The Student Room Group

Access course : entry assessment: how is it?

Hi!!

Next year I'm going to study at a Access course Science in London to achieve the entry requirements to get into uni.
The admission staff told me that there is an entry assessment test before the course about maths and english (grammar, punctuation...).
<is there anyone that have took the test before?
How is it?
What maths exercise could ask me? Algebra, probabilities, integers...?

Thanks!!!

Evelline:colondollar:
Original post by Evellinej
Hi!!

Next year I'm going to study at a Access course Science in London to achieve the entry requirements to get into uni.
The admission staff told me that there is an entry assessment test before the course about maths and english (grammar, punctuation...).
<is there anyone that have took the test before?
How is it?
What maths exercise could ask me? Algebra, probabilities, integers...?

Thanks!!!

Evelline:colondollar:

Hi, the test used by universities and college's varies greatly. In fact, some don't use any. Mine was very simple, easy stuff, level 1-2 kind of stuff. There's nothing for you worry about. Everyone on here will assure you.
The college just want to know that you are at GCSE level. For my college, we did a multiple choice exam on a computer. Most of the questions were basic numeracy or basic reading comprehension; nothing to worry about.
Reply 3
Thank you!!
I'm a little worried about that because I am italian and I'm 24 years old. My school experience is very far, 6 years ago...so I forgot some maths problems. I was thinking that the test was about difficult calculus of geometry, trigonometry...
It's a good news that it's not so difficult. :redface:
I'm thinking to apply to Ealing and Hammersmith college for the access course for biomedical sciences. Do you know anything about it? Is it a good place to prepare for uni?
Reply 4
When I went for my Access to HE entry assessment, it consisted of a horseshoe group of tables, a simple enough exercise and some paper. I remember the English part, which seemed to consist of the teacher taking a very quick look at my page and a half and saying yes. I do not believe he read one word. The maths part was so easy, I do not remember it at all!

The purpose of the test is to confirm that you can read and write, not that you dabble in rocket science. You post shows that you are probably at the required standard, however they quickly identify those who may need help, so as to offer further help and training.

I really would not worry about it.

Good Luck!
Reply 5
Thanks!
To know that for you was so easy makes me feel better. I was so worried about it!

ByeBye:biggrin:
The access assessment is not too bad, i have recently been accepted onto the access science pathway to adult nursing. Now i am starting to get jitters lol, i noticed your post and thought i would comment as i have just been on the distance learning centre site and they have the access biomedical science and it is much less than at colleges and uni, i am very torn now as mine is all set up but has cost me £2k more xx
Reply 7
The assessment wasn't bad. It was just some multiple choice questions on a computer and then we had to write an essay on why we wanted to go on the course. I got a level 2 in English and a level 1 in maths. The entry criteria was a level 2 in maths and english, but as I have a C in maths GCSE they must have overlooked the assessment as I was offered a place on the course 2 days after the assessment and interview!

I really wouldn't worry about it at all!
Original post by Evellinej
Thank you!!
I'm a little worried about that because I am italian and I'm 24 years old. My school experience is very far, 6 years ago...so I forgot some maths problems. I was thinking that the test was about difficult calculus of geometry, trigonometry...
It's a good news that it's not so difficult. :redface:
I'm thinking to apply to Ealing and Hammersmith college for the access course for biomedical sciences. Do you know anything about it? Is it a good place to prepare for uni?

Heyya :smile: Im actually considering applying for biomedical science aswell but I'm so worried about the test. How was it?
Reply 9
Original post by Jennienarwin
Heyya :smile: Im actually considering applying for biomedical science aswell but I'm so worried about the test. How was it?

Hey, sorry but I didn't take the test yet.. I'm going to apply for 2014 entry =)

There's no need to worry. It really is very simple.
Original post by Oldiebutgoodie
There's no need to worry. It really is very simple.

Thanks that's a relief. Is it just basic English and maths?As in I don't need to revise anything?
Thanks that's a relief. Is it just basic English and maths?As in I don't need to revise anything?

Yep, no revision required. It's just to see if you can manage the level 2 stuff. Real basic :smile:
i'm also worried for the assessmente next year.
i'm new in uk
Now I'm doing eng L2, because i've already done mechanic engineering in Italy (secondary school) and I want finisch here
But my worry is: how is the assessment for mechanic engieering?

thank you all!
and sorry for the error grammatics
My 'assessment' consisted of a 1 minute interview. It was much harder to get on the gcse course!
Assessment is easy-peasy, if it's anything like mine. I had to do some written pieces - I'm into writing anyway (now Lit undergrad), so I went for poetic effect not just simple lucidity! However, other people who "made the cut" (so to speak) weren't too hot on a lot of the core skills, so that suggests to me that the standard isn't too high.

See if you can get hold of someone at the college who can reassure you if this thread hasn't already done so. Access course itself can be challenging, but seriously, the assessment process is no biggie.
Screenshot_2015-12-03-23-04-34.png
Sorry for the screen shot

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending