The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Thanx, btw for the inverse proportion question, if you put the answer in decimal, it would be fine right?
Mr M, this is from paper 1, for the probability question, coins in a bag, if I said there were 3 ways to get £2.50, would I get any marks? And thanks in advance for putting my mind at ease over the summer!
Reply 382
For q7 could you put 28%???
Could anyone tell me there expected grade boundary predictions for an A*? (please)
Reply 384
For question 7, i put 2.8 over 10. Which works out the same but the working out is probably different, would that be right please?
Original post by Katyd
For question 7, i put 2.8 over 10. Which works out the same but the working out is probably different, would that be right please?

In one of the earlier posts, Mr M said it would be okay, even though he does not like to mix decimals with fractions.
Reply 386
Please could someone tell me if 28% for q7 is ok and if you could put the answer to the inverse proportion as a decimal?
Reply 387
Hello, I've only just discovered your site being an older student! Could anyone please show me a link to the answers to maths paper 1 that was on the 11 June 2013? Thank you. :smile:
Original post by McGully
Hello, I've only just discovered your site being an older student! Could anyone please show me a link to the answers to maths paper 1 that was on the 11 June 2013? Thank you. :smile:

here u go: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2378190
Reply 389
Hi thanks for this. For the compound interest question i did not calculate the difference she could earn from one bank over the other i just calculated the totals and used > to show that one is larger. Will i still get full marks? Also is 2dp enough for the bounds of pi question?
mr m, or anyone else what do you think grade boundaries will be and considering paper 1 and 2 together i feel it was alot harder than march, so does this mean there should be lower boundaries. i think on paper 1 i got 65, and this paper around 75 will this be enough for an A
What did everyone think of this paper? I thought it was very easy. At one point I had to double check I hadnt accidently been given foundation. I hope it doesn't reflect to much on the grade boundaries though.
Reply 392
Hi, on the proportionality question if I wrote it in decimal form without rounding -
1.328125 - how many marks would I get?

Also, on the money sharing question, I put 2.8/10, would I lose marks?
Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Iamb97
Hi, on the proportionality question if I wrote it in decimal form without rounding -
1.328125 - how many marks would I get?
Posted from TSR Mobile

I dont remember it saying to round it so I dont see why you wouldn't get full marks
My minimum score will be 160/200 but could reach 170/200 depending on mark for working out. Will the first score be enough for an A*?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mr M
Mr M's Edexcel GCSE Linear 1MA0 Higher Tier Paper 2 Answers June 2013

1. Surface area

40.5 (3 marks)

2. Mince pies

Elaine doesn’t have enough mincemeat (4 marks)

3. Scatter graph

a) Plot points (1 mark)

b) As the age increases, the value of the car decreases OR negative correlation (1 mark)

c) £6200 (or an answer near this) (2 marks)

4. Probability game

126 (3 marks)

5. Questionnaire

a) Any two of overlapping boxes, no time period, no box for more than 12 (2 marks)

b) Question with time period , no overlapping boxes and a full range of choices (2 marks)

c) His friends are all of a similar age and will not give him a representative sample of the population (1 mark)

6. Yoghurt machine

4.8 seconds (4 marks)

7. Sharing money

725\frac{7}{25} (4 marks)

8. Playground tarmac

£10752 (4 marks)

9. Angles

Angle RQD is 35 degrees (corresponding angles are equal)

Angle x is 55 degrees (angles on a straight line add up to 180 degrees) (4 marks)

10. Trial and improvement

4.7 (4 marks)

11. Pythagoras’ Theorem

3.52 (3 marks)

12. Solving equations

a) x = 6.5 (3 marks)

b) y = -3 (2 marks)

13. Midpoint and gradient

a) (3, 3.5) (2 marks)

b) -1.8 (2 marks)

14. Banks

Viv should invest with Friendly Bank as she will earn an extra £9.70 (4 marks)

15. Quadratic graph

a) Missing values: 8, -1, 0, 8 (2 marks)

b) Graph of parabola (2 marks)

c) x = -1 or x = 3 (2 marks)

16. Angles in a circle

Angle OTP = 90 degrees (radius and tangent are perpendicular)

Angle OTS = angle OST (isosceles triangle)

x = 29 degrees (angles in a triangle add up to 180 degrees) (5 marks)

17. Box plots

a) Correct box plot (2 marks)

b) The boys’ median is greater than the girls’ median (£32 compared to £25)

The boys’ interquartile range is smaller than the girls’ interquartile range (£22 compared to £26) (2 marks)

18. Changing the subject of a formula

p=±y+43p=\pm \sqrt{\frac{y+4}{3}} (don’t worry if you didn’t include the plus or minus sign) (3 marks)

19. Factorising

a) 3(2+3x)3(2+3x) (1 mark)

b) (y+4)(y4)(y+4)(y-4) (1 mark)

c) (2p5)(p+2)(2p-5)(p+2) (2 marks)

20. Ladder

The angle is 68 degrees so it needs to be a bit larger before the ladder is safe (3 marks)

21. Stratified sample

49 (2 marks)

22. Inverse proportion

8564\frac{85}{64} (3 marks)

23. Upper and lower bounds

3.186915888 and 3.110091743 (rounded answers are acceptable so long as they show several decimal places) (4 marks)

24. Scalene triangle

a) 18.2 (2 marks)

b) 6.56 (3 marks)

25. Simultaneous equations

x = 2.87 and y = -0.87

x = -0.87 and y = 2.87 (6 marks)

Mr M, thanks for posting these. Just a couple of questions on my daughter' s behalf.

If in Q 23, she put down the many decimal points that you show in the working out but only 2-3 decimal points in the actual answer, would she lose marks?

And, in Q 22, in inverse proportion, she remembers putting down the answer as a decimal. Would this be wrong? Would you be able to tell what the question was so that she could check the question?

Thanks!
Reply 396
Great, I was just a but worried.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 397
Thank you for the link Blueynuey.
hello. I did this paper yesterday just a couple of things. for question 6 i got 5 seconds as the final answer but its written 4.8 will i still get full marks?. Also for question 8 i got 9800 or 9200 along those lines will that be correct as well?
Mr M, what do you think the grade boundaries will be ??

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending