The Student Room Group

Preparing for A levels

Hey, I'm starting A levels in September and I want to get a head start, mainly because I pretty much screwed up my GCSEs by not doing any work and because a lot of my friends who are older than me have said that A levels are pretty overwhelming and I don't want to be thrown in at the deep end. What do you recommend I do over the summer to help me get that head start? Also, what books/revision guides do you recommend I get? I'm doing Chemistry (AQA), Physics (AQA), Maths (Edexcel) and German (AQA). Thanks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by shanimaia
mainly because I pretty much screwed up my GCSEs by not doing any work

Well dont do this.

What do you recommend I do over the summer to help me get that head start? Also, what books/revision guides do you recommend I get? I'm doing Chemistry (AQA), Physics (AQA), Maths (Edexcel) and German (AQA).

Well here's an important one

-Look at the specification and the things you are going to learn.

Using the spec, see what is prerequisite knowledge. So for example, for german, you may want to revise your grammar, some key words etc (especially if a topic crops up in both gcse and A level)

To be honest, because you say you have screwed up GCSEs, I would recommend you actually do your GCSE revision properly. Yes, make sure the GCSE stuff is in your brain.

It would not be beneficial for you to get a headstart in A level materials IMO. You can only build on strong foundations
(edited 10 years ago)
Hey, I'm starting A levels in September and I want to get a head start, mainly because I pretty much screwed up my GCSEs by not doing any work and because a lot of my friends who are older than me have said that A levels are pretty overwhelming and I don't want to be thrown in at the deep end. What do you recommend I do over the summer to help me get that head start? Also, what books/revision guides do you recommend I get? I'm doing Chemistry (AQA), Physics (AQA), Maths (Edexcel) and German (AQA). Thanks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey! I kind of screwed up my gcses aswell, but dont worry if you think you've got the grades to do your chosen A levels.

For maths, i will be doing edexcel. I have these books (below) and i would recommend you to get them.
However, you should also call up your sixth form/college to ask what student books they use for your subjects.
If they use the books below, then make yourself familiar with the books as much as possible over the summer.

www.amazon.com/Edexcel-Level-Modular-Mathematics-Core/dp/0435519107/ref=sr_1_fkmr2_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1375017254&sr=8-1-fkmr2&keywords=edexcel+as+level+maths+c1

www.amazon.com/Edexcel-Level-Modular-Mathematics-Core/dp/0435519115/ref=pd_sim_b_1

The other book you will need is either statistics 1 or mechanics 1 - your sixth form will decide for you or you will decide yourself

I also use this website... www.examsolutions.net
It has video tutorials on every topic and exam past paper question
Reply 3

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hello! :biggrin:

I did AQA Chemistry and Edexcel Maths. Oh and I didn't do great in my GCSEs either but don't worry about it, A-levels are the most important thing :yep:

For Chemistry I had this for Chem 1 and this for Chem 2 which I found really helpful, went into a lot of detail and covered the spec perfectly :yep: I had the CGP revision guide which was very helpful in explaining things in an easier way than the unit books :yep: I also have some notes as well that would be helpful for when you start if you'd like me to send you them too :yep:

For Maths I recommend the textbooks from the above poster. In terms of revision for Maths, work your way through the textbooks, doing the exercises and all that, and use the exam solutions website mentioned above when you get stuck or for some additional support. Once you have, the best way to get top grades is to do AS MANY PAST PAPERS AS POSSIBLE. You might do terribly on the first one but at least that way you'll know to do more revision. Then do another one, mark it, see where you went wrong and repeat and you'll see the marks go up :yep: This is the same for all your A-level subjects, do as many past papers as you can, it's the only way to get top grades :yep:

I hope this has been helpful, if there's any other questions you have feel free to ask! Good luck! :awesome:
Reply 4
Get revision guides.

Start revising minimum 3 months in advance, slowly building up intensity.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending