The Student Room Group

changing to maths SL? (should I?)

so here's the issue
I am a scholar and i'm only allowed to apply from the top 50 social science according to times higher ed
my course is accounting and finance, and there is only 8 university in UK falls under that category
UCL, oxbridge and imperial is out of the list since they dont offer accounting and finance
my friends from the other school told me tht their seniors didnt get their offer, due to getting 4 at maths HL

im planning to apply to LSE, warwick, manchester and edinburgh
my maths HL, so far i get 40% for sem 1 and 42% for sem 2.. (borderline , u see)
the min requirement if i were to took HL is 5.. and SL is 7
I'm afraid i might not achieve tht, thus resulting in me not being able to go study abroad.
And recently ive gotten english SL 7, which convinced me to do english HL.. most of my friends who did english HL get 5 or 6
My overall pts is 33 for sem 1, and 34 for sem 2
I know tht LSE really likes high grades, and im afraid i might not be high enough for them..
on the other hand, warwick wants us to take maths HL.. at least 5
ive tried my best during sem 2 despite of the busi-ness of doing IB with theatre and music club and stuff (ok maybe not the best, because my time management sucks eventhough i dont procrastinate)
what do u think?
my aim right now is just to further my studies abroad only.. please help
do you think i have the chance to get Maths SL 7? or continue with maths HL with at least 5?
I know people would say oh you know your own capabilities, but really i need you guys awesome IB students opinion on making this decision
kind of frustrated with my grades in maths HL.. i used to love maths so much.. and believe that effort = good results.. IB makes me hate maths because of my low grades my sleeping patterns to was affected.. or is there any way people would help me to improve my grade in maths HL? how do u study?

Econs HL
Business HL
Maths HL
English B SL
Malay A1 SL
Bio SL
Reply 1
You really are not that far of a 5 for HL Maths. The grade boundaries are actually pretty low with this year being 65% for a 6.
I have just finished the IB and about 4 weeks before the exams I was still only getting about 30% on papers but ended up with a 5 just by doing papers over and over in the 4 weeks before the exam. I would stick with it, there is a lot less room for error if you drop to SL and it isn't that much easier.
Original post by gravesy
You really are not that far of a 5 for HL Maths. The grade boundaries are actually pretty low with this year being 65% for a 6.
I have just finished the IB and about 4 weeks before the exams I was still only getting about 30% on papers but ended up with a 5 just by doing papers over and over in the 4 weeks before the exam. I would stick with it, there is a lot less room for error if you drop to SL and it isn't that much easier.

thanks for the advice! im glad i stick with maths HL! altho im 3% away from a 6 (makes me sad!) but HEY I DID NOT EVEN EXPECT A 5 (cause i think i did terribly/carelessly in all papers :frown:) shouldve believed in myself more :O

there is not much difference between my overall grades and those kids doing maths SL :biggrin:

dont like my teacher though, keep discouraging us and telling us we'll never get a good grade for maths hl :frown:
(edited 9 years ago)
Just keep at it! The trick with Maths HL is practise practise practise. Going to the lessons isn't good enough, need to get as many practise papers as possible and work super hard! 7s are impossible (almost!) but a 6 is definitely in your reach - especially because of the low grade boundries. Good luck!!!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending