The Student Room Group

Changing courses at uni... I don't know what to do

So I have just completed my first year of uni for the course politics, at the beginning of the year i attempted to change my course but was not taken seriously by my personal tutor, so I stayed on the course despite not liking it. Fast forward to now, I have applied to change courses to global sustainable development (GSD) and business studies as a joint honours degree. However. i have just been updated that the course is over subscribed and that they can offer me a place on the GSD course but I was not able to do the joint honours degree programme and their decision to is final. I'm stuck on what to do because I really wanted to do this joint honours degree. I was told that I would be able to do business modules as well but only if the Business department would allow me to do so, but my issue is that my degree title will not include the business studies portion, I know it doesn't seem like a big deal but it was important for me to have both. Im not sure what I should do. Help is much appreciated.
Reply 1
If politics isn't for you just try to change to something more interested and try to force the issue with your tutor.
Original post by Nora_M
So I have just completed my first year of uni for the course politics, at the beginning of the year i attempted to change my course but was not taken seriously by my personal tutor, so I stayed on the course despite not liking it. Fast forward to now, I have applied to change courses to global sustainable development (GSD) and business studies as a joint honours degree. However. i have just been updated that the course is over subscribed and that they can offer me a place on the GSD course but I was not able to do the joint honours degree programme and their decision to is final. I'm stuck on what to do because I really wanted to do this joint honours degree. I was told that I would be able to do business modules as well but only if the Business department would allow me to do so, but my issue is that my degree title will not include the business studies portion, I know it doesn't seem like a big deal but it was important for me to have both. Im not sure what I should do. Help is much appreciated.

Hi @Nora_M,

I'm sorry to hear you're stuck on what to do. It's unfortunate that you weren't taken seriously by your personal tutor. Are you able to bring this up with them again, or would it be worth seeing if you can switch to a different personal tutor? They are there to help you, so they should be taking you seriously.

As for the new course, it's great you've found something you're interested in. Would you be willing to just study GSD, or would it be worth seeing if the joint honours programme is offered elsewhere? If you feel it is important for you to study both or have both in the degree title, you should pursue it, as you are going to be putting a lot of time, money, and effort into gaining this degree.

I definitely think it would be beneficial for you to make an appointment with a careers advisor or another member of staff at your university that could help you look through your options. This way, you can be fully informed of everything you need to consider!

I hope this helps and best of luck,
Isabella 🙂

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending