The Student Room Group

Workplaces are getting older while youth unemployment rises...

...according to the Guardian and National Statistics.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2013/jun/13/workplace-companies-older-employees

is this a positive or negative phenomena? I can definetly see the trend, especially in my workplace (not with just over 65s).

i can see the positives in that older workers are being appreciated and that with age arguably comes experience (meaning less training, which is a cost cutter on expensive training fr employers).

older workers aren't usually as physically fit as younger people though and I suspect older workers (the over 65s) are sometimes only doing it because they can't afford to retire. More older workers = less jobs for young people.

Also younger people I can argue bring new and fresh ideas and more energy. Older people from my experience are often stuck in their ways and are therefore more reluctant to change or innovate. Young people are more likely to look to the future.

Imo there's sometimes when the baton needs to be passed on.
(edited 10 years ago)
People always wrongly assume that if an old person retires a young person can step into their now vacant role... but how many older people are still working in the entry level jobs that young people would be looking at?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending