The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jonathanemptage
You do know you can continue dancing at uni don't you even if you live out.

yeah i do, but i dont want to do dance at uni as i am just doing it as a hobby at the moment.
I'm sure you can still do it as a hobby you don't have to compete I climbed and skied as a hobby at uni
Reply 142
I am applying to start uni next year but I am really un sure whether to stay at home and drive in or stay in the halls. :/ I live approximately 35 minutes away from the university, and I'm nervous in case I don't make any friends if I don't stay in the halls.
Hello, i am looking at starting uni next year too. Where are you looking at applying for? From what I have heard it is better to live in halls to make friends and for the social experience. I originally wasn't going to live in halls but now it is the best option for me.
Reply 144
Hi I am applying for Northumbria, Teesside, Sunderland and Leeds what about you? I want to move away for the experience but it's just so expensive especially when I live close its all so confusing.
Original post by amyb11
Hi I am applying for Northumbria, Teesside, Sunderland and Leeds what about you? I want to move away for the experience but it's just so expensive especially when I live close its all so confusing.

It really depends on how far away you live and how social you want to be if your more than 0.5 of an hour away you will feel a bit out of it if you live at home.

Then there is also cost Train fares can mount up and you may find yourself paying up to £100 pound a week particularly if your course runs 5 days a week (some do).

Oh not to mention time tables you can get long days when you really won't want to face a commute home either that or you'll have 1 lecture then a 8 (yes 8) hour break them 1 more lecture when it is much easier to go back to your halls to study or work on assignments or just to chill out before your next lecture.

It's up to you but I'd say halls for first year at least.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 146
hey i wanna ask a stupid question , if i choose to live in halls can i invite my friend to spend night with me, i mean can i invite prepole i know to come in my room or it will be impossible
ps: what about couple ? can i live wwwith my partner if he isn't student ?
thanks
Reply 147
Ok guys so I'm looking to study pharmacy. Uni of Nottingham is number one for the course in the UK. I believe I will recieve an offer. But the problem is that I live in Nottingham, 5 minute drive from the university. Contemplating whether I should move out to a new city to get a full university experience, at the cost of going to a uni which isnt as good for my course. If I stayed in Nottingham I would stay at home, would drive and save more money, I'm worried that if I stay I won't experience University properly and may not make new friends...
Any Advice?? or Suggestions
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 148
Original post by Bless21
Ok guys so I'm looking to study pharmacy. Uni of Nottingham is number one for the course in the UK. I believe I will recieve an offer. But the problem is that I live in Nottingham, 5 minute drive from the university. Contemplating whether I should move out to a new city to get a full university experience, at the cost of going to a uni which isnt as good for my course. If I stayed in Nottingham I would stay at home, would drive and save more money, I'm worried that if I stay I won't experience University properly and may not make new friends...
Any Advice??

Honestly I'm in the exact same position to you and I have no idea what to do either. I'm also afraid that I won't make friends but I've spoken to a lot of people and they have all said near enough the same thing that you will always make friends on your course and whatever socialities you join its just is it worth the money that you would spend if you lived away from home.
[QUOTE="amyb11;51229721"]
Original post by Bless21
Any Advice??

Honestly I'm in the exact same position to you and I have no idea what to do either. I'm also afraid that I won't make friends but I've spoken to a lot of people and they have all said near enough the same thing that you will always make friends on your course and whatever socialities you join its just is it worth the money that you would spend if you lived away from home.

it's worth the money but 5 minutes wow yeah I probably stay at home if I was that close how long would a walk be
[QUOTE="amyb11;51229721"]
Original post by Bless21
Any Advice??

I'm having the same problem as you. The uni which is about a 15 minute walk from my house is one of the top for my course in the UK. I'd consider living at home for the first year and get some money behind me by saving on accommodation fees. However, i'm also worried about making friends. Going out and doing things with them wouldn't be a problem as i'm so close, but I feel like I'd be missing out slightly still..

What do I do? Risk moving away to a course that may not be as good just to live independently?
[QUOTE="ellieontoast;53303303"]
Original post by amyb11

I'm having the same problem as you. The uni which is about a 15 minute walk from my house is one of the top for my course in the UK. I'd consider living at home for the first year and get some money behind me by saving on accommodation fees. However, i'm also worried about making friends. Going out and doing things with them wouldn't be a problem as i'm so close, but I feel like I'd be missing out slightly still..

What do I do? Risk moving away to a course that may not be as good just to live independently?

It is a bit of a catch 22 on the one hand you would save a bit of money if you lived at home no doubt but there is the living out thing I mean for one thing you get more loan.

You could try and get halls at your local uni I guess.

It is no secret that students who live at home do miss out but your proximity means you won't miss out as much as someone who lives say am hour away and commutes.

As long as your parents are cool and allow you to be out as long as you want even on weekdays (you don't want to miss Wednesday nights) make sure your out on the first Sunday most people make at least 1 friend then) just follow the herd of students and people in t shirts claiming to be a sisu angel or whatever join sports clubs society's and talk to everyone and enjoy it it's great fun

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi, it looks certain that imperial will be my firm and I live about an hour away.
I had always thought that I would be staying home (hence I've never looked into halls) but I'm now considering moving out for the 1st year.

Could someone give me pros and cons of living in student halls, especially regarding living with others.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Reacher65
Hi, it looks certain that imperial will be my firm and I live about an hour away.
I had always thought that I would be staying home (hence I've never looked into halls) but I'm now considering moving out for the 1st year.

Could someone give me pros and cons of living in student halls, especially regarding living with others.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'll help as much as I can these are for living in halls.

Pros:
1) You have a ready made group to hang out with those first few weeks.
2) You become your own man and learn to live.
3) It's much easier to find house mates for second year.
4) you have a place close by if you have one of those oh so long 10 hour breaks.
5) you have a place close by if you have a long 12 hour day
6) Random unplanned nights out happen.
7) Computer game tournaments happen.
8) Just something I can't quite put my finger on a feeling.
9)The time you would spend Travelling can be spent studying.
10)The time you would spend Travelling can be spent sleeping.

Cons:
1) Homesickness will happen (you will get over it).
2) You may be kept up a couple of nights.
3) No one to take care of you if you get sick but an hour away you could probably go home if you do.
4)Sometimes you will be alienated by the people in halls it's not common but it does happen to some people:frown:
5) Food might disappear.

Hope that helps
Original post by jonathanemptage
I'll help as much as I can these are for living in halls.

Pros:
1) You have a ready made group to hang out with those first few weeks.
2) You become your own man and learn to live.
3) It's much easier to find house mates for second year.
4) you have a place close by if you have one of those oh so long 10 hour breaks.
5) you have a place close by if you have a long 12 hour day
6) Random unplanned nights out happen.
7) Computer game tournaments happen.
8) Just something I can't quite put my finger on a feeling.
9)The time you would spend Travelling can be spent studying.
10)The time you would spend Travelling can be spent sleeping.

Cons:
1) Homesickness will happen (you will get over it).
2) You may be kept up a couple of nights.
3) No one to take care of you if you get sick but an hour away you could probably go home if you do.
4)Sometimes you will be alienated by the people in halls it's not common but it does happen to some people:frown:
5) Food might disappear.

Hope that helps

Thanks. That does help.
A few more questions though.
1) Do the students share a fridge and cupboards?
2) How loud can student halls get? I thought must people went out
3) What are the reasons students are alienated?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Reacher65
Thanks. That does help.
A few more questions though.
1) Do the students share a fridge and cupboards?
2) How loud can student halls get? I thought must people went out
3) What are the reasons students are alienated?

Posted from TSR Mobile

1)You'll have your own cupboards with a padlock so thats yours the fridge is shared but you'll have your own shelf

2)Most people do go out it's at night drunk people can be a little loud also the walls are paper thin but after freshers week it should only happen 1 or 2 times people are pretty good and tend to grow up quite quickly at uni.

3)I'm not really sure I was a little upset when my parents met I came in to my kitchen the next day feeling much better and saw t of the girls from my hall so I said are you guys doing anything to night trying to get a group together for a Freshers Monday knighted with out a word of a lie they said maybe it's better if you hung out with your brothers friends:angry:. The only one who was really nice was a girl called Lana (If i remember correctly) I gues the blokes were ok but I was never really included in anything.

As it was I did hang out with My brothers friends my course mates and the snowboards and later on the climbing club and ransomers so things worked out ok in the end.
I personally think that halls are part of the whole 'uni experience' but it's also really scary. Living at home is always nice because you always have someone to come home to and to talk about your day with. Honestly, I don't think theres a wrong choice here. I lived my first year in halls and although I got along with my roommate well it was a relief to move out and live on my own too. I live in Pure Hammersmith, you should check it out. Maybe not as great as living at home, but it's definitely nice to have your own space.
Original post by Origami Bullets

Finally, at my own university (and I have no reason to believe that this isn't something that isn't replicated at other unis), the group that is most likely to drop out of university is those that are living at home, which is food for thought.

Interesting view. But I would guess that most people living at home tend to have a bigger reason than 'saving money' so if they drop out, it may be more due to the stress academically and from family/personal issues?

My thoughts on living at home:
I had some personal reasons for staying at home but I don't regret that decision whatsoever even though sometimes I do wonder what it would be like...

As a finalist living at home for three years of my undergraduate course, it was a bit annoying having like 3 close friends by the end of first year but these are the same people I know I will stay friends with for life. Many others keep saying how they get into huge arguments - which they would never have though of - with their 'first year best friends' once they've moved in together to flat/house share or they just never see their 'first year best friends' again because they don't live together, don't go to the same compulsory classes and don't share the same interests to attend the same optional module classes.

I have to say the main thing is how I've managed to save enough money over the past three years to fund myself through a master's living away from home. Your parents notice how much more independent you've become as well when you've stayed at home and endured more arguments with them than ever. Haha.

Finally, if anyone feels torn about making their decision feel free to PM me or quote me :smile:
Original post by Crystalclearmagic
Interesting view. But I would guess that most people living at home tend to have a bigger reason than 'saving money' so if they drop out, it may be more due to the stress academically and from family/personal issues?

I suspect it's because many of them don't feel a part of the university - they're often commuting significant distances, and so they have to get home at a certain time and miss out on evening activities (which can remove the chance to get involved with things like societies). They also miss out on living in halls and so miss out on missing friends that way.
Original post by Origami Bullets
I suspect it's because many of them don't feel a part of the university - they're often commuting significant distances, and so they have to get home at a certain time and miss out on evening activities (which can remove the chance to get involved with things like societies). They also miss out on living in halls and so miss out on missing friends that way.

At the end of the day uni is what you make of it. Like this whole 'university experience' in my mind seems like a crazy generalisation now that I've been through it. The standard concept of a poor student, wasting money on alcohol and then having to live off bread for the next month until the student loan is not necessarily true; neither is the fact that everyone goes out every night to get smashed... Of course, there are those who do. And those who don't. But the general view is that everyone does, and it's bad to not live the 'experience'? Personally, I've had a fab time at uni without fitting this picture; more importantly, I like my liver :wink: Haha, joking

But I know someone who lives at home and is President this year of a sports society so it's all possible. She does biochem too, so she has quite a few contact hours during the week and has managed.

Latest

Trending

Trending