The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Adenosine
I think they're both pretty much equal. Although, i'll probably say rape because the victim would constantly be in mental pain. With murder I guess it's just quick and you're gone.

Rape victims can kill themselves if they feel it's so bad. A lot do, but most don't, proving that in general, death is worse, and by extension, murder is even worse.
Original post by Idle
How exactly though can you tell they are genuine if they have not been investigated? I'm not saying they are not just interested.

It's just a well known fact that only about a third of rapes get reported. I mean, only the people involved will know if an actual rape occurred. But it is a pretty well known fact that only a third are reported. Although apparently it isn't very well known on here

Original post by Idle
Did you know that rape has a higher conviction rate than that of violent crimes and manslaughter at trial? Link: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/law-and-order/7257525/Rape-court-conviction-myth-questioned.html

It may have a higher conviction rate, but with only a third being reported as opposed to the majority of murders being found out about and people being convicted, there's a big difference in numbers of murderers going to jail and rapists going to jail, if you get what I mean?

Original post by Idle
Sadly like all crimes SOME who committed rape will slip through the net but the idea that the courts look down on rape victims is simply not true. It is one of the hardest crimes to prove, but without re-writing the justice system which could then potentially lead to innocent people being convicted there is no perfect solution.

No I totally agree with innocent until proven guilty, because then yes you're right we would have innocent men going to jail. But the point I was making is that it does mean guilty people do go free if there isn't the evidence to prove they committed the crime.
Original post by Adenosine
I think they're both pretty much equal. Although, i'll probably say rape because the victim would constantly be in mental pain. With murder I guess it's just quick and you're gone.

I personally believe all rapists should have their grapes crushed in a blender as their punishment. There should be a referendum on that. If the UK can restrict the rights of certain groups they should be able to restrict the rights of Rapists.

Thankyou, finally someone has their head screwed on straight.
Reply 83
This is hipster opinion to a whole new level when there's clearly no need for it. Furthermore why are people using rape stats and complaining about the criminal justice system, it absolutely doesn't back up a claim(ridiculous one nonetheless) that rape is worse than murder or is in any way relevant to the question in the thread i.e. which is worse out of the two... just shows how many people are raped and allows feminists/anti-feminists to spout their opinions about rape.
Id say murder definitely, I've been assaulted and even though I was drunk and couldn't remember much of whay happened, and how much I was assaulted (only left to piece an awkward puzzle from my injuries) but it completely changed my life, that's not exaggerating. I couldn't handle going out in my own town, and would break down so often, I couldnt trust my friends and lost a few because of it, the fear I remember ismy something id wish on anybody.. And even though rape would be a whole lot worse, I have become such a stronger person because of the experience, I had alot of counselling and depression/anxiety meds but I got through it and eventually you woule with rape, you cant do anything if you're dead
Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 85
Original post by The_Last_Melon
Wow I thought about this a few hours ago and this came up. We are truly becoming a hive-mind TSR.

I didn't really come to any conclusion but I considered it because of the fact that women are able to give life and men are renowned for taking it, to rape a woman may destroy her will to ever copulate, thus effectively preventing a life from ever existing. However, I am not sure whether this is a consequential disposition of rape victims, I would have to hear from the honest thoughts of a random sample of victims to truly know.

Take it this way, the woman would find it hard to trust someone again for a long time, but eventually she'd get around unless the experience hadn't been mentally scarring. It's like saying if a boxer was jumped in the street by a gang of hoodlums would they still do boxing? I think they still would in most cases...

That's how I view rape and a woman/man's willingness/unwillingness to have sex.

Original post by _anyawalsh
Id say murder definitely, I've been assaulted and even though I was drunk and couldn't remember much of whay happened, and how much I was assaulted (only left to piece an awkward puzzle from my injuries) but it completely changed my life, that's not exaggerating. I couldn't handle going out in my own town, and would break down so often, I couldnt trust my friends and lost a few because of it, the fear I remember ismy something id wish on anybody.. And even though rape would be a whole lot worse, I have become such a stronger person because of the experience, I had alot of counselling and depression/anxiety meds but I got through it and eventually you woule with rape, you cant do anything if you're dead
Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry for the experience, shouldn't have to go through that and hope the mother****er who did that burns in fire but thank you for applying common sense to this situation.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 86
Original post by When you see it...
Statistics don't take into account unreported cases.
The statistic you have provided is pretty meaningless because we don't know how many of those cases actually happened (i.e. some could be false accusations, which would hopefully mean the percentage of rapists that are convicted is higher than 63%, with some of the other 37% being false accusations).

I agree.

Yeah I know you can't take unreported cases into account but that's impossible really. I can only give what's available, we don't know how many cases do actually go unreported. I'd hope its not that many but as a wannabe lawyer I can see how people might find the criminal justice system traumatic and as a human realise that people are often unwilling to relive the trauma they've experienced and bring it all back up again for trial. I also think that some people are just too traumatised to seek help in these situations. I've thankfully never experienced rape or any other sexual offences and so don't know how I would deal with it at all.
Original post by jam277
Take it this way, the woman would find it hard to trust someone again for a long time, but eventually she'd get around unless the experience hadn't been mentally scarring. It's like saying if a boxer was jumped in the street by a gang of hoodlums would they still do boxing? I think they still would in most cases...

That's how I view rape and a woman/man's willingness/unwillingness to have sex.

Having been raped, I guess I can at least shed a little light on this - consensual sex was not affected whatsoever. Sex with people who cared about me, cared about my enjoyment of the act and were intimate and loving was almost like a relief and it drew my thoughts away from the memories of the rape. However flashbacks can still happen and for me, they were triggered by little things - hearing people tapping their fingers against a table, people's insensitive comments - rather than sex itself. I'm sure if I were involved in a non-consensual sexual act again, it would be triggering, but with somebody I love and trust sex isn't really affected much.
Original post by jam277

Sorry for the experience, shouldn't have to go through that and hope the mother****er who did that burns in fire but thank you for applying common sense to this situation.

Aha thanks, nah still try and scare me when I see them in town but think they're getting it through their thick heads I'm not scared anymore, thought id apply personal experience to the thread, perspective

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 89
Well this is strictly a matter of opinion...

But id say murder is worse. Now Ive never been raped, nor have I met anyone who was, so I have obvious reasoning flaws BUT, I sincerely think its just a matter of time to get past a trauma of any sort. Of course you may require the "right" kind of support, which not many victims have the luxury of.... So those people aren't factored in my opinion =p

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 90
Original post by kat_allen
No, I simply saying that often a case can get dismissed if a condom is used. I'm not saying only men can be rapists, however it is the most common.

Typical. Just because you got raped doesn't mean your in anyway special or an expert. Something a bit bad happened to you. That's life. You can't blame the male population for it and blame innocent people
Reply 91
Ultimately all crime is subjective, the severity presumably depends on how the individual perceived it. My intuition is that most rape victims would not prefer to be dead - as absolutely horrific as it is I do not believe that I would personally prefer to die than be raped.

Original post by Harrow.7
Typical. Just because you got raped doesn't mean your in anyway special or an expert. Something a bit bad happened to you. That's life. You can't blame the male population for it and blame innocent people

I haven't read the rest of your argument but I don't know how the hell you can have the audacity to describe being raped as 'something a bit bad happened to you'....
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Josh93
Ultimately all crime is subjective, the severity presumably depends on how the individual perceived it. My intuition is that most rape victims would not prefer to be dead - as absolutely horrific as it is I do not believe that I would personally prefer to die than be raped.

I haven't read the rest of your argument but I don't know how the hell you can have the audacity to describe being raped as 'something a bit bad happened to you'....

Ignore him, he's just trolling. And in regards to your first paragraph, obviously it is subjective - but considering how suicidal thoughts and PTSS are common in rape survivors, it's really no walk in the park (when I was raped, I can remember wishing I was just killed instead, it hurt so much - now I'm much better and happy to have come through it, but it really does feel like the end of the world)
Original post by Al-Mudaari
No it's not.

Murder is taking life, rape is simply forcing someone to do sexual acts. There's a big difference.

'Simply'

Seriously?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Harrow.7

I don't blame the male population at all, nor am I blaming innocent people?
I was simply stating a statistic, that the majority of rapists are indeed men. I don't blame the whole male population.
And a 'bit bad' that's a joke, right? Losing your purse is a 'bit bad,' falling over is a 'bit bad,' failing an exam is a 'bit bad' but getting raped is more than a bit bad. Its terrible. It's beyond awful, it changes your life not in a good way.
I never said it makes me special or an expert, but it does mean my opinion has some experience behind it.

Original post by Josh93

Thankyou for this
Reply 95
Murder worse, At least with rape you can still live and be with your loved ones. Rape is a atrocious act as well and people committing it should get their balls cut off. But at least you can live your life, still be in the company of your loved ones, accomplish your dreams etc. Its a really individual question though, some may take a couple of weeks to recover from a trauma for others it could take a lifetime, so it really depends.
There may be some scenarios where rape is worse than murder but mostly, I would rate murder as being worse. A maimed existence is better than no existence but I can see why people would think the opposite (suicide). Murder is the ultimate violation/intervention whereas rape is a partial violation/intervention. A murdered person has no chance to regain their life whilst a raped person does.
Reply 97
Original post by kat_allen
I don't blame the male population at all, nor am I blaming innocent people?
I was simply stating a statistic, that the majority of rapists are indeed men. I don't blame the whole male population.
And a 'bit bad' that's a joke, right? Losing your purse is a 'bit bad,' falling over is a 'bit bad,' failing an exam is a 'bit bad' but getting raped is more than a bit bad. Its terrible. It's beyond awful, it changes your life not in a good way.
I never said it makes me special or an expert, but it does mean my opinion has some experience behind it.

Thankyou for this

Not at all, please don't think that his views are even remotely representative....I think it's courageous of you to be willing to even talk about something like that to a load of complete strangers and you deserve more respect than 'it's a bit bad'.
(edited 10 years ago)
Murder has to be worse in most cases: at least with rape there is a chance that you could "get better", but with murder, you can't really recover from that, and you can't chose/try to live and improve. But then you can't really define "worse", so I don't know.
Reply 99
Rape...:shudder: I'd rather die...
(edited 10 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending