The Student Room Group

Best country to study UK or Spain?

I have currently finished my sixth form studies. Last year I applied to study medicine in England but they turned me down but Sussex and Brighton University offered me a place in Biomedical sciences, which I was very happy about. But now it looks that I might get the mark to study Medicine in Spain and I am confused about what to do. If I start studying Medicine in Spain, can I transfer to a British University in a couple of years? Is it going to be easier for me if I am already a medical student? Or shall I take Biomedical sciences in UK and move onto Medicine later on? I am a bit confused. What would you advice me to do?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
I'd say the UK (imo).
You won't be able to transfer to any UK medical school. Also clinical medicine will also be much more difficult as all the patients will speak spanish.

I would do biomedical sciences at BSMS, then graduate entry medicine. I know they offer interviews to all biomed graduates who have applied to do medicine at BSMS before.
Reply 3
But if I study two years of Medicine in Spain, will I not be able to transfer to a UK university to follow my studies in Medicine?
Reply 4
no, UK medical schools do not accept transfers
Reply 5
Original post by star95
But if I study two years of Medicine in Spain, will I not be able to transfer to a UK university to follow my studies in Medicine?

No, medical schools here rarely accept transfers from other UK schools let alone from abroad.

I would think carefully before going to medical school in Spain, from what I hear their English language medical schools charge very high fees indeed (€20,000 per year iirc) and the course is 6 years long - so make sure you have the financial means to stick it out.
Reply 6
]Hey guys!! I want to study medicine too n I live in Spain. I havent yet completed my 6th form but my teachers said I should start looking out for unis. I m confused about studying here or in UK too, since I prefer studying in the UK but there's the problem of finding a job when I get back here :frown:
Personally I prefer UK coz its all in English.
I hv not heard about any eng medicine unis in Spain, n if u have pls enlighten me!! :biggrin:
Reply 7
The English speaking medical schools are private and very expensive like The European University in Madrid, but the public Universities are a lot cheaper than the English ones.
My question is which country is best or has better reputation to study Medicine UK or Spain. If you look at the ranking British Universities have top places, should I rely on that?
About University transfers, I met a medical student from Imperial College and he was transferred from Oxford University, He never mentioned about difficulties with the transfer.
By the way Jazelle in what area do you live in Spain? I live in the Alicante area.
Reply 8
Uhmm I live in Málaga but study in a british school. N like even through I really want to study medicine to become a surgeon, the long years and sacrifices scare me n make me question myself if i really want to do this. N since i only have little time to decide, i would like to know how all of u actually realized u all were cut out for this???? Like I want to make sure that I actually want this for me and not just because I m influenced by other things such a Grey's Anatomy (i know in real life its really different)
I m sorry, i know i m shifting away from ur original question but would really appreciate the help :smile: :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by star95
The English speaking medical schools are private and very expensive like The European University in Madrid, but the public Universities are a lot cheaper than the English ones.
My question is which country is best or has better reputation to study Medicine UK or Spain. If you look at the ranking British Universities have top places, should I rely on that?
About University transfers, I met a medical student from Imperial College and he was transferred from Oxford University, He never mentioned about difficulties with the transfer.
By the way Jazelle in what area do you live in Spain? I live in the Alicante area.

Oxford and Cambridge have a pre-arranged agreement to have some of their students complete their clinical years in London. This is because there are not enough spaces for all their students to complete their clinical years in oxford and Cambridge. (St Andrews has a similar arrangement with Barts and Manchester)

Outside of this arrangement transfers are very rare and difficult.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending