The Student Room Group

Law Conversion Course

Hi there,

For those who have completed a non-law undergraduate degree (preferably psychology) and have completed the law conversion course, I have some questions for you.

- How much did you enjoy the law conversion course?
- Would you recommend the course? Any particular universities?
- How different is law compared to your other degree?
- For those who did psychology at undergraduate level, how different was law in terms of the content, workload, writing style, etc?
- Was there anything you did outside of your studies that helped you get onto to course / provide you with experience?
- Was there anything you wish you had done / done differently before starting the conversion course?
- Did you use SFE to fund the course, paid yourself or secured a contract with a law firm to pay your funds for you?
- What were the people / lecturers like?
- What experience did you gain prior to starting the conversion course that made you decide that law was right for you?
Original post by star_symbol
Hi there,

For those who have completed a non-law undergraduate degree (preferably psychology) and have completed the law conversion course, I have some questions for you.

- How much did you enjoy the law conversion course?
- Would you recommend the course? Any particular universities?
- How different is law compared to your other degree?
- For those who did psychology at undergraduate level, how different was law in terms of the content, workload, writing style, etc?
- Was there anything you did outside of your studies that helped you get onto to course / provide you with experience?
- Was there anything you wish you had done / done differently before starting the conversion course?
- Did you use SFE to fund the course, paid yourself or secured a contract with a law firm to pay your funds for you?
- What were the people / lecturers like?
- What experience did you gain prior to starting the conversion course that made you decide that law was right for you?

Hi @star_symbol

I completed my MA Law (conversion) with the University of Law in May and am currently on the BPC. I really enjoyed the law conversion and found it very interesting, consolidating my desire to train to become a barrister and, further, making some valuable friends along the way.
I would 100% recommend the course if you are interested in becoming a lawyer. I know some people that did the course and then decided they didn't want to continue on the route to qualifying but still really enjoyed the course that they did. Therefore, even if slightly unsure I think it is worth giving it a go!
I did an English Lit undergrad degree and it was very different. For my undergrad, I had more large lectures and also fewer assignments and exams throughout the year. With the law conversion, you teach yourself a lot of the material and then put it into practice in small group sessions where you work through legal problems with the helps of a tutor. Once you have studied an aspect, you tend to build upon it but also rarely return to focus on the premise again so you need to make sure you don't fall behind as it can be a bit tricky to catch up!
I don't think there was much I did outside of my degree to help get on the course. I know that they value good grades and that you show an interest in law and becoming a lawyer. However, the way in which you do this can be really varied and the people in my class had a real range of backgrounds.
I did the MA Law (conversion) so that I could access SFE funding for the course which was really helpful and also meant that I got a Master's qualification rather than just a diploma (although this won't really alter job prospects much when trying to secure future positions in the legal world).
The people I met were all great and the lecturers were both really friendly and very helpful. Also, all of them have either worked as solicitors/ barristers or still do part-time which means they have a wealth of knowledge and experience and can help you work out how best to plan your future and build your CV.
I wasn't sure whether to do law although I had always been interested. I applied to a chambers to do a mini pupillage in my final year of uni and absolutely loved it. After that, my mind was made up so I applied to ULaw and BPP and managed to get offers for both. Having chosen ULaw, I would 100% recommend the same but I am sure wherever you do your conversion will be great!

I hope this helps and good luck! 🙂

Sophie

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending