The Student Room Group
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath

University of Bath official representative

Scroll to see replies

Original post by University Of Bath
Hi Fas,

Thanks for your question, and congratulations on your AS results.

As we cannot accurately predict what the demand for a course will be, or what the standard of the applications we receive will be, it is difficult to say whether you should expect to receive an offer if you do apply for our Economics programme.

However, the grades you have achieved so far are in line with our typical offer for Economics, and so it is certainly worth applying for this course as we will have made offers to applicants expecting to meet this typical offer in recent years.

Good luck!

Steve

Thank you Steve ! just a final question if that's ok :smile: :

would my Economics mark being a B instead of an A ( only one mark off ) hinder my application by a lot , or would it be negligible ?

Thanks,
Fas
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath
Reply 61
Am I allowed to bring a George foreman grill?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 62
Original post by Squirb
Am I allowed to bring a George foreman grill?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hope so, I'm planning on bringing one too!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Fas
Thank you Steve ! just a final question if that's ok :smile: :

would my Economics mark being a B instead of an A ( only one mark off ) hinder my application by a lot , or would it be negligible ?

Thanks,
Fas

Hi Fas,

It is difficult to say for the same reason as given in my previous answer- we cannot anticipate what the standard of applications will be.

However, remember that we look at the whole application (including the personal statement, academic reference, and predicted grades) and so the fact that you have missed out on an A grade in Economics by such a small margin will be considered in the context of your overall application.

Good luck!

Steve
Reply 64
Hi Fas,

It is difficult to say for the same reason as given in my previous answer- we cannot anticipate what the standard of applications will be.

However, remember that we look at the whole application (including the personal statement, academic reference, and predicted grades) and so the fact that you have missed out on an A grade in Economics by such a small margin will be considered in the context of your overall application.

Good luck!

Steve

Would you recommend travelling to bath uni from London instead of staying in accommodation?

Also how do I find out if I'm eligible for the £3000/£5000 scholarships?
Original post by Vorsah
Would you recommend travelling to bath uni from London instead of staying in accommodation?

Also how do I find out if I'm eligible for the £3000/£5000 scholarships?

Hi Vorsah,

Thanks for your question.

While each individual’s circumstances are unique, I would not recommend travelling from London to study in Bath. The journey time would be at least 2hours by train (door to door) and 2.5hours by car (assuming you were based in West London). Meanwhile the cost for a railcard would be c. £700 per month.

In addition, living so far away would make it far more difficult to become settled at the University and make the most of your time here. It would certainly be easier and cheaper to live in Bath!

In relation to eligibility for scholarships please visit our funding webpages. Here you will find details of available awards and eligibility criteria.

If you have any further questions please do let me know.

Thanks,

Steve
Reply 66
Hi Rafi,

Solsbury court are all single rooms.

With regards to buying things for your room, in Solsbury Court all ben linen can be provided on loan so there is no need to buy/bring your own bedding.

Further details can be found by visiting the Solsbury Court page on our Study site or by visiting our accommodation webpages.

Thanks,

Steve

Hi,

Trying to complete the ROL, however, on the fees and payments page it says the university have not yet received details from the student loans company. Is this an issue I have to follow up on or should I just wait?
Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 67
How and when can I access my @bath.ac.uk email account? Do I have to create one or is it already done?

Also do you know how much is costs to loan bed linen for Solsbury accommodation?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Owniee
How and when can I access my @bath.ac.uk email account? Do I have to create one or is it already done?

I was wondering the same thing. I did registration on-line today but I still don't seem to have one. I had assumed you got it as part of the registration process.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Owniee

I just checked again and now I do have an email account. It seems that it takes some time after registration on-line to be set up. I found my address my logging into my account here: https://www.bath.ac.uk/account/
Reply 70
Original post by GeekyNick
I just checked again and now I do have an email account. It seems that it takes some time after registration on-line to be set up. I found my address my logging into my account here: https://www.bath.ac.uk/account/

Excellent, thanks
Reply 71
Is there any way we can request another room instead of the one that we have been allocated ?
Can I call the accommodation office to discuss this ?

Also, can I please know what the communal bathrooms/showers are like in Brendon Court.
Are they like in the pictures here http://www.bath.ac.uk/study/ug/accommodation/types/campus/brendon-court/index.html
are they in a separate room for each shower or are they all together ?

Thanks
Reply 72
Hello!

I am applying to Bath for Business Administration 2014 and it would be my first choice university. My AS grades were AAAB in Psychology, Business Studies, Art and Philosophy and Ethics, and my predicted grades will be A*A*A(possibly A*)A.
However, I'm in the process of deciding whether to drop Philosophy and Ethics or not - would taking all four subjects at A2 level give me an advantage over just taking the three? Also, are business studies and psychology viewed as 'soft subjects' at all - would I be less likely to receive an offer in comparison with someone doing subjects such as History, Chemistry and English?

Thank you :smile:
Reply 73
Is our insurance automatically included or do we have to accept a contract/contact endsleigh whatever?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jasmiine
Hello!

I am applying to Bath for Business Administration 2014 and it would be my first choice university. My AS grades were AAAB in Psychology, Business Studies, Art and Philosophy and Ethics, and my predicted grades will be A*A*A(possibly A*)A.
However, I'm in the process of deciding whether to drop Philosophy and Ethics or not - would taking all four subjects at A2 level give me an advantage over just taking the three? Also, are business studies and psychology viewed as 'soft subjects' at all - would I be less likely to receive an offer in comparison with someone doing subjects such as History, Chemistry and English?

Thank you :smile:

Hi jasmiine,

It is very difficult to answer this type of query as we take into account all of an application (not just grades and predicted grades), and also the level of competition for a given course can vary from year to year.

As I am sure you have seen our entry requirements for Business Administration can be found by visiting our E-prospects, and your grades and predicted grades are certainly in line with our standard offer for this course.

It is difficult to say whether you should drop a course. If competition is very high then you may benefit from having studied a fourth subject, but I would not advise you to study a fourth subject if you/your teachers feel this could jeopardise your chances of meeting our standard offer in the other three subjects.

I am sorry I cannot offer a more definitive answer!

Steve
Original post by Squirb
Is our insurance automatically included or do we have to accept a contract/contact endsleigh whatever?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi Squirb,

Information on insurance can be found within our accommodation webpages .

The University will arrange core possessions insurance but this will not cover your processions if they are in transit or transferring between rooms.

Once you have accepted your accommodation contract and downloaded your policy certificate you will be able to decide whether to extend your insurance.

I hope this information is helpful!

Steve
Reply 76
Hello Sir,
I'm currently completing my A levels (A2) and I wish to apply to the university of Bath as an international applicant (from Thailand) for BSc in Economics. I received my AS level results and they were not very impressive...I opted for Economics, Math, Business studies and Accounting. The grades were AABC respectively. I am not doing Accounting for A levels as I couldn't cope up with the syllabus for various reasons.
My predicted grades are A*AA. So do you think my Academic profile is good enough for this university and worth applying ?
P.S. My IGCSE's grades were : 3A*, 4As and a D in English language (quite surprising but I managed to cover it up by doing IELTS and I got a score of 8) Do you think it will be acceptable ?
Your response will be appreciated.
Thanks,
Yohan
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 77
Could I get some more information about freshers week please? I missed out on a wristband and was wondering if there are any events which are exclusive to wristband holders, and also how much it would roughly cost for entrance to an event without a band?
Original post by Yohann
Hello Sir,
I'm currently completing my A levels (A2) and I wish to apply to the university of Bath as an international applicant (from Thailand) for BSc in Economics. I received my AS level results and they were not very impressive...I opted for Economics, Math, Business studies and Accounting. The grades were AABC respectively. I am not doing Accounting for A levels as I couldn't cope up with the syllabus for various reasons.
My predicted grades are A*AA. So do you think my Academic profile is good enough for this university and worth applying ?
P.S. My IGCSE's grades were : 3A*, 4As and a D in English language (quite surprising but I managed to cover it up by doing IELTS and I got a score of 8) Do you think it will be acceptable ?
Your response will be appreciated.
Thanks,
Yohan

Hi Yohann,

As I am sure you have seen from our online prospectus our entry requirements for Economics are A*AA, to include Maths. As you have achieved AAB at AS level, and are predicted to obtain A*AA, then I certainly feel it is worth applying if you are keen to study Economics at Bath.

With regards to English language, we would be looking for IELTS 7, with 7 in writing and at least 6.5 in all other elements. It must be an academic (not a general) IELTS certificate and it must be obtained no more than two years before the start of your course. You can find more information on our English Language requirements within our Study pages.

I hope this information is helpful.

Steve
Original post by Owniee
Could I get some more information about freshers week please? I missed out on a wristband and was wondering if there are any events which are exclusive to wristband holders, and also how much it would roughly cost for entrance to an event without a band?

Hi Owniee,

All events are open to both wristband holders and non-wristband holders. There are some venues with limited capacity however, and priority entrance will be given to those with wristbands so non-wristband holders may face queues at the main events.

There will be alternative events and film nights on every night as well if you are unable to get into the main events, and loads of day events- BBQs, canal walks, city tours, the Campus Challenge, sports day and activities etc. These are open to everyone so there will be loads of opportunities for you to get involved. Full information can be found on our Freshers’ website.

For non-wristband holders, the main events will be £10 each and the alternative events can be up to £5.

There will also be an opportunity to buy a wristband on Monday 23rd in The Tub at 3pm.

I hope this answers your query, and that you have a great Freshers' week!

Steve

Quick Reply

Latest