The Student Room Group

University - Working in the Holidays?

Hi!

I'll be attending university in September and will be getting a part time job (my job at the moment doesn't do transfers :frown:) and was wondering what happens in the holidays?

I don't think the accommodation I've applied for lets people stay during the holidays so what do you do?

Does the work let you have the couple of weeks off? Do many transfer you?

Thanks for clearing up my confusion. :biggrin:
Original post by Abblecrumble
Hi!

I'll be attending university in September and will be getting a part time job (my job at the moment doesn't do transfers :frown:) and was wondering what happens in the holidays?

I don't think the accommodation I've applied for lets people stay during the holidays so what do you do?

Does the work let you have the couple of weeks off? Do many transfer you?

Thanks for clearing up my confusion. :biggrin:

It depends where you work. Some places (mainly chain stores etc) do transfers. Some places allow you to just work there in term time (or in holidays). You would have to ask them.
If you try and get a job in a big well known chain when you are at uni (supermarket, shop, fast food place etc) then you more than likely will be able to just work there while at uni or transfer to a store nearer home in the holidays.
Mcdonalds are good at doing this. I work there and know quite a few people there who just work there in the holidays when at home or transfer to another store near uni.
Reply 2
Original post by Emma:-)
It depends where you work. Some places (mainly chain stores etc) do transfers. Some places allow you to just work there in term time (or in holidays). You would have to ask them.
If you try and get a job in a big well known chain when you are at uni (supermarket, shop, fast food place etc) then you more than likely will be able to just work there while at uni or transfer to a store nearer home in the holidays.
Mcdonalds are good at doing this. I work there and know quite a few people there who just work there in the holidays when at home or transfer to another store near uni.

Thanks! :smile: I'm definitely going to try and get work in a supermarket or big store. I'm applying for new jobs right now. :wink:
I agree try and get a supermarket job now.

I was very naive when i started Uni and gave up quite a decent Saturday job because despite being well looked after I thought I would easily find something more to my liking when I moved away from home - I cannot believe I never even asked for a transfer - after all I thought, I have over 2 years retail experience with a major high street retailer. BIG MISTAKE, so I moved to one the highest unemployment towns in the country where the University has 28,000 students and then wondered why I couldn't get a job!

I started applying for jobs a couple of months before I started Uni and six months and forty jobs later I had only had 1 interview and that was at the Uni SU which I didn't get.

I eventually got a part time casual job a few miles from home working in the bar for a sports club, so come home when I get a shift. A shift pays £55 and the train costs me £19.60 but I get a visit home, save some of my food money that week and have £35 spends left from the shift for a night out either at home or the borough.

I am now home for the summer and have just got a temp 12 week job at Tesco, if they offer me permanent either at home or a transfer to Middlesbrough I will bite their hands off. Six months at Uni with NO money was NO FUN.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending