The Student Room Group

History Applicants 2014 entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SoggyTractor
Guys, is anyone else aware of Queen Mary London? They're a Russel Group uni yet they only require ABB. For history, anyway. That's amazing, isn't it?

I went there on an open day as a history applicant... I hated the campus (set around a grave yard) and only a small number of students actually stay on campus so it felt quite small and empty. Its location in the east end is not great and it's a lengthy tube journey to the centre of London. Plus they have a shopping list approach to history which is not great according to a UCL history professor (although biased I'm sure). I hope I don't come across too badly, it's just that I felt there were distinct reasons for its low entry requirements relative to other courses. I would highly recommend visiting the campus before committing via application as it really doesn't suit everyone. Something to think about...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by arminb
actually someone has told me it is not that bad of a uni, but I'd prefer Royal Holloway or SOAS to it. I've heard Royal Holloway has got a very interesting course, but it is not a part of Russell Group.

A friend went to SOAS for a history open day and was rather perturbed by the experience. She felt that the tutors were distracted and disinterested while they've also taken a hit on the league tables recently. I personally thought Royal Holloway had a great course :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mlkeddie
Different point entirely; but since Edinburgh offers Scandinavian Studies, I think that will probably make me more inclined to go there as I'd really like to learn Swedish

:awesome::awesome::awesome: Good choice.

You can do Scandinavian Studies and History at UCL too, but the history will be based at SSEES rather than general history at Edinburgh. SSEES history is pretty much Russian and Central/Eastern European history but I think you can take the odd module from other University of London history departments. The modules do look pretty good though.
Original post by colourtheory
I went there on an open day as a history applicant... I hated the campus (set around a grave yard) and only a small number of students actually stay on campus so it felt quite small and empty. Its location in the east end is not great and it's a lengthy tube journey to the centre of London. Plus they have a shopping list approach to history which is not great according to a UCL history professor (although biased I'm sure). I hope I don't come across too badly, it's just that I felt there were distinct reasons for its low entry requirements relative to other courses. I would highly recommend visiting the campus before committing via application as it really doesn't suit everyone. Something to think about...<br />
<br />
<br />
<font size="1"><a href="http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/app" target="_blank">Posted from TSR Mobile</a></font>
<br />
<br />

I don't know whether you mean graveyard literally or figuratively but that still wouldn't bother me. And I thought they were quite a big uni, so what do you mean by small and empty? It says on the website they have great student satisfaction and they can't just lie about the stats.
<br />
<br />

I don't know whether you mean graveyard literally or figuratively but that still wouldn't bother me. And I thought they were quite a big uni, so what do you mean by small and empty? It says on the website they have great student satisfaction and they can't just lie about the stats.

Literally a graveyard, just outside of the history department... It kind of freaked me out, although it's apparently the oldest in london so that's certainly interesting. I'm not sure if you've been there but they are certainly one of the smaller campus unis around (although UCL is also quite small), compared with the other bigger ones and definitely the multi campus unis like King's. It's just preference really :rolleyes:

They do have good student satisfaction but so do other top unis like Royal Holloway, so something to think about. Just make sure you have made an informed decision without convincing yourself of the need to apply, I almost did the same thing and I'm glad that I had a few opinions before making my final choice (which changed from RH to Edinburgh). Best of luck! :smile:
Reply 185
Original post by jelly1000
Not every uni offers every course. Mine doesn't offer History & language Joint Honours degrees

Well I knew that already. But I was wondering more why I cant do general history with spanish rather than do a specific period with Spanish.
I sent my application to Cambridge, Warwick, Exeter, York and Nottingham. Nottingham gave me an offer on Friday :smile:
Reply 187
Original post by Samual
:awesome::awesome::awesome: Good choice.

You can do Scandinavian Studies and History at UCL too, but the history will be based at SSEES rather than general history at Edinburgh. SSEES history is pretty much Russian and Central/Eastern European history but I think you can take the odd module from other University of London history departments. The modules do look pretty good though.

They do! But I still wouldn't be able to do SSEES History with Spanish, and I don't think I should bother applying to do Swedish + History at UCL considering the fact my personal statement is about Spanish + History and they'll probably wonder why I've even bothered applying there. :s-smilie: Where are you applying?
They do! But I still wouldn't be able to do SSEES History with Spanish, and I don't think I should bother applying to do Swedish + History at UCL considering the fact my personal statement is about Spanish + History and they'll probably wonder why I've even bothered applying there. :s-smilie: Where are you applying?

Ah I see, well you could always just apply for history at SSEES and if you get an offer/decide you want t go there ask if you could switch to Swedish and History? I doubt they'd say no.

I'm applying for Scandinavian Studies and History at UCL, Scandinavian Studies at UCL and Edinburgh... and probbaly History at St Andrews and European Studies at Aberdeen.
Reply 189
It's mildly worrying how many people here care about whether a Uni is in the Russell Group or not. All that membership signifies is increased research funding. It isn't some kind of exclusive club for the best unis. Granted, if it's in the Russell Group it's going to be good, but the same goes for the 1994 group (unis like Lancaster or RHUL), or unis like St. Andrews which aren't affiliated with either. Basing your decision at all on RG membership is a bad plan. Just base it on the Uni's reputation, how much you liked the course, whether you think you'd like to live there and how impressed you were with the course/department generally.
Original post by Tufto
It's mildly worrying how many people here care about whether a Uni is in the Russell Group or not. All that membership signifies is increased research funding. It isn't some kind of exclusive club for the best unis. Granted, if it's in the Russell Group it's going to be good, but the same goes for the 1994 group (unis like Lancaster or RHUL), or unis like St. Andrews which aren't affiliated with either. Basing your decision at all on RG membership is a bad plan. Just base it on the Uni's reputation, how much you liked the course, whether you think you'd like to live there and how impressed you were with the course/department generally.

I don't think anyone here is stupid enough to base their choice entirely on that...but the fact is, universities have greater prestige if they're in the Russel Group. After saying *why do you care* you just admitted yourself that they have increased research funding and they're obviously going to be good. I've read somewhere that it was partly created to signify to students the top unis that they can aim for, since it wasn't as clear before.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by CooperTrooper
I sent my application to Cambridge, Warwick, Exeter, York and Nottingham. Nottingham gave me an offer on Friday :smile:

Congrats! Nottingham's great. Did you get to see your teacher's reference? I heard that under the Data Protection Act or something, students were allowed to ask for it once they get sent out. Oh, and, do you know if universities will respond this fast to all the non-Oxbridge applicants? I hope they do.
Reply 192
I don't think anyone here is stupid enough to base their choice entirely on that...but the fact is, universities have greater prestige if they're in the Russel Group. After saying *why do you care* you just admitted yourself that they have increased research funding and they're obviously going to be good. I've read somewhere that it was partly created to signify to students the top unis that they can aim for, since it wasn't as clear before.

They don't necessarily have greater prestige if they're in the Russell Group. This is a myth which people continue to propagate, and I honestly don't know why. And research funding doesn't mean at all that the teaching quality is going to be good.

The only thing that being in the Russell Group originally signified was being a previously-established larger university trying to protect their research interests in the face of the wave of polytechnics given university status after 1992. The smaller ones made the 1994 group to protect their interests, and there were others that remained outside such a system.

The Russell Group was not created to signify to students what the top unis were to aim for; or if it was, that was a distinction made by those universities. I think that any group dedicated to signifying the "top unis" without universities like Warwick, York, Exeter, St. Andrews and Durham (four of which admittedly joined much, much later) wasn't doing its job properly.

Having said that, being in the Russell Group does mean it's going to be a good university. I was just mildly worried by a few comments here where people said that they weren't sure about a university because it wasn't in the Russell Group, that's all.
Reply 193
Original post by Samual
Ah I see, well you could always just apply for history at SSEES and if you get an offer/decide you want t go there ask if you could switch to Swedish and History? I doubt they'd say no.

I'm applying for Scandinavian Studies and History at UCL, Scandinavian Studies at UCL and Edinburgh... and probbaly History at St Andrews and European Studies at Aberdeen.

That's a good point, I hadn't really thought about that :tongue:

I think you can do Scandinavian Studies at Aberdeen, I took a look at the course content while I was supposed to be looking at the Spanish course content :colondollar: So are you applying to UCL twice? Because you can do History + Scandinavian Studies at Edinburgh too. (Unless you just listed UCL twice by accident, in which case just ignore my confusion)
Congrats! Nottingham's great. Did you get to see your teacher's reference? I heard that under the Data Protection Act or something, students were allowed to ask for it once they get sent out. Oh, and, do you know if universities will respond this fast to all the non-Oxbridge applicants? I hope they do.

Nice name, and thank you! :biggrin: I did get to see it. My school let me see it, but not take it away. You can ask UCAS for it but I think you have to pay a tenner for administrative fees or something. And they don't see that you're Oxbridge or any of the unis you apply to, so if you apply around now you'll be getting offers at the same time I'm sure :smile: I think some of the very competitive universities like Warwick etc., and some less competitive, will wait a bit longer before giving offers.
That's a good point, I hadn't really thought about that :tongue:

I think you can do Scandinavian Studies at Aberdeen, I took a look at the course content while I was supposed to be looking at the Spanish course content :colondollar: So are you applying to UCL twice? Because you can do History + Scandinavian Studies at Edinburgh too. (Unless you just listed UCL twice by accident, in which case just ignore my confusion)

Yeah I am applying to two UCL courses. I don't think I will apply for Scandinavian Studies and History at Edinburgh, I had a look at the history modules and I thought they sounded quite boring. Unfortunately Aberdeen has stopped offering their Scandinavian Studies degree, I spoke to someone in the department and they said they still offer various Scandinavian/Swedish modules but not a named degree. Aberdeen have just started a brand new degree in Celtic and Anglo-Saxon Studies which involves quite a lot of Scandie history/language.
Original post by Tufto
They don't necessarily have greater prestige if they're in the Russell Group. This is a myth which people continue to propagate, and I honestly don't know why. And research funding doesn't mean at all that the teaching quality is going to be good.

The only thing that being in the Russell Group originally signified was being a previously-established larger university trying to protect their research interests in the face of the wave of polytechnics given university status after 1992. The smaller ones made the 1994 group to protect their interests, and there were others that remained outside such a system.

The Russell Group was not created to signify to students what the top unis were to aim for; or if it was, that was a distinction made by those universities. I think that any group dedicated to signifying the "top unis" without universities like Warwick, York, Exeter, St. Andrews and Durham (four of which admittedly joined much, much later) wasn't doing its job properly.

Having said that, being in the Russell Group does mean it's going to be a good university. I was just mildly worried by a few comments here where people said that they weren't sure about a university because it wasn't in the Russell Group, that's all.

Hm. All seems a bit contradictory, but whatever.
Reply 197
Writing a personal statement is hard. Please Lord may universities accept me :frown:
First offer today for Newcastle :biggrin:
Original post by CooperTrooper

Congrats, when was it you applied, I applied to Nottingham too?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending