The Student Room Group

Is rape worse than murder? - **Potential Trigger**

I tend to think its 50/50 rather than rape being a lot less worse than murder.

Mainly because if I was a girl and someone said to me I'll be murdered or raped and I had to chose, I'd chose murder because I could never bare the trauma. Thing is with that though is that unlike death, family members don't experience the backlash of the suffering as much as they would if I was dead.

P.S Rapists are getting away with it and I'd rather see more attention on them than petty crimes that police waste their time with.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
For who, the raped or the murdered?
Reply 2
i would say rape is worse in my opinion. With murder, you're dead and you don't need to go everyday knowing you've had something horrible happen. With rape, you live with the trauma and so does your family + friends as so you would with death.
However, with rape there is the possibility of pregnancy and going through abortion or bringing a child into the world which would remind you everyday of what happened (however to some women, they find the child to be a reason to carry on). It's really difficult to say which is worse, but either way rapists and murderers are sickening and they should both be given life in prison depending on the situation.
I agree, rapists should gain more attention as they're getting away fast without any guilt.
Original post by JohnPaul_

Mainly because if I was a girl and someone said to me I'll be murdered or raped and I had to chose, I'd chose murder because I could never bare the trauma.

Why are you imagining yourself as a girl to conduct the thought experiment? Men can be raped and can as well be murdered.
Reply 4
And sorry but how are rapists getting away with it? Find me a statistic and I may be inclined to believe you. Rape convictions by percentage are at an all time high of 63% as of April 2013! The law makes rape fairly difficult to prove and rightly so given the severity of the offence.

Rape is definitely not worse than murder, there is no way to recover from murder. The trauma, which rape causes, however strong can be recovered from and victims come out of the other side. The very nature of murder means that is impossible.
I'd say rape, its very very hard to recover from and you are never left feeling the same about the way you view people and it gives you nightmares etc, it's horrid. Whereas if your dead you don't have to live with that suffering every day.

Also depends where your raped, if your culture/religion is like, oh she got raped, so one will marry her or her husband disowns her (Sickening I know - I don't agree with it - i'm just stating what happens) etc, then they would argue its worse.

But once your dead it's impossible to recover so i'd have to say rape.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6
I completely disagree and say murder is far worse than rape. I would much rather be raped than chopped up into pieces and fed to a dog.

Many people who are raped live perfectly good lives after their terrible experience.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
It depends entirely on the nature of both. In one circumstance, the rape could be worse than a painless death; in another, the murder could be worse than a non-violent rape.

In general, I would say that the average rape would be preferable to the average murder, but that's my opinion. To answer this question more concretely, you might consider whether rape victims would rather to have been murdered - my intuition is that the majority would not.
Reply 8
In general I think it's crazy to suggest rape is as bad as murder, but it can depend on the nature of the rape/murder and the mentality of the victim. So whilst I can imagine some cases where a rape victim would rather have been murdered, I don't think for a second the law should take this view.
Reply 9
Nah i think i would rather be raped that murdered.
Reply 10
Yes it's difficult to recover from the trauma of rape, but with murder, there is no recovery.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
No it's not.

Murder is taking life, rape is simply forcing someone to do sexual acts. There's a big difference.
Reply 12
Technically both are different but I guess rape causes more damages though the damages of a murder are also very huge.

Posted from TSR Mobile
depends on the nature of rape versus the nature of the murder.
is it weird i would consider that for a person to rape...a violent rape they would have to be a more callous and cruel person, than a murderer and therefore should face a more serious punishment because they seem a greater risk to society, and are less likely to rehabilitate back in to society as a normal person? :/ whereas i would consider murder worse, because at least with rape, no matter how traumatic a person there is still a chance of recovery to live a normal life.
Reply 14
Do we really need to discuss which is the worse crime? They're very different, and both abhorrent.
Murder is worse than rape imo. But realistically I'd like to live in a society where both do not happen.
Reply 16
Consider people with ****ty lives, there's probably a lot of them out there, but the fraction committing suicide is surely low. Hence murder is far worse.
Reply 17
I'd rather be raped than murdered.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
In terms of mental damage, rape does more to an individual, murder does more to an individual's relatives/friends

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
I'd be inclined to say murder is far worse, after being raped you're still alive and you can recover eventually, people have done it. After being murdered, your just dead

Latest

Trending

Trending