The Student Room Group

Midwifery as an adult

Not sure if I'm mad really but...I'm 30 years old, work full time and a single mum to an 8 year old, but have been accepted on an Access to HE (midwifery) course. I'm doing it with Learning Curve Group. The course is due to end next March, so I have a year to complete it. Now, my question is, when do I start applying for Universities? As an adult who has never been to university I don't really understand the deadlines ETC, I know Midwifery is a very over subscribed course, so just need to be on my A game with dates etc, obviously this will also mean I will have to leave my job, so there is a lot at stake here.

Anybody in a similar position in any of the above?!
Hey PinkLemonade94

I'm a 30s something career changer. I know its a daunting decision to make but there's loads of support along the way.

When to apply to university? If your studying until March 2025, the next main intake is around September 2025, so you should start your application journey after the autumn of 2024. You'll need update to date entry information and course details these usually become easier to find after October time.

As a mature student you usually apply direct to the university. When making your decision you will want to make sure that the programme you've applied for meets your needs. Nursing and Midwifery courses can vary alot, but there is a mandatory element of attendance at placement and for academic study. I have no doubt that you'll make a brilliant midwife. You should look at your student finance options, and the NHS Learning Support Fund as these are two options to help with maintence. The student finance calculator on the gov website is also a great place to start.

When you start your first year you'll be introduced to the modules you take, and the structure of the course you'll be doing. The assessment element of the course always leaves me feeling anxious too. Don't worry you'll be informed well in advance of what format your assessments take, when they are due, and what they are.

When your completing your Access to HE course you'll be practicing the same essential study skills you need for any degree programme. Being organised, and sticking to a study schedule will make managing deadlines a breeze.
Original post by Davenursing
Hey PinkLemonade94
I'm a 30s something career changer. I know its a daunting decision to make but there's loads of support along the way.
When to apply to university? If your studying until March 2025, the next main intake is around September 2025, so you should start your application journey after the autumn of 2024. You'll need update to date entry information and course details these usually become easier to find after October time.
As a mature student you usually apply direct to the university. When making your decision you will want to make sure that the programme you've applied for meets your needs. Nursing and Midwifery courses can vary alot, but there is a mandatory element of attendance at placement and for academic study. I have no doubt that you'll make a brilliant midwife. You should look at your student finance options, and the NHS Learning Support Fund as these are two options to help with maintence. The student finance calculator on the gov website is also a great place to start.
When you start your first year you'll be introduced to the modules you take, and the structure of the course you'll be doing. The assessment element of the course always leaves me feeling anxious too. Don't worry you'll be informed well in advance of what format your assessments take, when they are due, and what they are.
When your completing your Access to HE course you'll be practicing the same essential study skills you need for any degree programme. Being organised, and sticking to a study schedule will make managing deadlines a breeze.

Firstly thank you for taking the time to reply.

More so, thank you for such a thorough reply! That has helped so much!

How have you found being a 30 something career changer?!
I think I have found my calling. I'm studying at LSBU in London. Where you choose to study is really important - its more than just going on a course - its a whole life changing experience.

There's quite a few people my age on the course, which helps give me confidence. If they can do it, I can do it, and you can do it too.
Original post by Davenursing
As a mature student you usually apply direct to the university.

That's not true. Full time undergraduate applications have to go through UCAS.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending