The Student Room Group

TSR Christian Society (X-SOC) Episode IV: A New Hope

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by Feefifofum
What kind of church are you after? I had friends at St Ebbes and St Aldates which are both young and vibrant but not necessarily what you're looking for...

Thanks for all the responses! My ideal-world church would:

- Be in a liberal anglo-catholic tradition both in terms of worship style and teachings
- Have a strong social element, especially out of term time
- Be attended by people of all ages
Regarding CUs, I had a very interesting conversation with someone who used to be heavily involved in CU stuff here. It seems like a lot of the things people are unhappy with are actually things forced on CUs by the UCCF (the main body which gives out funding and resources to CUs). Apparently people have tried to raise the issue of the name 'Christian Union' with them before, and they were told that it was non-negotiable and any change of name would result in UCCF cutting off all their funding and disassociating themselves from the group in question (there was also some mention of UCCF renaming certain things as 'The True Christian Union'). The UCCF also requires all its CUs to have absolutely nothing to do with any chaplaincy groups in order to maintain their position as an non-denominational group. It's still all terrible in my opinion, but it's interesting to know that it comes from the central organisation, rather than it being something individual people in university CUs have decided.
Reply 182
Original post by OurSeaBee
Apparently not!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Despite being the second-largest denomination... I suppose it's because most Orthodox peeps live in eastern Europe/the Middle East/Russia etc. :console:
Original post by Mazzini
Despite being the second-largest denomination... I suppose it's because most Orthodox peeps live in eastern Europe/the Middle East/Russia etc. :console:

The second largest and, of course, the best. :P

Bearing in mind that we consider ourselves to be the one holy, catholic and apostolic Church, we're not really 'out there' at all, I suppose. Orthodoxy just doesn't seem to have entered people's consciousness. I doubt that many Sunday schools or Children's groups would have anybody knowledgeable enough to give even a basic introduction, and so what little people do 'know' about the Church is often just plain wrong. And, of course, it's foreign!
Less than 24 hours and I'm in the plane back to the UK. Prayers please.

Also, what the heck does one do in Manchester on a Sunday for 5 hours? :nothing:
Original post by FinnLassie
Less than 24 hours and I'm in the plane back to the UK. Prayers please.

Also, what the heck does one do in Manchester on a Sunday for 5 hours? :nothing:

Of course lovely. :hugs:

Why are you going to Manchester? :ninja:
Reply 186
Original post by IMakeSenseToNone
I think it must be unoffical then as there's no reference on the site, hopefully they'll do a thing on Fresher's week to explain what's available as I could see myself getting along quite nicely in a Catholic society :yep: Many thanks.

Here you go :awesome:
http://www.muscc.org/

:awesome: It's so shiny.

AND THERE'S FREE FOOD *dies*. That is genuinely the best thing i've heard all week, many thanks!

... OHMYGOODNESSTHERE'SEVENAHILLWALKERSSOCIETY... AND ORGANISED STUDY NIGHTS. I've died and gone to heaven :yep:
Original post by AtomicTheory
Regarding CUs, I had a very interesting conversation with someone who used to be heavily involved in CU stuff here. It seems like a lot of the things people are unhappy with are actually things forced on CUs by the UCCF (the main body which gives out funding and resources to CUs). Apparently people have tried to raise the issue of the name 'Christian Union' with them before, and they were told that it was non-negotiable and any change of name would result in UCCF cutting off all their funding and disassociating themselves from the group in question (there was also some mention of UCCF renaming certain things as 'The True Christian Union'). The UCCF also requires all its CUs to have absolutely nothing to do with any chaplaincy groups in order to maintain their position as an non-denominational group. It's still all terrible in my opinion, but it's interesting to know that it comes from the central organisation, rather than it being something individual people in university CUs have decided.

Blimey.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 189
:awesome: It's so shiny.

AND THERE'S FREE FOOD *dies*. That is genuinely the best thing i've heard all week, many thanks!

... OHMYGOODNESSTHERE'SEVENAHILLWALKERSSOCIETY... AND ORGANISED STUDY NIGHTS. I've died and gone to heaven :yep:

Glad I could help :awesome:

Also, I spotted that there was an interfaith position on the committee, which bodes well for a non-Catholic just joining in because it's the best that there is :yep:
Original post by Aula
Glad I could help :awesome:

Also, I spotted that there was an interfaith position on the committee, which bodes well for a non-Catholic just joining in because it's the best that there is :yep:

There is no way i'm going to get any studying done at this rate ;__; Just had to go and choose a 35hr a week course.
Reply 191
There is no way i'm going to get any studying done at this rate ;__; Just had to go and choose a 35hr a week course.

Heh, I'm sure you'll manage to get some done. You can even go use their library :awesome:

(There's a little bit of me wishing I could start uni again and go to Manchester...)

(But totally not really, because I adored Cathsoc in Durham :yep:)
Original post by Aula
Heh, I'm sure you'll manage to get some done. You can even go use their library :awesome:

(There's a little bit of me wishing I could start uni again and go to Manchester...)

(But totally not really, because I adored Cathsoc in Durham :yep:)

I can fit it all in, i'll just sleep during lectures :yep: Nothing can go wrong with that plan.

I really want to go to Durham just to see the Cathedral, 'looks fantabulous.
Reply 193
I can fit it all in, i'll just sleep during lectures :yep: Nothing can go wrong with that plan.

I really want to go to Durham just to see the Cathedral, 'looks fantabulous.

Doitdoitdoti!
Durham is so beautiful :daydreaming:
Original post by Aula
Doitdoitdoti!
Durham is so beautiful :daydreaming:

I've already been to Chester this week so we might as well up the history even more :biggrin: If you do ever get to go, the Chester Walls are a beaut of a walk complete with Cathedral and every resturant a human will ever desire <3
Reply 195
I've already been to Chester this week so we might as well up the history even more :biggrin: If you do ever get to go, the Chester Walls are a beaut of a walk complete with Cathedral and every resturant a human will ever desire <3

I've not been to Chester :holmes:

I would like to travel around the UK a bit more, but unfortunately these things cost money :sigh:
Original post by tasha96
Of course lovely. :hugs:

Why are you going to Manchester? :ninja:

Flight goes to Manchester, was cheaper. I have about 7 hours before my train leaves to Glasgow so I'll be storing my luggage for 5 hours. =)

:hugs:
Sorry I went AWOL again. ****'s going down this end, plus it's been Wagnerfest, and so Internet time has been sporadic at best. Hope everyone is OK. Praying for all intentions :yes:
Reply 198
Hello everyone. Apologies for not posting for a while, I hope everyone is well on this Sunday morning :smile:
Original post by Alice_95
Hello everyone. Apologies for not posting for a while, I hope everyone is well on this Sunday morning :smile:

:hi: Good to hear from you hun! Hope things are OK your end? :hugs:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending