The Student Room Group

Secretary General's Motion of the Week

Hi all,

This is another initiative which I wish to start. The aim of this is as follows. During the week, members will post motions which they wish to discuss, for example:

This House believes that nuclear weapons have no place in a future world of peace

On the Monday of each week, I shall select one motion and we will then have a four day debate and three day vote on the motion. The results will then be announced on the next Monday and then a new motion will be put up for debate. Please post any motions below.

If you have any questions, just ask,

toronto353 :smile:

Please post all motions for debate below. The first debate will begin on Monday 5th August.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
This house believes that 'Resolution 2013/05 - A Proposal to Reform the Security Council Elections' be resinded with immediate effect.
Reply 2
Two Non-Permanent positions shall be created for a term of 3 months and the current ones for a term of 3 months elected 6 weeks in Group A
Reply 3
Original post by cl_steele
This house believes that 'Resolution 2013/05 - A Proposal to Reform the Security Council Elections' be resinded with immediate effect.

Or Amend it by deleting the thing and reword to incorporate my earlier post
This house believes that LGBT Rights need to be made commonplace in nations of the MUN without delay.
Reply 5
Original post by Morgsie
Or Amend it by deleting the thing and reword to incorporate my earlier post

That works to :tongue:
Original post by PierceBrosnan
This house believes that LGBT Rights need to be made commonplace in nations of the MUN without delay.

Russia firmly objects...
Reply 6
Is it right to start them with 'this house'? Not sure if this was done previously since I can't find the rep list, but:

Motion to revoke North Korea's membership of the UN.
Reply 7
Original post by miser
Is it right to start them with 'this house'? Not sure if this was done previously since I can't find the rep list, but:

It's up to you really. Whatever you feel comfortable with. :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by miser

Wouldnt that just makeit harder to debate should the MuN ever need a rep for the DPRK? similarto when we needed a Syrian rep... it makesit hard to debate and use hypesif nations are simplyremovedfor no good reason...
Reply 9
Wouldnt that just makeit harder to debate should the MuN ever need a rep for the DPRK? similarto when we needed a Syrian rep... it makesit hard to debate and use hypesif nations are simplyremovedfor no good reason...

From what I understood, these motions were for in-character debates, rather than to actually affect the MUN constitution (which would usually be debated out-of-character).
Reply 10

Original post by miser
From what I understood, these motions were for in-character debates, rather than to actually affect the MUN constitution (which would usually be debated out-of-character).

Correct. These are in character debates and not something which will affect the MUN Constitution (unless as a result of the motion people then decide to amend the Constitution). :smile: However, your's and Morgsie's motions are also fine. :smile:
Reply 11
I can be a piece of work. I am thinking of one great big Resolution covering all ideas including repealing that ****
I asked Rory if I could represent Syria as I was thinking of resigning from India and taking up a UNO when we've reformed them also. To add to what miser said, shouldn't motions, in the MUN, be (if we're debating out of character) 'this forum believes' or if in character 'this assembly believes'?
Reply 13
Original post by Cheese_Monster
I asked Rory if I could represent Syria as I was thinking of resigning from India and taking up a UNO when we've reformed them also. To add to what miser said, shouldn't motions, in the MUN, be (if we're debating out of character) 'this forum believes' or if in character 'this assembly believes'?

Either's fine because I'll decide how we debate once I post the first motion so just go with whatever feels right for you, but the debate will probably be in character for now because I want to see if that works. :smile:
Original post by Morgsie
I can be a piece of work. I am thinking of one great big Resolution covering all ideas including repealing that ****

Give it a rest, it passed democratically, I know you hate democratic decisions but just leave it or make a resolution and have it voted down.
Original post by toronto353
Either's fine because I'll decide how we debate once I post the first motion so just go with whatever feels right for you, but the debate will probably be in character for now because I want to see if that works. :smile:

Yeah I reckon it'd be more appropriate if we debate in character, people can just [OOC] if they want to express their own views.
This Assembly believes that globalisation has made national governance redundant
Reply 17
Original post by Cheese_Monster
Yeah I reckon it'd be more appropriate if we debate in character, people can just [OOC] if they want to express their own views.

Precisely and that would be a nice idea to spice up the debate a bit. :smile: Plus we can then use that to decide how to debate future motions.
Reply 18
Free and fair elections in Zimbabwe which Mugabe has said if he loses then he will step down which is complete BS. Free and fair elections everywhere
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 19
The first motion is up for debate!

Please continue to post all motions on here. Also, I shall still consider any motions that weren't used this week.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending