The Student Room Group

I can already tell that i am a TERRIBLE driver :( Where should i be? Any advice?

Hi everyone... as mentioned in the title, I am a bad driver, and i just wondered where i should be at this stage? (please don't say everyone is different lol I'm thinking of an average or where you were after having the same amount of tuition as me)

I have had 4 lessons (7 hours worth as some lessons were 2hrs each) so far and i am still having major issues with the basics!
For example, i cant steer well, my instructor says i 'drift' all the time and i don't position myself well, on top of me not judging how much to steer when turning a corner!
My instructor is constantly having to tell me how much to turn, where to position myself and to straighten up etc. as well as constantly telling me when to change gear and reminding me what to do every time i need to turn a corner, turn left/right at a junction, slow down or stop!
Also, my instructor is still having to use the dual controls lots and also grab the steering wheel loads of times too!
Oh, i also have trouble changing gears, i never know where the gear stick is so i find myself looking out the corner of my eye and then my steering goes wonky! I know i do this but i cant seem to stop! also when trying to change gear i have trouble moving it and it gets stuck and say im changing from 1 to 2 sometimes it ends up at 4 and the instructor has to sort it out! :angry:

The only thing i can do is set off (with no instruction but not very well), pull up (although my position is usual wonky) and do my 'msm' when turning at a junction (which is probably about 9/10 times).
Also, i have spent today going over the 'mspsgl' routine today to try and tackle my issue of not knowing what to do when turning at junctions! I just hope it doesn't go out of my head when i'm driving as that is probably what will happen!

So my question is, where are people normally at this stage? Do people normally have the above covered, or am i about the same as everyone else?

IF anyone has any advice its muchly appreciated :smile: (some people have told me to do extra tuition with family but this isn't an option for me, i can only learn during my paid tuition!)

THANKS!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
Its different for everybody. There is no set place you should be after 7 hours of lessons which isnt a huge amount. Stop worrying and practice practice practice.
Reply 2
I think you're fine. I was probably at the same stage as you on my 7th hour. Also, as the above user has mentioned, 7 hours is really not allot for someone who has never driven before. Don't worry, you're fine- it just takes practice!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
I've done 4 hours of lessons but I found that steering around corners came quite easily to me. I find pulling off using the clutch difficult - stalled it twice in a row today. I'm ok with turning, but I drift when I change gears, cause I look down at the gearbox too much. I think you maybe could've advanced a little more than you have, but everyone works at different rates. for example some of my friends have done more hours than me, but only done about the same amount of things, whereas others have done less time and are further ahead. You just have to find the pace you feel comfortable with. You'll get there in the end no matter how long it takes. :smile:
I'd give you some advice but I was still going round roundabouts in the wrong lane and stalling 5 times at traffic lights on my 4th test!
Reply 5
Original post by LavenderBlueSky88
I'd give you some advice but I was still going round roundabouts in the wrong lane and stalling 5 times at traffic lights on my 4th test!

I don't feel so bad now for stalling twice at a junction today.
Reply 6
Original post by Tilly Seargeant
I don't feel so bad now for stalling twice at a junction today.

You could say that if you crashed into a school and ricocheted into a nuclear power station, kicking it off.
Hey, when I had only 7 hours I went around the wrong way around the roundabout.

I Passed 2nd time with 2 minors after about 30 more hours of learning.

Keep your head up and relax, you're gonna be more than fine :smile:
Don't stress, it'll all click in eventually. My control of the whole car was always pretty decent, but my awareness, planning and general road usage wasn't very good at all until the later stages.
Of course you're not! After 7 hours of lessons I was just starting to do my maneuvers, pretty badly as well I must admit!

My instructor had to use the dual controls a lot too, especially when approaching traffic lights as I had a tendency to brake down the gears & then my foot would move from the brake to the accelerator even though I didn't press it down!

also used to go in the wrong lane for roundabouts, & mess up hill starts. I even nearly bumped the kerb doing a reverse round the corner during the lesson before my test because of nerves, & he had to grab the steering wheel!

I wouldn't worry, everybody learns at different rates. I had 50 hours of lessons before my test, my friend had around 60 & my brother only needed 30 (though he passed 2nd time not 1st like me, but that's probably because I had more lessons, I don't know).

Keep practicing!!
Hey don't worry, the reason it feels like things aren't going well is partially because you still need to think about things a lot. The more you routine things come the less you actively think about them and the easier it is. My instructor was often having to tell me to not drift into things, I used to always steer the direction I was changing gear in (took a long time for me to stop doing that, and absolutely could not change going round a corner)

Honestly, I've been driving over a year now and I still stall.. and yesterday, forgot how to parallel park because I got too nervous about it... which is pretty ridiculous because I know I can do it!

7hrs is nothing, the more you worry and stress about it, the worse it is! 2hr lessons are good, and pace them well once a week is fine to start with!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending