The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

HI everybody thanks for the replies.

Ive started doing one night at my uni house and the rest at home (as I have my university house till July and ive already paid) im feeling a million times better in the sense that I can actually do my work now. Im trying really really hard socially going out for lunch with friends spending afternoons with my housemates even if its just watching tv so they don't think im being selfish and don't care. I spoke to my GP she said she doesn't think its depression (which I don't either I think im just very unhappy at uni) because when im home im absolutely fine its just when im at uni I end up feeling depressed so to speak.

Do you think that doing one night here and trying my hardest with them will stop them thinking im not trying or missing out?
Reply 81
Original post by SillyMilly
HI everybody thanks for the replies.

Ive started doing one night at my uni house and the rest at home (as I have my university house till July and ive already paid) im feeling a million times better in the sense that I can actually do my work now. Im trying really really hard socially going out for lunch with friends spending afternoons with my housemates even if its just watching tv so they don't think im being selfish and don't care. I spoke to my GP she said she doesn't think its depression (which I don't either I think im just very unhappy at uni) because when im home im absolutely fine its just when im at uni I end up feeling depressed so to speak.

Do you think that doing one night here and trying my hardest with them will stop them thinking im not trying or missing out?

I'm sure your housemates will understand completely if you let them know the situation. It sounds as though you may just be homesick, which can actually be a really hard thing! Put your happiness first and then think about what others may think after!
Reply 82
Hello I need some help deciding whether or not I should stay at home or stay at uni the uni I have chosen is de montford however I live in Birmingham and the journey would take me 2h 30 to get to the uni by train, I'm very attached to my home meaning I only go out when I need to however I was wondering is it possible for me to make this journey every day or should I get accommodation. P.s if I do move out I won't be able to do any of my driving lessons (takes 1h15 by car) that's one of my priorities right now along side of getting good grades please can you help me decide.
Original post by ashraf96
Hello I need some help deciding whether or not I should stay at home or stay at uni the uni I have chosen is de montford however I live in Birmingham and the journey would take me 2h 30 to get to the uni by train, I'm very attached to my home meaning I only go out when I need to however I was wondering is it possible for me to make this journey every day or should I get accommodation. P.s if I do move out I won't be able to do any of my driving lessons (takes 1h15 by car) that's one of my priorities right now along side of getting good grades please can you help me decide.

I'd personally say move out and get accommodation, 2h30 is completely unmanageable. Sure, people who live in the Midlands and commute to London do it every day, but they're also people who can afford to do so. I can't help but think it'd probably be cheaper to get university accommodation, the season pass for Birmingham to your uni would cost a fortune.

Even 1h15 by car wouldn't be brilliant, and it'd probably take longer if you had a 9am lecture and were driving during the rush hour. There's plenty of time to learn how to drive a car, wait until after university if you have to.
Reply 84
Its actually quite cheaper to travel than to stay their I also want to say that for my insurance choice I have picked Wolverhampton which is only an hour away since I like staying at home would you suggest me to go Wolverhampton or still get accommodation and go de montford (I'm going to study software engineering for both uni)

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Move away and cut the apron strings - not only will it do you a lot of good, but a 2.5 hour commute will kill both you and any social life

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 86
I'd personally say you should commute to uni. I'm starting in September myself and live 1 hour away from there and thinking of commuting it to uni. Also it will work out cheaper, coz I done some research, in an annual basis you'd be spending about £2500 for train. And that's cool. If you would stay there, accommodation is roughly £6000 a year. That's a lot of money lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
really really stay at uni it's 2.5 hours by train each way thats a 5 hour commute which is killer. This isn't school you can have lectures finishing at 7 even 8 O'clock if you think about it that means you'll be at your home station at about 10:30 and what if you have a 9 0'clock lecture you'll have to be up at about 5 to get to uni on time oh an exams would be hell you just wouldn't be able to focus doing software you'll need to.

You will have no social life what so ever you say you have friends at home these friends will be at uni and will have moved away and you'll be all alone.

you know you could learn to drive at uni all citys towns villages have driveing schools so your driving lessons arn't a reason to stay home.

bottom line if you don't care about socal life (some people don't) and don't care about comfort (feeling sleepy) and things a 2.5 hour commute WILL affect your studies and means you won't get the grades you want because you'll be too knackered to work when you get home really if for no other reason than your grade stay down there you'll tegret it if you don't

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ashraf96

Move out the commute will be too much and it will impact your grades. Take it from me im suffering commuting and regret it. Moving out will be easier as you will be next to uni and wont have to wake up at like 5 in morning to make it on time to uni.
Hey guys, so I have a big decision to make…

What is the value of the ‘full university experience’?

I applied to study Primary Education (Early Years) at Sheffield Hallam and Leeds Trinity and I have recently received conditional offers from both universities. As I am currently studying a CACHE diploma in Childcare and Education, I have already taken my exam and I am well on target to achieve the conditions for both so meeting the conditions is not an issue.

I live about 15 minutes away from Sheffield Hallam so I would live at home while studying where as I would have to move into student accommodation if I was to study at Leeds Trinity.

However, this decision is proving difficult for me to make. I am certain that moving out wouldn’t be a big issue for me as practically I am capable of looking out for myself, however I don’t know if I could cope emotionally. How has everyone found living in halls, at any university? One big thing I’m worried about is that I don’t drink, at all and I’m not really a big party person. Sure I’m fine with going out and having a laugh but clubbing and raving and stuff like that doesn’t appeal to me. I know that shouldn’t be issue however I’m not sure how people would take it, especially during freshers week. The security of just being able to come home if I study at Sheffield Hallam is very appealing, however I don’t want this to stop me making friends and being social. I’m also very aware that I might regret not moving out if I stay at home.

Basically I just need some advice, do I stay at home and continue life as normal and continue my commitments I have at home, or do I start a fresh and move out?

HELP!
Reply 90
You only get to go to university once (in theory) so maybe having a your first year in accommodation would be a better experience, although you probably won't go out much if you don't really enjoy it, you can still make friends a lot easier whilst in accommodation and it gives you a chance for a new experience. Your home is home for life and you can always visit home if you miss it. You will one day have to live in your own house (if you choose to) so this would be a good place to start. Making new friends will keep your mind off home, and they will be in the same position as you. If you feel like you will miss home too much and it could jeopardize you're uni experience and education then consider staying at home. You could always stay at home for the first year , make friends, then in your second year move into a rented accommodation near your home uni? Hope this helps
Reply 91
I would live in halls. It's easier to make friends, and it doesn't really matter if you're not a big drinker, there will be lots of different kinds of people at university.

It's also good preparation for later. At some point (probably, if you would like to be independent from your parents) you will not be living at home. University is a good step from living with your family to living with friends, then to eventually living on your own. You may find it hard later on to make the big jump to living on your own if you haven't had the benefit of living in halls.

You can always visit home once a term. It's not much, but there's always Skype and so on.

In my opinion I don't think the idea of living in halls should put you off a university.
Move out my brother was like you he was all oh I don't like clubbing ect.... All that changed when he went to uni he doesn't drink but he was out almost every night you will miss out on a ton if you live at home
Reply 93
So I go to university in my local town and decided not to move into halls because I live ten minutes away from town. I regret big time not doing so because even though I have friends who I have met on my course, I feel I am missing out big time not living in halls and making new friends and going out regularly.

I had originally planned to move into a house with a friend and her flatmate but she told me this week she might drop out if she is offered a job, so I guess now I need to think about other options.

Is moving into halls in second year lame? Do you think I should do it to get a better experience at uni?
Reply 94
I know how you feel. I don't live in halls and definitely missed out on a lot. I say go for it lol :smile:
Reply 95
I am struggling with the same decision! The uni I hope to go to is only a 30 minute train journey away. Even though if i did move away from home i would only stop at university for the first year, it seems silly to take up over £5000 extra debt when the university itself is not far from home, and i would probably go home every weekend for commitments that I dont want to give up anyway. Like you I dont think I could cope emotionally with stopping at university, and am not interested in the partying side so i think i would feel pressured to join in on freshers week to make sure i dont isolate myself/jeopardise friendships/feel left out. I feel like living at hope would give the right amount of independence, I am still immersing myself into a new envrironment, learning at a high level, but still being reassured of the fact that I will be going home at the end of the day. I have heard that some universities have socities dedicated to stay at home students, which shows there are plenty of commuting students, so i suppose that is another opportunity to make friends with people that aren't on your course, aswell as the ones you will make in the normal societies. The only thing I worry about is that living in halls would perhaps make it easier to make friends, however i dont want to go to uni just to have the uni student life everyone raves on about, my main focus is to study hard at uni and acheive a really good degree. I know i would get really homesick living away, and i think feeling like that would make me dislike university. i have never really been away from family any longer than a week! This is just what I feel anyway, everyone feels completely different, only you know whats best for you. :smile:
Original post by GaS26
I am struggling with the same decision! The uni I hope to go to is only a 30 minute train journey away. Even though if i did move away from home i would only stop at university for the first year, it seems silly to take up over £5000 extra debt when the university itself is not far from home, and i would probably go home every weekend for commitments that I dont want to give up anyway. Like you I dont think I could cope emotionally with stopping at university, and am not interested in the partying side so i think i would feel pressured to join in on freshers week to make sure i dont isolate myself/jeopardise friendships/feel left out. I feel like living at hope would give the right amount of independence, I am still immersing myself into a new envrironment, learning at a high level, but still being reassured of the fact that I will be going home at the end of the day. I have heard that some universities have socities dedicated to stay at home students, which shows there are plenty of commuting students, so i suppose that is another opportunity to make friends with people that aren't on your course, aswell as the ones you will make in the normal societies. The only thing I worry about is that living in halls would perhaps make it easier to make friends, however i dont want to go to uni just to have the uni student life everyone raves on about, my main focus is to study hard at uni and acheive a really good degree. I know i would get really homesick living away, and i think feeling like that would make me dislike university. i have never really been away from family any longer than a week! This is just what I feel anyway, everyone feels completely different, only you know whats best for you. :smile:

It's up to you for you it would be more expensive but the benefits are huge you learn how to live on your own. You have a an amazing lifestyle (join the film club or something) really move into halls and it is so different to collage if you live at home according to 2 of my mates it feels just like collage so go new experiences new friends new life
Reply 97
I would think that learning to live on your own is'nt necessarily the reason why people question staying at home, surely by the age of 18 the majority of people would be mature enough to not need to learn how to live on their own?
Original post by New- Emperor
Move out my brother was like you he was all oh I don't like clubbing ect.... All that changed when he went to uni he doesn't drink but he was out almost every night you will miss out on a ton if you live at home

It's all true

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by GaS26
I would think that learning to live on your own is'nt necessarily the reason why people question staying at home, surely by the age of 18 the majority of people would be mature enough to not need to learn how to live on their own?

Well yeah but you are proving to yourself that you can do it you would be surprised how many people go to uni and can't even boil an egg or make Beans on toste
(edited 10 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending