The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by maneaterlyylohh
What do you do as a dentalnurse coz I don't wanna do something whereby it will be hard for me to get a job

Assiting dentist with patients, handling notes, preparing Instruments. Its an easy job and people always are advertising for them but u can do dental nursing at college as well as uni x
Original post by Jenan
I hope so! :s-smilie:

Does anyone know why they defer places? Like why would they pick me (and others) to start next year and some people this year, I can't think of any reasoning behind it!

Yeah this is what im worrying about x
Reply 982
Wooohhoooo offers from both my choices....Sheffield and Huddersfield, this means I am off to Uni in September xx
Original post by marcinabolan
Assiting dentist with patients, handling notes, preparing Instruments. Its an easy job and people always are advertising for them but u can do dental nursing at college as well as uni x

Im a dental nurse too! Its a good job but not something you want to do for life. I dong know y they advised the therapy course cause u have to be a qualified dental nurse to do it....weird xxxx
Reply 984
Original post by Laura1979
Wooohhoooo offers from both my choices....Sheffield and Huddersfield, this means I am off to Uni in September ������xx

Congrats! Decisions, decisions. SHU, or evil Huddersfield? :tongue:
Original post by Elijahsmam
Im a dental nurse too! Its a good job but not something you want to do for life. I dong know y they advised the therapy course cause u have to be a qualified dental nurse to do it....weird xxxx

yeah I'm not wanting to do it for the rest of my life! And i thought that was weird cos surely you'd have needed dental experience for it? Who knows. I'm trying not to think about ucas today but its hard :frown: xx
Original post by marcinabolan
yeah I'm not wanting to do it for the rest of my life! And i thought that was weird cos surely you'd have needed dental experience for it? Who knows. I'm trying not to think about ucas today but its hard :frown: xx

Haha iv failed Already as iv been on twice already and its only 7.50AM! Haha x
Reply 987
Original post by JordanUK
Where is this for, Northumbria?

No Teesside. I'm over the moon I've been offered a place but can't help feeling a bit pissed off to seeing as it's this year I applied for
That's gonna be off the list now coz im not really a teeth kind of person so will ask them if I can do something else and hope n they will say yes
Gulp!! Northumberia are meeting today to make the decision on who got in!! Might hear on monday......I will probs hear from them before I hear from teesside.. xxx
Original post by maneaterlyylohh
That's gonna be off the list now coz im not really a teeth kind of person so will ask them if I can do something else and hope n they will say yes

What other courses did they offer u? X
Original post by Jenhan
I hope so! :s-smilie:

Does anyone know why they defer places? Like why would they pick me (and others) to start next year and some people this year, I can't think of any reasoning behind it!

I dont know y but I think its unfair because although there are 25 places this year there might only be 15 cause they secure 10 the year before.....
Reply 992
How do you know they are meeting today?
Haha iv failed Already as iv been on twice already and its only 7.50AM! Haha x

yeah me too! We will be the last ones to bloody know. At least everyone else knows even if it is a deferred place, cos I've not heard a dickie bird!!! Xx
They offered me dental hygiene and dental therapist
Reply 995
I dont know y but I think its unfair because although there are 25 places this year there might only be 15 cause they secure 10 the year before.....

they should have mentioned something at interview, like i say I'm pleased but 18 months is a longggg time to wait! :frown:
Reply 996
Original post by LiamAllen

lloyd mentioned it i think. i can't see them waiting much longer as they were only interviewing on those 3 days last week
Original post by LiamAllen

Cause llyod told us in the friday interview last week. Said we would hear the week after
Reply 998
Original post by sriaz
You could tell them at interview that you would like to be based at Sheffield Teaching hospitals, or Sheffield Children's hospital, which is part of a circuit : Thornbury, Claremont and Barnsley. Training at SHU is mostly at one, or two, hospitals. Derby students train only at the Royal Derby hospital and the same for students based at Kingsmill. Everyone else on the course can be placed at two, or more, hospitals within their circuit. I'm at Sheffield Teaching Hospitals, so university can place me at two hospitals. I'm a first year student ODP.

Are you having a laugh? The ODP course is for young, old, parents and non-parents. It's a competitive course, so the uni can pick and choose who they want. Why would they take in someone who is already limiting themselves by saying they have this issue, or that issue? It's for the wannabe student ODPs to prove to the unis they apply to that they are the right fit for that uni. No-one gets priority, and certainly not because of childcare, or difficulty to get to a placement.

I meant if successful on the course - no need to be rude! My sister got in to Uni on her own merits and her placements were given more consideration for travelling than those without kids! They want people to finish the course. Being a parent isn't something to be discriminated on.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 999
Original post by Beanie99
Are you having a laugh? The ODP course is for young, old, parents and non-parents. It's a competitive course, so the uni can pick and choose who they want. Why would they take in someone who is already limiting themselves by saying they have this issue, or that issue? It's for the wannabe student ODPs to prove to the unis they apply to that they are the right fit for that uni. No-one gets priority, and certainly not because of childcare, or difficulty to get to a placement.

To be fair, I think the poster was implying that IF accepted, he or she would get priority for a local hospital over people with no commitments, not that she would be a priority applicant! That is certainly the case on the course here at Portsmouth (after all there is no point in making things harder for people when there is no need) and was also the case at Surrey when I was interviewed there. We were told that unless we had children we were unlikely to get the local Guildford hospital but would be placed further afield.

Thank you, this is exactly what I meant :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest