The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

rayven1lk
hey people,

lets say ur now talkin to this girl at a party, you have introduced urself and all dat stuff already and now ur just having a normal conversation. question is, what can you do if you two suddenly can't think of anything to say and there is this uncomfortable silence between the two of you?

Ask her questions about herself...people love talking about themselves!
Reply 2
You aren't typing this during that awkward silence are you?
Reply 3
Note

:toofunny:
Reply 4
Note

hehe, come on guys, how about an answer to the question
Reply 5
Lol alright. Sorry :p:. I agree with hallucination - asking them questions about themselves - ANYTHING, is a good way to start a new path of conversation. Holidays, school, hobbies. You get the idea.

Alternatively - and this is great for building your own character - start an interesting story. "Hey. There was this one time I...." Then a question to them linked somehow.

Talking about mutual friends, the party, what they are going to do in future etc. etc. etc.

Keep on your toes and try to think one step ahead of where you are in the conversation if you are worried about awkward silences cropping up.

Best of luck and happy hunting.:biggrin:
Reply 6
hehe thanks, hope i catch sumthing nice :biggrin:
Reply 7
rayven1lk
hehe thanks, hope i catch sumthing nice :biggrin:

Ok - if I took that how it was intended, say that to a girl and I don't think there'll be any awkward silences.
Maybe a slap.
rayven1lk
hey people,

lets say ur now talkin to this girl at a party, you have introduced urself and all dat stuff already and now ur just having a normal conversation. question is, what can you do if you two suddenly can't think of anything to say and there is this uncomfortable silence between the two of you?

Asking them a question, about their interests is always a very good start!! :smile:
Reply 9
Simulatio
Ok - if I took that how it was intended, say that to a girl and I don't think there'll be any awkward silences.
Maybe a slap.

that wasn't supposed to be part of the conversation, lol :p:
No, I didn't think it was meant to be. Instead, I just thought it was derogatory and childish.
Reply 11
hey simulatio, it was just a joke man.

heres what note told me
Best of luck and happy hunting.
and I said
hehe thanks, hope i catch sumthing nice
, so calm down, just a joke. Didn't mean to degrade anyone here
See now this is exactly why I want to be able to do backflips off walls.
Reply 13
i always make a big deal out if it- like say- "oh, here comes the awkward silence"
that always makes the other person laugh and at least then u both will try 2 avoid it happenin agen. it also gives u time 2 think of sumink 2 say.
p.s. i am a girl tho so not quite the same situation applies!
sometimes you can have silences that aren't awkward.

or if it is a really awful silence you could always go and get another drink and ask her to come with you. then you set yourself up for numerous interesting conversations, like kitchen decor, drinks, what glass to have... the possibilities are endless :yy:
big brother/the world cup/any other rubbish thats on tv at the mo?
Ah, sorry mate - I didn't see that post before-hand =)

Sorry - I overreacted then, I was wondering why you were talking about catching something!

Sorrrryyyyy :blush:
Reply 17
Honk like a duck and scare her away.

Or, as my friend always says, tell him / her " You better think of something good to say fast, or else I'm calling you a taxi". People don't like that though and it doesn't get you a date.
Note

Alternatively - and this is great for building your own character - start an interesting story. "Hey. There was this one time I...." Then a question to them linked somehow.
"hey, this one time, at band camp, i stuck a flute up my *****. Do you play the flute?"

hmmm... :eek:
Reply 19
If you find you are both looking at the floor then you could throw up a conversation there:

"Ah, I see you are admiring the 1940s Neo-Greco carpet. It reflects the ultramontane interpretation of a traditional concept uplifted and implanted in a contemporary setting. Not a lot of people know that the latest carpet colours are a reflection of society's attempt to temper the social mobility of feminism with a return to masculine roots. Peradventure you were wondering about the shag element? The clever design allows air, the best insulator, to be trapped just above floor level and therefore it reduces the heat loss from a room making sure that the inhabitants of the party do not physically get cold and thus subconsciously become chilly. The material used is of a synthetic nature as this is both cheaper to manufacture and can be considered more environmentally forward-thinking in today's society; rather than having to rely on furs from animals. The carpet colour (cerise) reflects a subconscious desire by the homeowners to appear warm to the guests but not overbearing or of a depressive nature. Other colours often have a cliché nature about them however, insofar as they are thrown everywhere in modern decor but the homeowner has struck the right balance between expression of a desire to succeed with an outward show of temperance and liberal, democratic thinking."

I could go on for hours but one hopes you have got the basic idea :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending