjects (making you seem special :h:)
Reply 12
Hi guys,

English Literature,
History,
Law,
Economics

They're absolutely fine. I found economics pretty straightforward, and history to be a bit more challenging. That's more because of the way in which you're examined, rather than the course/s being difficult.

You mention you wish to study law at a good uni, some good uni's say they prefer students to study other subjects other than law at A level, because they think it'll be better preparation for studying law at uni. So what you could do is stick to your current plan, and then drop law at A2, and that should be fine to meet any good uni's requirements/preferences.
Reply 13
Original post by lolface32
I think you should replace Law itself with a Science, how good are you in them?

Sciences generally demonstrate a ability of getting your head around difficult concepts, which willl prove useful in Law, as well as throwing in variety in your subjects (making you seem special :h:)

i CAN not do science at all lol. I guess im not too bad at science but i do not have any interest in science whatsoever so i don't think i could do that.
Reply 14
i CAN not do science at all lol. I guess im not too bad at science but i do not have any interest in science whatsoever so i don't think i could do that.

What are you predicted in GCSE Lit and History?
Reply 15
Original post by lolface32
What are you predicted in GCSE Lit and History?

A in both. realistically speaking i reckon i'll get an A* in history though, not to sound to big headed lol:colondollar:
Reply 16
They are all fine :smile: But yes: They are ALL hard including A Level Law.
Reply 17
A in both. realistically speaking i reckon i'll get an A* in history though, not to sound to big headed lol:colondollar:

hahaha, nothing wrong with being good at something :wink:
Reply 18
Hi guys,

English Literature,
History,
Law,
Economics

Theres alot to learn in law esp A2 I personally don't like it lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi guys,

English Literature,
History,
Law,
Economics

Those seem more than fine. I've got offers to study Law at university studying History, Law and Use of Maths at A Level so taking law definitely isn't counted against you.

I think you should stick with what you've selected, but if you do desire a change, from what I know, I would recommend doing at least two essay subjects. Not to push you in any particular direction, but I've really enjoyed A Level History.

Quick Reply

Latest