The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
jason01
I think that there is no such thing as intelligence.
If you did not work hard for your biology exam for instance you will not get the grade you wanted.

haha i disagree....but then i would im in mensa.i think it is mainly hardwork that gets your grades and intelligence might play a part in it but being great at verbal reasoning for example doesnt mean you can walk a maths exam!
Reply 21
well for jan exams i did 4 days revision an got an A. i did a weeks for psychology and got an A an same for business. but i remb goin into these exams i felt relaxed and confident of the work (4 sum reson) an i think that attidude really helped me. so i think that its in between but everyones different.
Reply 22
Its just nature vs. nurture all over again and most people nowadays would say.....it HAS to be both (And yes, I am exploiting this thread as a way of revising for my Psych paper )
Reply 23
Empath
Im doing AS levels ... seriously sorry about you vertebrae ... hope u get better for the summer to party at the end of these exams...:biggrin: And about the revision ... dont worry around 80% of the people sitting the exam wont have revised as much as they would have like to ... lol...:smile: Cheer Up...:biggrin:

cheers for the support lol I'm doing as's and a2's. I'll be partying regardless of the back lol :biggrin:
Reply 24
ofcourse there is a one thing as such as intelligence. but i divide it into 3 categories:
academic intelligence
creative intelligence
intellectual intelligence
i think with studying a subject there is one more factor which plays a huge role in your level of achievement, which is your Interest toward the subject.

even if you are reletively intelligent, you cannot study if you have no interest and therefore no intention to revise.
however, even if you are'nt the brightest lot in your class, if you like the subject, and you ask questions in the class, and actually have fun revising, you would find that more information gets "accepted" into the brain.

what do you think? I believe in teachers who are interested in the subject more than teachers with incredible intelligence....
Some people are just naturally adapted for exams, coursework etc. but I think when it comes to A levels it isn't just about natural intelligence - hard work is required. At GCSE many people could get away with doing no work and get straight A's/A*'s just because they have a good memory..but A levels are different because they involve a lot more lateral thinking. I don't think its possible to get A's based on just hard work or just intelligence, it needs to be a combination of both.
Reply 27
Popa Dom
I think it depends on the subject really, like for maths there are a lot of people around who can get high As without doing any work at all, but I would have thought that for something like biology where a lot of remembering and learning is required then it would be possible to get high grades through sheer hard work.

Yes, it is easily possible to get away with very little work with FM/Physics combination. Maybe only pipped by Triple Media Studies.
Reply 28
Hard work, although i cant learn parrot fashion so I need to udnerstand the stuff and i suck at "learning subjects".
Reply 29
Anyone who works hard throughout the year will get good grades

So HARD WORK is the most important aspect

I didnt workhard so I got crap grades even though I consider myself to be smart :wink:

Latest