The Student Room Group

The GCSE to AS German bridging summer class '13 *Last Edited 29th July*

Scroll to see replies

I didn't realise the reserved posts were being edited :facepalm2:

I've been waiting for something to happen in this thread :rofl:
Things that go like ein/eine/ein in nominative and accusative.

There are things that go like der/die/das and things that go like ein/eine/ein. This post, as promised o̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶b̶o̶x̶ in the title, will concern the ein/eine/ein sort.

According to my book, there are eight of them, but we’re just going to do six of them: kein, mein, dein, sein, ihr, Ihr. You can do the remaining two in your own time!1
It is important to note that these all have plural forms, because it makes sense for them to have plural forms!

Kein is used to communicate not any; not one. (If you, ever, ever, ever combine nicht and ein to communicate this, your poor A-level teacher may explode!)
It goes like this
Cases Masc Fem Neut Plural
Nom. kein keine kein keine
Acc. keinen keine kein keine

Quick revision point
Mein is used to say my, in the sense of belonging to me
Dein is used for your, in the sense of belonging to you, informal singular (it begins with a d, just like du)
Sein is used for his or its.

With reference to the lay-out of kein provided up above, and the years you have spent learning German, can you work out/remember how mein, dein and sein decline?

Spoiler

Not so hard, was it?

Next, ihr and Ihr. You may, at this point, be thinking, “how can those be said to go like ein?” Well, the key thing is that, like ein, they do not develop an additional –s in the neuter form, unlike the collection of words (for example, this= dieser/diese/dieses) that go like der/die/das.
Firstly, ihr, with a lower-case i means her, as in belonging to her.

Case Masc F Neut Plural
Nom=. ihr ihre ihr ihre
Acc=. ihren ihre ihr ihre

Now for Ihr with an upper-case I. This is your, as in belonging to you, formal. As in Sie! It goes just like its cousin (that means something different...)

Case Masc F Neut Plural
Nom=. Ihr Ihre Ihr Ihre
Acc=. Ihren Ihre Ihr Ihre

If you’re wondering, yes, ihr can mean a lot of different things, from hers (That’s her bicycle=das ist ihr Rad), formal yours (Is this your book, sir?=Herr, ist dies Ihr Buch?) and you (“Where are you going, Olly and Stefen?=Olly und Stefan, wo geht ihr?). There’s another one, which we’ll be covering soon, too! But in practice, it’s easy. Due to context and case-endings, it is rarely or never ambiguous outside of grammar exercises.

Original post by MangoFreak

Hey, i have a life outside the internet.
Anyway, there have been two updates now, and that's it for tonight. I have 700 words to write on other subjects.

1 If you wish to extend thyself, look up unser and euer.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Octopus_Garden
Anyway, there have been two updates now, and that's it for tonight. I have 700 words to write on other subjects.

I didn't mean it like that :tongue: I was mocking myself for being confused by the lack of activity, when I didn't realise that previous posts were reserved to be edited later :lol:
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Heeeeey, I'm guessing you don't want me here but :ahee:

Someone's gate crashing :wink:

Is this how your post count is post 32000...? :tongue:
Original post by constantmeowage

Yeah :colone: I post everywhere :mmm:

Also, so far I know how to do this stuff :teeth:

Original post by L'Evil Fish
Yeah :colone: I post everywhere :mmm:

Also, so far I know how to do this stuff :teeth:

Euch, der schnellen Vionar, die andere Leute der TSR, und natuerlich der sehr intelligenten Constantmeowage, koennen alle viel besser Deutsch als ich... !!

Also was sieht euch besser/korrekter an...

1) "Am dreiundzwanzigsten Oktober um sechzehn Uhr fuenfundvierzig gehe ich kegeln."
2) "Ich gehe kegeln am dreiundzwanzigsten Oktober um sechzehn Uhr."
3) "Ich gehe Kegeln am dreiundzwanzigsten Oktober um sechzehn Uhr." (bowling as a noun?)
4) "Ich werde am dreiundzwanzigsten Oktober um sechzehn Uhr kegeln gehen."

Ich habe keine Ahnung :mad:
(edited 10 years ago)
Okk so I have ruled option number 2 out!

It's between option 1, 3 & 4 now...hmmm I think I will have to ask the audience ;D

The audience saysssssssssssssss??? :wink:
4. Ich kann eigentlich besser Deutsch
A brief reminder of perfect tense formation.

You will know that most verbs form the past tense by combining the present tense of haben with their own past participle. Strong verbs have irregular past participles that you need to learn, and weak ones are predictable. So, all, in all, it’s fairly similar to English. Probably not surprising, considering both are West Germanic languages!

I have drunk the cup of tea.= ich habe die Tasse Tee getrunken.
You (singular) have drunk the cup of tea=du hast die Tasse Tee getrunken
She has drunk the cup of tea=sie hat die Tasse Tee getrunken
We have drunk the cup of tea=wir haben die Tasse Tee getrunken
You (plural) have drunk the cup of tea=ihr habt die Tasse Tee getrunken
They have drunk the cup of tea=sie haben die Tasse Tee getrunken
You (formal) have drunk the cup of tea=Sie haben die Tasse Tee getrunken

The AS-level extension point here, where German has less in common with English, and more in common with French, are the exceptions, which use the present tense of sein to form their perfect tense.
You will doubtless have encountered and have used some of them already. For example, gehen.

I went/have gone=ich bin gegangen
you went/have gone=du bist gegegangen
he went/has gone=er ist gegangen
we went/we have gone=wir sind gegangen
you went/you have gone=ihr seid gegangen
they went/they have gone=sie sind gegangen
You went/have gone=Sie sind gegangen

In Hochdeutsch, these verbs can be broadly grouped into two categories (well, the ones you encounter at GCSE to AS-level can be):

Intransitive verbs expressing a change of place; i.e motion.
This is the group to which gehen belongs. Some other examples of verbs in this group are fliegen (das Flugzeug ist nach Frankfurt geflogen),
schwimmen (der Affe ist über den Fluß geschwommen)
and laufen (die Sportlerin ist schnell gelaufen).

Intransitive verbs expressing a change of state. Some examples include sterben (changing from alive to dead- die Dinosaurier sind gestorben) and wachsen (growing- das Madchen ist gewachsen).

The two most important exceptions to these groupings right now are:
Sein, which uses sein to form its perfect form, presumably out of a sense of solidarity (ihr seid nett gewesen)
Bleiben, which is sometimes included in the change of state group of verbs by frustrated grammarians! (Sie ist in der Bibliothek geblieben)

Application of possessive adjectives/possessive determiners/words that go like ein/those whatyoumacallits

Insert the appropriate word, paying attention to case, gender and number, into the gap in the German sentence.

Example
Her baby has been born
___ Baby ist geboren.
Ihr Baby ist geboren.

The gender of nouns likely to be new has been indicated in brackets.

1) His book fell on my foot.
____ Buch ist auf meinen Fuß gefallen
2) She has hidden your MP3-player, Kristin. (MP3-Spieler, m)
Sie hat ______ MP3-Spieler verborgen, Kristin.
3) My aunt is very nice.
_____ Tante ist sehr nett.
4) Where is her cat?
Wo ist ____ Katze?
5) When is your birthday, Mr Schmidt?
Wann ist ___ Geburtstag, Herr Schmidt?
6) He ate my chocolate bar! (Schokokriegel, m)
Er hat ______ Schokokriegel gegessen!
7) Did you receive my text-message last night? (SMS-Mitteilung, f)
Hast du _____ SMS-Mitteilung letzte Nacht bekommen?
8) I love my mobile phone! (Handy, n)
Ich liebe ____ Handy.
9) I like his perfume (Parfüm, n)
Ich mag ____ Parfüm.
10) That criminal has stolen her bag! (Beutel, m)
Jener Kriminelle hat _____ Beutel gestohlen.

Spoiler

I didn't mean it like that :tongue: I was mocking myself for being confused by the lack of activity, when I didn't realise that previous posts were reserved to be edited later :lol:
Don't worry. I understood really:tongue:

I have now written the damned assignment, and it will be posted tomorrow. There will also be an exciting *mocks self* update tomorrow. But for tonight, I am going to go and rest in front of Battlestar Galactica.

Original post by thatitootoo
Euch1, der schnellen Vionar, die andere Leute von2 TSR, und natuerlich der sehr intelligenten Constantmeowage, koennen alle viel besser Deutsch als ich... !!
All things in red should not be there. Tables of adjectival agreements with the definite article are in the back of your book. Look at them!

1 are you addressing Fish, or everyone at once.
The former is du, the latter is ihr. Are you getting confused with wie geht es euch?
2 der is a form of the. TSR is The Student Room! You were saying "The the"!
(edited 10 years ago)
Yayayayay a thread for this!! I'm not sure if I count though because I did the gcse in year 10 (but AS next year in yr12) :colondollar:
Don't worry. I understood really:tongue:

I have now written the damned assignment, and it will be posted tomorrow. There will also be an exciting *mocks self* update tomorrow. But for tonight, I am going to go and rest in front of Battlestar Galactica.

All things in red should not be there. Tables of adjectival agreements with the definite article are in the back of your book. Look at them!

1 are you addressing Fish, or everyone at once.
The former is du, the latter is ihr. Are you getting confused with wie geht es euch?
2 der is a form of the. TSR is The Student Room! You were saying "The the"!

oh
I was indeed going for 'you guys' and should have sticked with my usual 'Sie'
feminine adhectives for guys names!? :redface:
TSR as just a brand name tbh...not anything with a meaning
still revising some old stuff...I should be able to join in the fun properly soonies
Revision post
Before we continue on, it seemed wise to revisit what we’ve covered so far, because I take so long to update, that there’s ample time to forget!

Complete the German translations of the following sentences.
1) He eats the lettuce.
__ ____ den Kopfsalat.
2) Where is my mobile phone?
Wo ist ____ Handy?
3) Danielle and Sabine, are you learning German?
Danielle und Sabine, _____ ihr Deutsch?
4) Robert, I can see you!
Robert, ich kann ____ sehen!
5) Do you have a favourite TV channel?
____ du einen Lieblingsfernsehsender?
6) Usain Bolt has run the fastest!
Usain Bolt ___ am schnellsten gelaufen!
7) He loves his MP3-player.
Er liebt ______ MP3-Spieler.
8) The ambassadress can see the giant pandas.
Die Botschafterin ____ die Bambusbären sehen.
9) Do you think that we can afford the house?
Denkst du, dass wir ___ Haus leisten können?
10) The children like reading her book/
Die Kinder lesen gern ___ Buch.

Spoiler

Original post by thatitootoo
oh
I was indeed going for 'you guys' and should have sticked with my usual 'Sie'
feminine adhectives for guys names!? :redface:
TSR as just a brand name tbh...not anything with a meaning
Commitment to further learning and extending thyself, eh?

Original post by Dominicoben
Yayayayay a thread for this!! I'm not sure if I count though because I did the gcse in year 10 (but AS next year in yr12) :colondollar:

Sounds like you're eligible to me!
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Dominicoben

Same here :five: Have been doing Spanish for the last year :shakecane: :emo:

:wink:

Why did you go all Canadian on us?
Prepositions which govern the accusative case: collaborators in your downfall!
Except not really.

The German language contains various prepositions; the uses of these prepositions follow specific rules- yes, that’s right, cases!
Some prepositions exclusively govern the accusative case. If something declinable (article, determiner, adjective, whatever) comes between them and the noun, it has to be in the accusative case! The commonest ones, which I will use for this post, are perhaps durch, für, ohne, and um.

Durch= through, across (place)
Sie geht durch das Feuer.
[video="youtube;v6eBYM5B2w8"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6eBYM5B2w8[/video]
I couldn't find a German version.

Für= (mostly) for
Diese Brief ist für dich.

Ohne= without
Dein Bruder ist ohne den Mantel ausgegangen!
Um = around (place)
Die Katze läuft um die Ecke. Sie sitzen um den Tisch.

This list is not an exhaustive list of accusative prepositions, and the prepositions that I have included have other senses/meanings not included here. But in all senses, they remain accusative prepositions. So that’s nice and simple for you!

Why did you go all Canadian on us?
Ich bin viertelkanadisch!

My full Canadian friends say I'm officially entitled to use it (after an initial accusation of stealing).:tongue:
(edited 10 years ago)
Boop! Prospective A level German student here. I already bought Living German many months ago on the recommendation of Octo (who instructed me to begin working through it asap no less, which I didn't) and now I need to revise and learn some more of the German language so I can go into my A levels feeling confident.

I wonder what the most frightening aspect of German grammar is going to be during the AS year? Is it the subjunctive? Whenever I heard the word 'subjunctive' spoken in German and Spanish class I used to hear intakes of breath and whispers...is it mythical? Does it exist? Must I be a native German to use it? Who knows!

(Octo probably knows :holmes:)
It’s that time again, when I realise I’ve neglected the thread for ages.
When I left you, I’d just reminded you of accusative prepositions.
Here’s a tiny exercise applying them.

Complete the gaps with a correctly declined article or a preposition, as appropriate.
1) Bobbie ran through the tunnel.
Bobbie ist durch ___ Tunnel gelaufen . (Tunnel, m)
2) Is there a letter for me?
Gibt es einen Brief ___ mich?
3) She can’t live without her girlfriend.
Sie kann nicht ohne ____ Freundin leben.
4) Does this device operate around the clock? (Uhr, f)
Arbeitet dieses Gerät rund um ___ Uhr?

Spoiler

The Dative Case: Pronouns
dative_prep.GIF

Nominative ich du er sie wir ihr sie Sie
Accusative mich dich ihn sie uns euch sie Sie
Dative mir dir ihm ihr uns euch ihnen Ihnen

FAQ
1) What is the dative case fracking for?

a. The dative case is used for indirect objects, such as the receiver of an object. The dative case commonly equates to for or to.

I gave the present to her
or I gave her the present=ich habe ihr das Geschenk gegeben.

b. Some verbs also exclusively govern the dative case.
Some examples: raten=to advise; danken=to thank, glauben=to believe

I advise her=ich rate ihr
She thanks them=sie dankt ihnen
You believe me=du glaubst mir

c. To go with prepositions that exclusively govern the dative case.

d. To go with prepositions that govern the accusative or the dative case, depending on context.

e. To go with reflexive verbs that take the dative, either exclusively, or in certain uses.

2) Can I cope with this?

Yes.

3) So, can you get it over with, and tell me about some of these dative-prepositions?

Again, yes. We will focus on those prepositions that are exclusively dative soon.

4) 4) Do the definite and indefinite articles have a dative case?

Yep!

Articles_dative_case.GIF

*Note well. In the dative plural, you add +n to the noun

Original post by 21stcenturyphantom
Boop! Prospective A level German student here. I already bought Living German many months ago on the recommendation of Octo (who instructed me to begin working through it asap no less, which I didn't) and now I need to revise and learn some more of the German language so I can go into my A levels feeling confident.

I wonder what the most frightening aspect of German grammar is going to be during the AS year? Is it the subjunctive? Whenever I heard the word 'subjunctive' spoken in German and Spanish class I used to hear intakes of breath and whispers...is it mythical? Does it exist? Must I be a native German to use it? Who knows!

(Octo probably knows :holmes:)

I cannot speak for the Spanish subjunctive, but the German one and its uses turned out to be quite clear (according to grammar books, but colloquial usage may vary...). You might not actually cover it until A2, though, you know.:biggrin:
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending