The Student Room Group

TSR Christian Society (X-SOC) Episode IV: A New Hope

Scroll to see replies

In case anyone is interested I'm challenging myself to read the bible in a year and am going to be doing a blog about it. Link is: http://threesixfivebible.blogspot.co.uk/ and is also in my signature :blushing:
Original post by Mollymod

Ah, yeah agreed. I'd quite like to work in a laboratory for Novartis or GlaxoSmithKline or another pharmaceutical company. Eventually, I'd like to write articles for the Biological Sciences review, or other publications that don't require a complicated scientific writing style. For me, the best articles are the ones you understand in simple English :biggrin:

Oh dear, well at least you should be done earlier in the day :smile: I'll be commuting in second year, so I guess it's good that you get used to the early starts . Should stop you getting lazy! :tongue:

I wanted to do Pharmacy for a while but alas OCR Nationals wouldn't have gotten me in :colondollar: Also I would probably fail my course through constantly spelling 'pharmaceutical' wrong. Don't think I could work in pharmaceuticaldevelopment though, seems likea lot of trail and error and so a lot of stress.

Hopefully although i'd rather get up late and stay late, that way if there's any socs on I don't have to go home and then come back or just try to kill a bunch of hours. Plus no rush hour traffic to give me a nervous breakdown.

Oh believe me my friend, nothing shall stop me from being lazy :tongue:
Original post by greeneyedgirl
In case anyone is interested I'm challenging myself to read the bible in a year and am going to be doing a blog about it. Link is: http://threesixfivebible.blogspot.co.uk/ and is also in my signature :blushing:

Oooh! Best of luck and praying for you hun. I'd love to give something like this a go one day :yes: Look forward to hearing how you progress! :hugs:
Original post by IMakeSenseToNone
I wanted to do Pharmacy for a while but alas OCR Nationals wouldn't have gotten me in :colondollar: Also I would probably fail my course through constantly spelling 'pharmaceutical' wrong. Don't think I could work in pharmaceuticaldevelopment though, seems likea lot of trail and error and so a lot of stress.

Hopefully although i'd rather get up late and stay late, that way if there's any socs on I don't have to go home and then come back or just try to kill a bunch of hours. Plus no rush hour traffic to give me a nervous breakdown.

Oh believe me my friend, nothing shall stop me from being lazy :tongue:

Yeah, it's interesting, but persistence is really key. And yeah, quite dangerous with all the trials, but it's a necessary sector, but there's no shortage of interested people, so it's fine :P Nursing is pretty stressful too! It's all about how you take it I guess and what kinds of pressure you cope better with :smile: Yeah you raise a good point about having lie ins. Hopefully your timetable will change later in the year, or you will get so used to how it is now that you won't be bothered!

Haha I once said laziness is a virtue :tongue: It certainly feels like that sometimes
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Oooh! Best of luck and praying for you hun. I'd love to give something like this a go one day :yes: Look forward to hearing how you progress! :hugs:

Thanks darling :hugs:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm loving the events that the Reading CU are running. We have our freshers week timetable for the CU events and it looks awesome. Can't wait to meet the people there.
Original post by James A
I'm loving the events that the Reading CU are running. We have our freshers week timetable for the CU events and it looks awesome. Can't wait to meet the people there.

That's great to hear

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow, blogging the whole thing is somewhat of a commitment :biggrin:

When are you starting? I'm tempted to join you
Original post by fluteflute
Wow, blogging the whole thing is somewhat of a commitment :biggrin:

When are you starting? I'm tempted to join you

Starting tomorrow :smile: the only way I see things through is by having other people know so I worry about letting them down :tongue: you should join in!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Starting tomorrow :smile: the only way I see things through is by having other people know so I worry about letting them down :tongue: you should join in!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I definitely think doing it with someone has benefits... I'm in then :biggrin:

Edit: I assume the plan is to start at January 1st, not September 11th? ;p
I definitely think doing it with someone has benefits... I'm in then :biggrin:

Edit: I assume the plan is to start at January 1st, not September 11th? ;p

Indeed it is :yep: Yay we can do it together :ahee: that is exciting! Are you coming to the meet? Because if so we could actually do at least one together together =D
Indeed it is :yep: Yay we can do it together :ahee: that is exciting! Are you coming to the meet? Because if so we could actually do at least one together together =D

Anyone else want to join in? :party:

I am :biggrin: This did occur to me too...
I am :biggrin: This did occur to me too...

Anyone else want to join?

:five: Now I'm excited for the meet (mod's meet in case any of you were thinking it was some X-soc meet...if only)

Everyone should join us in doing it though!
So sorry to hear about your mum but so great that everything's looking up. I've done some classes on speech therapy before and it's amazing just how much speech can suffer post stroke, but also how much we are able to gain it back :yep:
Yeah, and the speech at which it can come back to the individual is amazing. But yeah, it was a moderate stroke and basically ruined her speech totally, just over a week later and it doesn't sound like anything happened, just a little bit slow with understanding and speech but its barely noticeable.
Original post by Mollymod
Yeah, and the speech at which it can come back to the individual is amazing. But yeah, it was a moderate stroke and basically ruined her speech totally, just over a week later and it doesn't sound like anything happened, just a little bit slow with understanding and speech but its barely noticeable.

God really outdid Himself creating humanity :yep:
Reply 795
Durham finally contacted me! Two months after results day is about time I should think! :mad: In the end they didn't give me the college I wanted so was initially gutted... But have been looking into the one they gave me and it looks really nice; it's small which is what I wanted, and apparently very friendly so feeling happier now :smile:

Original post by Aula
X

Hi chum :h: if you remember anything about Trevs I would be the most grateful person ever! :biggrin: I've never been there but thought you might have some experience of it having been at another Hill College yourself..

Not moving in myself until the 29th but praying for everyone who has an early start! Good luck! :awesome:
Reply 796
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Praying that you find one that is the right fit :yep:

Thanking you! God willing, I'll fit in just fine...
Original post by IMakeSenseToNone

Charismatic should be easy to find :yep: The CUs are normally more evangellical so there should be people thre who know where the good ones are.

I've heard that many CUs are generally Church of England... which is fine, but it's a bit too quiet and, dare I say it, English for my liking. I like to shout, dance and have hugely charismatic pastors quoting fantastic verses to rapturous applause.
Question! Does anyone here by any chance knit? The KnitSoc at Uni looks rather wonderful and I quite fancy it but it's been an age since I did it :colondollar:
Original post by navarre

I've heard that many CUs are generally Church of England... which is fine, but it's a bit too quiet and, dare I say it, English for my liking. I like to shout, dance and have hugely charismatic pastors quoting fantastic verses to rapturous applause.

Ha, see i'm the exact opposite, I like the quietness of a Quaker service or the subdued nature of high Anglican :lol: When people stand up to speak I feel sort of awkward. Although atleast at my uni there's a few groups which specifically portray themselves as charismatics so hopefully yours will too.
Reply 798
Original post by Diety
Durham finally contacted me! Two months after results day is about time I should think! :mad: In the end they didn't give me the college I wanted so was initially gutted... But have been looking into the one they gave me and it looks really nice; it's small which is what I wanted, and apparently very friendly so feeling happier now :smile:

Hi chum :h: if you remember anything about Trevs I would be the most grateful person ever! :biggrin: I've never been there but thought you might have some experience of it having been at another Hill College yourself..

Not moving in myself until the 29th but praying for everyone who has an early start! Good luck! :awesome:

Everyone I know who went to trevs loved it :yep:
It's hexagonal and loves the daffodils...
It also has a pretty cool bar - probably my favourite hill bar. It's probably the most formal of the hill colleges - Mary's is the only other contender, I'd say. It has gowns, wears them for formals etc. no idea about the cu there though.
Take a look in the Durham subforum - there'll be plenty of posts/threads in there about Trevs. (you may well have done this already... It's been a while since I've lurked in there :sigh:)

You'll have a great time :yep:
Reply 799
Original post by navarre
Thanking you! God willing, I'll fit in just fine...

CUs tend to be fairly evangelical. I can't speak for elsewhere, but I know that at Durham CofE people didn't get on so well with the university CU - we had a couple of Anglicans who tended to come along to Cathsoc stuff. Definitely go along and see what things are like, if nothing else, they may be able to point you in the right direction (although I would advise that you be careful, as I have heard some horror stories from Durham of people who joined and then tried to leave).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending