The Student Room Group

Can anyone recommend any good astronomy/astrophysics books?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Basically does everyone agree we hate circuits!!! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 21
Original post by Anon2.5
Basically does everyone agree we hate circuits!!! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

No I like circuits. I loved the electricity stuff and everything actually. Don't hate anything in physics, but mechanics is a bit of a pain - interesting though.
Reply 22
What's the hardest thing about physics a level?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 23
Original post by Anon2.5
What's the hardest thing about physics a level?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Mechanics is quite hard. Explaining the maths can be difficult. Other than that I'd say electric fields and things are quite complex. I loved light but it was difficult to get your head around at first - it's like the first lesson on light - and you get told 'Light is not always a wave' and you're like whaaaaaat?
Reply 24
Original post by boumavilla
I'm going to take Astrophysics at uni, so I know how your passion feels. :yep:

How big is your telescope's aperture? Mine is 6 inch. :sexface:

Subscribe to my youtube channel and watch my existing videos! :h: http://www.youtube.com/user/astrolekker
I plan to make many more during the summer. :woo:

Hey cool channel!
Original post by Anon2.5
Yeah same! I'm just about to start it in September, as I've just finished my GCSEs. When the teacher was telling us the course content I though oh wow I am going to find this so hard! But I need the subject if I want to go on and do astrophysics at university!

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're right up my street. :sexface:

I've just finished the first year of A-levels, it was a HARD year, and if you're like me, you won't like Maths A-level one bit. :sigh: I used to be epic at Maths but A-level means you actually have to work hard. Take my advice and START EARLY!!

Where are you thinking of going for university to study Astro? :sexface:
I'm looking at Cariff, Exeter, Bristol and Aberystwyth. :yep:
Reply 26
Would highly recommend A Universe From Nothing by Lawrence Krauss. Has my favourite quote about science ever in it:

"
Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded. And, the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics: You are all stardust. You couldn’t be here if stars hadn’t exploded, because the elements - the carbon, nitrogen, oxygen, iron, all the things that matter for evolution and for life - weren’t created at the beginning of time. They were created in the nuclear furnaces of stars, and the only way for them to get into your body is if those stars were kind enough to explode. So, forget Jesus. The stars died so that you could be here today."

If you want a nice starter guide to astrophysics (including the maths involved) outside of your A-level studies (I don't think they have that module?) try looking at IB resources for the astrophysics option (option E, and lots of resources are on the internet and free to use). I did the option and it's really very interesting. I think it's the most popular topic in IB Physics.

(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 27
Original post by eclectic_

"
Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded. And, the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics: You are all stardust. You couldn’t be here if stars hadn’t exploded, because the elements - the carbon, nitrogen, oxygen, iron, all the things that matter for evolution and for life - weren’t created at the beginning of time. They were created in the nuclear furnaces of stars, and the only way for them to get into your body is if those stars were kind enough to explode. So, forget Jesus. The stars died so that you could be here today."

Beautiful and i love thinking about things like that :smile:
Original post by danny111
Hey cool channel!

Thanks bro! :h:
Reply 29
My recommendation? At least read that entire list that you have already before getting more books :P
Reply 30
"A Brief History of Time" is quite good. Except the bit where he goes on about "imaginary time".
Reply 31
You're right up my street. :sexface:

I've just finished the first year of A-levels, it was a HARD year, and if you're like me, you won't like Maths A-level one bit. :sigh: I used to be epic at Maths but A-level means you actually have to work hard. Take my advice and START EARLY!!

Where are you thinking of going for university to study Astro? :sexface:
I'm looking at Cariff, Exeter, Bristol and Aberystwyth. :yep:

Oh great -.- Yeah I thought I was good at maths (a* fingers crossed)! But now I'm not so sure everyone says a level is so hard!! I was thinking Exeter or Manchester but not really sure yet :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 32
Original post by noobynoo
"A Brief History of Time" is quite good. Except the bit where he goes on about "imaginary time".

Ordered that one yesterday on amazon!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 33
Original post by Fat-Love
My recommendation? At least read that entire list that you have already before getting more books :P

I've almost finished wonders of the life and then that's all of them!
But I've recently ordered:
A breif history of time - Stephen hawking
The grand design - Stephen hawking
Cosmos - Carl sagen
So some summer reads!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 34
Original post by Anon2.5
I've almost finished wonders of the life and then that's all of them!
But I've recently ordered:
A breif history of time - Stephen hawking
The grand design - Stephen hawking
Cosmos - Carl sagen
So some summer reads!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I bought wonders of life ages ago and still only read one chapter.
Reply 35
Original post by Tilly Seargeant
I bought wonders of life ages ago and still only read one chapter.

It's not as good as wonders of the universe and wonders of the solar system in my opinion :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 36
Original post by Anon2.5
It's not as good as wonders of the universe and wonders of the solar system in my opinion :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I do think those are better. I have never read them all the way through, but I read sections now and again. It's much more interesting. The thing that let wonders of life down is there's too much unnecessary words - it goes on a bit.
Original post by Anon2.5
Oh great -.- Yeah I thought I was good at maths (a* fingers crossed)! But now I'm not so sure everyone says a level is so hard!! I was thinking Exeter or Manchester but not really sure yet :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not putting you off though hopefully. :mmm:
It is very much a marathon not a sprint. :sadnod:

Exeter is nice. :smile: Cardiff offers Astrophysics as a separate subject though instead of Physics with Astrophysics. Cardiff is very suited to this area of Physics, their research is very impressive too. :yep:
Reply 38
I'm not putting you off though hopefully. :mmm:
It is very much a marathon not a sprint. :sadnod:

Exeter is nice. :smile: Cardiff offers Astrophysics as a separate subject though instead of Physics with Astrophysics. Cardiff is very suited to this area of Physics, their research is very impressive too. :yep:

Nope I love it too much to be put off haha! Ooo that sounds nice then you don't have to do that difficult parts of physics. What careers are there in astrophysics? Because my plan was to become a professor so be a researcher and then a lecturer but I know that's not exactly a wide field!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Anon2.5
Nope I love it too much to be put off haha! Ooo that sounds nice then you don't have to do that difficult parts of physics. What careers are there in astrophysics? Because my plan was to become a professor so be a researcher and then a lecturer but I know that's not exactly a wide field!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hence taking Astrophysics by itself is of great benefit. :yep:

What you just mentioned is the main career path with good money. :yes:
You can go down other career paths such as Maths, computing or finance, but I'm pretty sure you're not so interested in that! :mmm:

When you reach a higher level in the field you undertake your own research, you can join higher societies such as NASA if the opportunity arises or you can even write your own books. :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending