The Student Room Group
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath

University of Bath official representative

Scroll to see replies

Hi,

I firmed for MSc. Automotive Engineering at Bath. I registered for accommodation on the website and was supposed to receive an email detailing further instructions but I still haven't received it. It's almost been a week. I tried with a different email ID but still no email.
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath
Hi,

I have firmed for Msc. Automotive Engineering at Bath. I registered for accommodation as it says on the site. I was supposed to receive an email detailing further instructions but unfortunately I haven't received any. It's almost been a week and I have tried with a different email ID as well but still no email.
Reply 622
My daughter has just gone to choose her accommodation and there is virtually nothing left unless she wants to share a room or live in the city! So what happens to all the rooms that have been allocated to students that unfortunately don't get a place?

I do not want her having to live in the city, and miss out on uni life!!

This is a little bit of feedback as a parent, I am most disappointed with the way Bath uni treats its applicants in many respects. You were the last university offering her a place, all the others made offers within 2 weeks, which meant there was only one offer holder open day we could come to, and now the problem with the accommodation? Too slow with your offers and too quick with allocating rooms, why do you not wait to see who actually gets in first as other unis do?

So what happens now? If she meets her offer i want her to enjoy uni not have to put up with the possibility of living with someone she doesn't get on with, not at the huge price its costing me!
Original post by Suey28
My daughter has just gone to choose her accommodation and there is virtually nothing left unless she wants to share a room or live in the city! So what happens to all the rooms that have been allocated to students that unfortunately don't get a place?

This is a little bit of feedback as a parent, I am most disappointed with the way Bath uni treats its applicants in many respects. You were the last university offering her a place, all the others made offers within 2 weeks, which meant there was only one offer holder open day we could come to, and now the problem with the accommodation? Too slow with your offers and too quick with allocating rooms, why do you not wait to see who actually gets in first as other unis do?

So what happens now? If she meets her offer i want her to enjoy uni not have to put up with the possibility of living with someone she doesn't get on with, not at the huge price its costing me!

I'd suggest letting your daughter make her own decisions. It is extremely poor practice to over-intrude into your daughter's life, who, no doubt, is mature enough to use the internet herself.

Irrespective, hopefully your daughter won't miss out on "uni life" and its virtues, such as the D.
Reply 624
Original post by Bath~Student
I'd suggest letting your daughter make her own decisions. It is extremely poor practice to over-intrude into your daughter's life, who, no doubt, is mature enough to use the internet herself.

Irrespective, hopefully your daughter won't miss out on "uni life" and its virtues, such as the D.

Thank you for your comments, such as they are.

Of course she will make her own decisions, but surely it is a job of a parent to care about their children, wanting them to enjoy university life and if i can help her in anyway, i can see no problem with that.

You seem to have a massive chip on your shoulder about many things, it seems to me it is very poor practice for you to belittle peoples comments, unfortunately when reading some of your posts, it makes me very worried indeed if you are indicative of the students that will be studying at Bath

I would still be interested to hear what happens to the accommodation that students have been allocated, who don't meet their grades. Does this go to people who have Bath as their second choice? Surely if you firm the University you should have the better choice rather than having to share of live in the city?
Original post by Suey28

Last year there were quite a lot of people who applied for accommodation late who got the offer to change to on campus accommodation after results (according to last years accommodation forum anyway), I believe these people get priority over those who have bath as insurance/get in through clearing or adjustment
Original post by Bath~Student

oh you are a tool.
Reply 627
Original post by Robynb_97
Last year there were quite a lot of people who applied for accommodation late who got the offer to change to on campus accommodation after results (according to last years accommodation forum anyway), I believe these people get priority over those who have bath as insurance/get in through clearing or adjustment

That is great to know, thank you for the information :-)
We are holding two Open Days next week, on Thursday 16 and Friday 17 June.

If you have any questions about visiting us on these days, feel free to ask on our Open Days thread and we will respond as quickly as possible.
Hi! I have received and accepted an offer from Bath university to study Computer Science starting this year. However, I made the (hard) decision of making it my insurance choice. I would like to know how likely it is that I will get accommodation on campus if I do start to study there. I would apply as soon as I know my results if that makes any difference.

Thank you!
Original post by Alby1234
Hi! I have received and accepted an offer from Bath university to study Computer Science starting this year. However, I made the (hard) decision of making it my insurance choice. I would like to know how likely it is that I will get accommodation on campus if I do start to study there. I would apply as soon as I know my results if that makes any difference.

Thank you!

Hi,

Thanks for your question.

As I am sure you are aware unfortunately we cannot guarantee accommodation to students who make Bath their insurance choice as we have a limited amount of university accommodation.

If you end up taking up your place at Bath then you will be able to apply for accommodation in August once your place at Bath becomes Firm. It is not possible to say how likely it is that spaces will be available, but the Accommodation Office will do their best to find you a room.

You can find more details, and contact details for the Accommodation Office if you would like to speak to them directly, by visiting our Accommodation webpages.

Steve
Reply 631
Hi i was just wondering how lenient Bath are with grades. I am uncertain as to whether I will achieve the grades to do the course- partially due to personal circumstances, which my school have told Bath about. If i missed my offer by one grade are they likely to let me in?
Original post by js171
Hi i was just wondering how lenient Bath are with grades. I am uncertain as to whether I will achieve the grades to do the course- partially due to personal circumstances, which my school have told Bath about. If i missed my offer by one grade are they likely to let me in?

Hi,

This is a question we get a lot, and there is guidance available on our questions about results webpage.

In short, if spaces remain we will look to admit 'near miss' applicants, but it is impossible to predict how many spaces may remain once offer holders have been admitted and therefore we cannot say for certain whether we will be able to admit 'near miss' students, and if so how lenient we could be.

I am glad that your school have told us about your individual circumstances, and this will have been noted on your application.

Good luck with your results!

Steve
Reply 633
Original post by University Of Bath
Hi,

This is a question we get a lot, and there is guidance available on our questions about results webpage.

In short, if spaces remain we will look to admit 'near miss' applicants, but it is impossible to predict how many spaces may remain once offer holders have been admitted and therefore we cannot say for certain whether we will be able to admit 'near miss' students, and if so how lenient we could be.

I am glad that your school have told us about your individual circumstances, and this will have been noted on your application.

Good luck with your results!

Steve

Thank you! I was also wondering about Bath's policy on offering a different course if you don't make it on the one you applied for?
Original post by js171
Thank you! I was also wondering about Bath's policy on offering a different course if you don't make it on the one you applied for?

Hi,

This is something we have been able to do in the past, but of course it does depend on whether spaces are available and we have only ever been able to offer switches for a limited number of courses.

Good luck!

Steve
Hi Steve,

I'm an IB student and I just got my results, the conditions were 36 overall with 666 or 765 higher levels, and i got 38 with 665, and i missed that 7 in my HL by 3 marks, is there any way for me to appeal my case? The course is business administration (N100).

Thanks a lot.
Hi,

I've recently finished my AS exams and thus now looking into universities. I am considering Bath for Physics. A question I have is: does bath take into account contextual data? (i.e. postcode & average A-level attainment at college)

Thanks
Original post by DarkEnergy
Hi,

I've recently finished my AS exams and thus now looking into universities. I am considering Bath for Physics. A question I have is: does bath take into account contextual data? (i.e. postcode & average A-level attainment at college)

Thanks

Hi,

Sorry for the delay in responding to your post.

We take into consideration any contextual data or factors which might have caused specific difficulties or disruption to a student’s studies that are presented in a UCAS application. This allows us to gain as full an understanding of our applicants as possible so that our decisions are also informed by the context in which each student has been studying.

The use of contextual information does not result in either an automatic offer of a place or a lower offer to a student. However, we are keen to extend the diversity of our student population, and will take into account contextual information when we are deciding whether or not a student is suitable for an offer and whether or not an offer holder is suitable for a place should their final grades be weaker than required.

I hope that this helps to answer your query.

Steve
Hi,
I am looking to apply for Natural Sciences (major in chemistry and minor in biochemistry) at Bath as like the idea of studying a range of sciences, but am applying for Chemistry at Oxford as it does not do natural sciences. I have 11 A*s at GCSE and 5 As at AS level, and am taking A levels in chemistry, biology, maths and further maths. To apply for oxford I have to focus my personal statement on chemistry, and was wondering would I still be considered for the natural sciences course?
Thank you!
Jess
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jessica49
Hi,
I am looking to apply for Natural Sciences (major in chemistry and minor in biochemistry) at Bath as like the idea of studying a range of sciences, but am applying for Chemistry at Oxford as it does not do natural sciences. I have 11 A*s at GCSE and 5 As at AS level, and am taking A levels in chemistry, biology, maths and further maths. To apply for oxford I have to focus my personal statement on chemistry, and was wondering would I still be considered for the natural sciences course?
Thank you!
Jess

Hi Jess,

We will certainly still consider you even if your personal statement is geared towards Chemistry. It may be the case that we request a second personal statement if the Admissions Officer wants to know more about your interest in Natural Sciences.

If you haven't already done so and are keen to visit Bath our next Open Day is on 17 September.

Good luck!

Steve

Quick Reply

Latest