The Student Room Group

motivation

I chose really *****y subjects for my a levels that pretty much prevent me from doing anything that mildly interests me, and of course they are subjects that i am mostly awful at (economics). And on top of that i chose university courses that i dont even want to do and am constantly regretting. An undergrad in computer science doesnt sound half bad (with a foundation year). But, of course, i didnt apply for that, and the course i did get an offer from makes it near impossible to allow me to switch to computer science because of the sheer amount of applicants they have.

The subjects i chose were computer science, economics and BTEC IT for some god awful reason, im predicted A, B, D* (and an A in core maths). These are definitely better than the grades required to be accept the offer i received, but my hopes of achieving them are very quickly fading away. Not to mention, my college didnt even let me swap IT for maths last year because apparently it was too late in the year (it was halfway through the year) which i think was pretty stupid so that ruined my chances of a solid future even more. They just didnt want to teach an extra person half a years work, when all they had to do was give me the textbooks and work booklets because ive always been good at maths.

Ive done most of my exams now with a few to go, i am quite certain that i have achieved well below the entry requirements for the course offer that gives me at least some academic future (engineering foundation year). You can tell me "oh you dont know that" or "youve probably done better than you expected", well i havent, i definitely havent. I was in the exam hall ******** monstrous dookies and just couldnt do the questions right, ive always been terrible at exams but great at coursework and anything that doesnt require regurgitating information and writing essays. I have lost every single bit of motivation for revising at this point and find myself doing the bare minimum, if not less, of revision every day.

With university far out of reach, you might think an apprenticeship would be possible, i have no work experience, no drivers license, no money, an empty CV, and have been rejected from 10 apprenticeships. Right now my options are: just apply next year(assuming i get the grades(assuming they let me in)), join the military, keep applying for random apprenticeships, find a dead end job work 9-5 and come home from the local pub occasionally to beat my wife because the footy didnt go how i wanted it to. People have been telling me that i have my whole life ahead of me and its only a grade, but ive been led to believe from my birth that achieving high grades and going to university is of utmost importance, especially with eastern european parents and brothers that have degrees in aerospace engineering and architecture.

I am now realising that there isnt any point or question that im getting at, im probably just going to join the army and die in some war, at least i have 3 citizenships so have a choice of three countries to die for
Original post by tedkazcynski
I chose really *****y subjects for my a levels that pretty much prevent me from doing anything that mildly interests me, and of course they are subjects that i am mostly awful at (economics). And on top of that i chose university courses that i dont even want to do and am constantly regretting. An undergrad in computer science doesnt sound half bad (with a foundation year). But, of course, i didnt apply for that, and the course i did get an offer from makes it near impossible to allow me to switch to computer science because of the sheer amount of applicants they have.

The subjects i chose were computer science, economics and BTEC IT for some god awful reason, im predicted A, B, D* (and an A in core maths). These are definitely better than the grades required to be accept the offer i received, but my hopes of achieving them are very quickly fading away. Not to mention, my college didnt even let me swap IT for maths last year because apparently it was too late in the year (it was halfway through the year) which i think was pretty stupid so that ruined my chances of a solid future even more. They just didnt want to teach an extra person half a years work, when all they had to do was give me the textbooks and work booklets because ive always been good at maths.

Ive done most of my exams now with a few to go, i am quite certain that i have achieved well below the entry requirements for the course offer that gives me at least some academic future (engineering foundation year). You can tell me "oh you dont know that" or "youve probably done better than you expected", well i havent, i definitely havent. I was in the exam hall ******** monstrous dookies and just couldnt do the questions right, ive always been terrible at exams but great at coursework and anything that doesnt require regurgitating information and writing essays. I have lost every single bit of motivation for revising at this point and find myself doing the bare minimum, if not less, of revision every day.

With university far out of reach, you might think an apprenticeship would be possible, i have no work experience, no drivers license, no money, an empty CV, and have been rejected from 10 apprenticeships. Right now my options are: just apply next year(assuming i get the grades(assuming they let me in)), join the military, keep applying for random apprenticeships, find a dead end job work 9-5 and come home from the local pub occasionally to beat my wife because the footy didnt go how i wanted it to. People have been telling me that i have my whole life ahead of me and its only a grade, but ive been led to believe from my birth that achieving high grades and going to university is of utmost importance, especially with eastern european parents and brothers that have degrees in aerospace engineering and architecture.

I am now realising that there isnt any point or question that im getting at, im probably just going to join the army and die in some war, at least i have 3 citizenships so have a choice of three countries to die for

This is depressing to read.

...and no, your options are not as limited as you think.

I think it's more important to look into what you are interested in doing in. Let's define further options that you are eligible for, yeesh:

Do extra A Levels in your gap year as a private candidate (you should manage to do up to 2 in 1 year, if you work hard)

Retake your A Levels in your gap year

Go into industry - tech industry doesn't require you to have specific qualifications, but it's ideal if you have specific professional IT qualifications

Study a subject that accept qualifications in any subject - from the look of things you chose economics, computer science, and the odd BTEC for specific reasons; what were they? There is a myriad of subjects that you can do with just those qualifications alone including law, business, sociology....I don't know what interests you other than IT, so...

Only about 200/800 careers in the UK will require you to have a degree. The other 600 or so you can do from working from either the ground up, having specific qualifications from adult colleges, doing professional qualifications, via apprenticeships, or by just having A Levels. I am not going over all 600, but if you want to do something with a particular theme like IT I could point you in the right direction

Do an Access course later on (minimum age is 19) at an adult college

I don't know what your intentions are, but if you are more specific I might be able to elaborate.
Reply 2
Original post by MindMax2000

I think it's more important to look into what you are interested in doing in. Let's define further options that you are eligible for, yeesh:

Do extra A Levels in your gap year as a private candidate (you should manage to do up to 2 in 1 year, if you work hard)

Go into industry - tech industry doesn't require you to have specific qualifications, but it's ideal if you have specific professional IT qualifications

Study a subject that accept qualifications in any subject - from the look of things you chose economics, computer science, and the odd BTEC for specific reasons; what were they? There is a myriad of subjects that you can do with just those qualifications alone including law, business, sociology....I don't know what interests you other than IT, so...

Only about 200/800 careers in the UK will require you to have a degree. The other 600 or so you can do from working from either the ground up, having specific qualifications from adult colleges, doing professional qualifications, via apprenticeships, or by just having A Levels. I am not going over all 600, but if you want to do something with a particular theme like IT I could point you in the right direction

I don't know what your intentions are, but if you are more specific I might be able to elaborate.

i dont know what my intentions are, i have absolutely no idea what career i want to do, not even the sector that i want to go into, the only reason i did IT instead of an actual A level was because im not good at anything else and i hated every second of it and constantly regret it. Im not one of those people who is going to do a useless degree like sociology or business, you cant tell me that theyre useful, theyre just for people who dont know what to do, but want a degree for some reason.

I dont think i can take another year of a levels it was one of the most boring experiences of my life and have no idea how people enjoy it, let alone voluntarily do a maths a level in a single year, which isnt even an option according to my college, and i guess an access course is pretty much the same as an a level.
(edited 11 months ago)

Dont be so negative, this is just a hurdle in your journey, as long as you are willing to work hard you can find another path into something you are actually interested in, you are lacking motivation because u dont care about the usbjects ur doing......maybe u can talk to ur school councellor or soem other trusted adult in your life for some guidance...things may seem bleak but u being so neagtive wont help the situation..see this as an oppurtunity to reinevent your future----u can do it, believe in urself and give it ur best shot...best of luck...:smile:........also dont let hard experiences ruin ur character , instaed let them make u stronger and a better human.......remember humans are resilient, ppl have overcome both better and worse situations than u.....
Reply 4
Original post by Chickenunicorn17
Dont be so negative, this is just a hurdle in your journey, as long as you are willing to work hard you can find another path into something you are actually interested in, you are lacking motivation because u dont care about the usbjects ur doing......maybe u can talk to ur school councellor or soem other trusted adult in your life for some guidance...things may seem bleak but u being so neagtive wont help the situation..see this as an oppurtunity to reinevent your future----u can do it, believe in urself and give it ur best shot...best of luck...:smile:........also dont let hard experiences ruin ur character , instaed let them make u stronger and a better human.......remember humans are resilient, ppl have overcome both better and worse situations than u.....

why should i work hard and find another path when all paths that supposedly prepare me for my future have been bleak and useless, what proof do i have that there is hope when i have never experienced anything remotely enjoyable in the uk education system, other peoples experiences do not count because surprisingly enough i am not them
Reply 5

clearing exists so u gotta fix ur mentality g

stop being a b*tch and get work done nobody likes exam season and nobody likes exams and the majority of people are in ur situation and will end up becoming bums because they accept their result before they even sit the test.

u may have flopped on some exams g but not all yet so go revise and get off tsr and grind for like literally 2/3 weeks at max and then exams are over and u can chill, see what u can do w ur grades and make the most out of what u got. get into uni through clearing in a course u want or hopefully the one u already applied for and start learning about ecommerce and marketing on the side, trading n sh. its not easy to get into that stuff but it 100% is worth the time and effort so yh gl
Reply 6
Original post by MindMax2000

about this bro if u dont wanna retake ur a levels then instead of being forced to work for another year on a levels that u find boring stop being a little kid and work for 2/3 weeks g if u want a good life then do the hard work its that simple u jus needa stop being a rtrd about it
Reply 7
Original post by wzrdium
clearing exists so u gotta fix ur mentality g

stop being a b*tch and get work done nobody likes exam season and nobody likes exams and the majority of people are in ur situation and will end up becoming bums because they accept their result before they even sit the test.

u may have flopped on some exams g but not all yet so go revise and get off tsr and grind for like literally 2/3 weeks at max and then exams are over and u can chill, see what u can do w ur grades and make the most out of what u got. get into uni through clearing in a course u want or hopefully the one u already applied for and start learning about ecommerce and marketing on the side, trading n sh. its not easy to get into that stuff but it 100% is worth the time and effort so yh gl

clearing exists for people who get the grades they need, id rather not go to university at all than do a degree that i dont even want to do or never planned on doing, theres only one degree that i have an interest in doing (computer science) and that is very far out of reach especially if i dont get the grades, clearing cant get me into a computer science course
Reply 8
Original post by wzrdium
about this bro if u dont wanna retake ur a levels then instead of being forced to work for another year on a levels that u find boring stop being a little kid and work for 2/3 weeks g if u want a good life then do the hard work its that simple u jus needa stop being a rtrd about it

yeah okay theres plenty of places hiring no experience no drivers license 18 year olds where i am, sure bud, not really sure what getting a minimum wage job would accomplish
Reply 9
just want to clarify for the andrew tate tik tok dropshipping crypto teens that seem to be giving me excellent life advice, if you tell me to do ecommerce or something similar i will do untold violence to your lineage
Reply 10
just want to clarify for the andrew tate tik tok dropshipping crypto teens that seem to be giving me excellent life advice, if you tell me to do ecommerce or something similar i will do untold violence to your lineage

its not andrew tate lol its been a thing forever dropshipping is over hyped, ecommerce is where money is to be made and so is trading

if u dont have a driving license go get a driving license instead of complaining

if u wanna do computer science so badly then grow some balls and retake and go do it or do internships gain exp and then find out there is no easy way to do it so put the work in instead of being so depressed
Reply 11
u make a thread about motivation and im telling u there is no easy way around it like if u want 100% straight up advice it is to get and do the work you can for the exams u have left, retake a levels, or go and start working

ur not getting get the worlds best job instantly with a high pay with 0 exp and being a bum who couldnt do the work in a levels. ur gonna start low from yh a min wage job and work ur way up, thats how the world is, or u can just go join the army at least and improve your discipline
Reply 12
i aint tryna come across as rude either im tryna help u by being straight up about it since people on thestudentroom just wanna comfort u and make u feel good about doing sh wrong
i dont know what my intentions are, i have absolutely no idea what career i want to do, not even the sector that i want to go into, the only reason i did IT instead of an actual A level was because im not good at anything else and i hated every second of it and constantly regret it. Im not one of those people who is going to do a useless degree like sociology or business, you cant tell me that theyre useful, theyre just for people who dont know what to do, but want a degree for some reason.

I dont think i can take another year of a levels it was one of the most boring experiences of my life and have no idea how people enjoy it, let alone voluntarily do a maths a level in a single year, which isnt even an option according to my college, and i guess an access course is pretty much the same as an a level.

Perhaps academics isn't for you? Do you prefer to do something more hands on?

I wouldn't recommend jumping into an industry just because you're good at it. Anyone can theoretically be good at something given enough time and practice. If you're not enjoying what you would be doing, then you're just repeating the same scenario as you would likely have done in college (take it from someone who did something similar).

Typical advice about how to find something you want to do usually involve thinking about:

What you grew up around

What your strengths and weaknesses are

What your values are

What you wanted to do when you're 5

Naming the times when you were the most excited and alive

What your personality profile says (e.g. MBTi careers)

What you would do if you were not paid for it

What other people say you should do based on your personality

When was the last time you were in the 'flow' state of mind and what were you specifically doing

I would also include the following video for advice that's rather new: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuHEY7CjjTI

I have come across people who did IT at college, got really high grades but decided to change track and went on to become a chef. One person who did a degree in computer science then later became a salesperson in the IT industry before becoming a director of a plc. Just because you're good at something doesn't necessarily mean you want to or should do something.

If you're set on doing IT still, I would recommend looking into professional IT certifications instead of degrees and other courses at college. The certifications are more vocational (less academic) and are usually more credible in industry. The problem that I have with IT certifications is that some might have an expiration date, so you would need to retake certain exams every few years. However, it's a good way of getting something on your CV for that first job in the industry (other than networking like crazy).

Just to clarify:
When you do A Levels as a private candidate, you don't necessarily do it through the college. There are online college courses that you can do instead of in class A Levels (as far as I know, there's a college in London where you can take A Levels after you're 19, but that's about it in terms of adult colleges), but it involves a lot of self discipline. You can alternatively pick up a textbook and then self study the subject, which is difficult if the subject is not particularly easy. As a private candidate, you will have to arrange and pay for your own exams. This is not the same as getting your current college to arrange everything for you.

An Access course is a Level 3 qualification (equivalent of 3 A Levels), but it's:

More intensive than A Level because you have to do everything in 1 year

Not as difficult in material as A Level, because you have to do everything in 1 year

It's a more academic course than A Levels, so it's different. However, it's an alternative way of getting into university, should you want to do it via this route.
why should i work hard and find another path when all paths that supposedly prepare me for my future have been bleak and useless, what proof do i have that there is hope when i have never experienced anything remotely enjoyable in the uk education system, other peoples experiences do not count because surprisingly enough i am not them

exactly ur not them , everyone has a different experience and different hardships, and there is definitley other ppl out there who have had a worse experience in uk education then u have ....but the thing is it isnt what happens to u but ur reactions that determine the type of lifestyle u will have ..cause honestly the truth is no one has it easy , we all have our own difficulties...life throws challenges but the successful ppl are those that have the right mentality and who dont give up...believe in urslef nad yeah u should ask urself: why should i work hard? - u need to have a purpose, a goal to drive urself towards whatever it may be ...and if u are truly passionate about computer science or whatever it is u r intersted in then u will make it work cause when ppl care about somehting they push through for it and remember its ur dreams etc no one else can put the work in for u , u gotta do it urslef, human up and u CAN do it, stop being pessemistic just cause life threw hardships at u , the truly strong ppl are those that try to remian upbeat in the face of adversity....get up again and show urself what u can do.......i dont know u but u have what it takes...use that hidden potential and go for it..after all if u have already hit rock bottom u dont have anything to lose....yes ur on the floor but u can look up and so u can carry on fighting...dont give up...ur so young...ur life is just beginning and this is a hurdle nto the end
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 15
that MBTI test said i should do engineering/technician, i think its a sign
that MBTI test said i should do engineering/technician, i think its a sign

Hilarious. It means you have a strong affinity for engineering/technician, as it clearly shows by your computer science marks. However, it doesn't necessarily mean you want to do it or you will enjoy it.

Don't get me wrong though, working in engineering or as a technician will get you a good living. However, if you don't enjoy it it will just end up being another bore. By all means go into it and try it out; it's usually the only way you will find out whether you would truly like it or not.

Do keep your mind open though that it might not be as good as it first may seem.

Quick Reply

Latest