The Student Room Group

Degree Change

Hi Guys,

Kinda new to all this but just wondering if anyone had any advice or information on changing degree. I have just finished my second year BA Events Management and although I enjoy it it's not what I want to do :frown:. I have been interested in midwifery for a while now and after looking into it for months and emailing various people I still seem to be none the wiser.

I have been told that there are no places for 2013 and that reserve lists are full (so there might not even be a chance I can get in through clearing). I don't know weather I'm better
1.finishing this year coming out with my BA then applying for midwifery and starting all over again
2. leaving uni this year and applying
3. Looking into some sort of post grad? I don't even know if this is possible!?

Also does anyone know if I would get funding from SAAS because I already have started a degree (someone told me nursing was different)

Thanks !
Reply 1
You might as well try clearing, there may not be any spaces, but no harm in trying :smile: It is very competitive though, and I have to say that it will be pretty hard to find a place this way. It's up to you what you do next really. There are PG courses for midwifery but they often require a related degree, such as nursing or a biological science or something. Do you have relevant work experience? It is an absolute requirement so it'd be a good idea to get some, or perhaps get more if you already have some. Do you feel like you'd be able to put up with your course for another year? Would be a shame to waste 2 years of work, even if it's not what you want to do. And yes, you would still be eligible for SAAS funding; see here
Reply 2
I think I will try to go through clearing and see where that gets me if not then I'll stick my BA out and get some work experience under my belt before applying next year! Thanks for your help
Think you have a good strategy. That's what I would have advised you to do. Midwifery is more competitive than nursing but I got onto my nursing course through clearing 2 years ago, so it is possible. Good luck :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending