The Student Room Group

Cambridge application for history and politics 2023 (undergrad)

Hi, I have a question about if its a good idea to apply to these unis for history and politics with my grade and subject profile.

Politics: A*
Economics: A*
History: A
English Lit: A

GCSE grades: 9,9,9,9,9,9,9,9,9,8

for Cambridge, Warwick, Durham, King's College and either LSE or Queen Mary's

Annoyingly, I have an A in History which I was thinking could affect the competitiveness of my application. Also, apparently in the past year there has been a sharp decrease in the acceptance rate at Cambridge and other Russell group universities for History and Politics from 19% to 14.6%.

Do I have a chance of getting in with those PG and subject combination?
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by do de die egg
Hi, I have a question about if its a good idea to apply to these unis for history and politics with my grade and subject profile.

Politics: A*
Economics: A*
History: A
English Lit: A

GCSE grades: 9,9,9,9,9,9,9,9,9,8

for Cambridge, Warwick, Durham, King's College and either LSE or Queen Mary's

Annoyingly, I have an A in History which I was thinking could affect the competitiveness of my application. Also, apparently in the past year there has been a sharp decrease in the acceptance rate at Cambridge and other Russell group universities for History and Politics from 19% to 14.6%.

Do I have a chance of getting in with those PG and subject combination?

Hi there :smile:

You meet the typical entry requirements for the History and Politics course at Cambridge. You should have a look at the Subject Requirements by College document as some Colleges require an A* in History. You can use this to help you make a decision when it comes to choosing a College.

Good luck with your application!
Original post by Pembroke Rep
Hi there :smile:

You meet the typical entry requirements for the History and Politics course at Cambridge. You should have a look at the Subject Requirements by College document as some Colleges require an A* in History. You can use this to help you make a decision when it comes to choosing a College.

Good luck with your application!

Thank you! So I'm guessing I should look at a specific college rather than open application. Do you think I could for example make a competitive application to Pembroke college?
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by do de die egg
Thank you! So I'm guessing I should look at a specific college rather than open application. Do you think I could for example make a competitive application to Pembroke college?

Yes, we generally recommend you make a direct application to a College if you have any preference at all, or if your qualifications may not quite meet some College specific ones. At Pembroke for History and Politics we like to see an A* in either History or Politics, so as you have that A* predicted in Politics you would meet what we are typically looking for on the predicted grades side of things.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending