The Student Room Group

What's the saddest film scene you've ever watched?

Scroll to see replies

Requiem for a dream is extremely sad especially this scene:

[video="youtube;i3OK0KgXjmk"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3OK0KgXjmk[/video]
The opening scene to Up always gets me :sadnod:
Original post by Gray Strawberries
Requiem for a dream is extremely sad especially this scene:

That is very sad "I wanna be on television" :frown: I felt so sorry for her
Castaway (2000): Chuck (Tom Hanks) say's goodbye for the second time to the love of his life Kelly (Helen Hunt) realising she has new commitments (she married someone else thinking he had died in the plane crash. She now has young children).

The Browning Version (1994): Albert Finney (Crocker-Harris) retirement speech.

The Lovely Bones (2009): Susie Salmon's father accepts his daughter is never coming back. (she was raped and murdered aged 13 by a neighbour). Brian Eno's music is heart-wrenchingly beautiful.

Black Adder Goes Forth (1989): Final scene where the soldiers go 'over-the-top' and it fades from the trenches to the poppy fields of Flanders.

To Kill a Mockingbird (1962): Atticus Finch (Gregory Peck) leaves the courtroom after defending Tom Robinson and the people in the public gallery stand up out of complete respect.

The Railway Children (1970): Bobbie (Jenny Agutter) greets her father after he spent many years in prison. The steam from the train clears on the railway station platform, she sees him and then shouts 'daddy........my daddy'.

Brief Encounter (1945): Laura (Celia Johnson) says goodbye to her lover Dr Alec Harvey (Trevor Howard) at the railway station and returns to the drudgery of married life and her husband. 'You've been a long way away', 'yes'. 'Thank you for coming back to me'.
Rachmaninov's Piano Concerto No2 and British stoicism at its best.
Reply 104
It isn't sad due to a death of a person, but the merits of it have its own qualities of sadness, and I speak of the end of Gone with the Wind, which Scarlet realises she loves Rhett, but who in turn does not love her, too fed up and far gone to be brought back to loving her again. A very tragic ending for a great love story.
(edited 10 years ago)
In The Return of The King, when Faramir returns unconscious to Minas Tirith and his dad tries to burn him.He only wanted his dad to be proud of him like he was proud of Boromir so sacrifices himself to defend and support their garrison. I was crying by the end of the scene :')
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 106
It's not a film, but just had to add it in... when Rose leaves Doctor Who *weeps* :cry2:
Original post by jennyruneckles
[video="youtube;yPLcZ5Rk3Lg"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPLcZ5Rk3Lg[/video]

:frown:

I would also have to say this and I think someone already mentioned it but the bit in Dumbo when he goes to visit his mother. I always cry when it shows scenes of all the other animals with their babies and then it cuts back to him swinging on his mother's trunk :cry:
Reply 108
The funeral scene in Ladder 49.
The funeral scene in My Girl, really good acting by the young girl.
End of Gladiator
(By mentioning scenes it'll spoil the films so I'll just write the film)
Forrest Gump (Jenny)
Green Mile (The End)
Keith
The Notebook
A Walk to Remember
Million Dollar Baby
Braveheart (FREEDOOOOMM - The music is perfect for this scene)
Pans Labyrinth (The end)
Saving Private Ryan (Graveyard scene)
Up
Bridge to Terabithia (Didn't expect anything like that)
Hotel Rwanda
I Am Sam
United 93
The Lovely Bones
Untamed Heart
Dead Poet's Society
(edited 10 years ago)
The pursuit if happyness just because if the sacrifices parents make :frown:

The ending of toy story 3!

Extremely loud and incredibly close even though I didn't like the kid the whole 9 11 thing was too much when I was already emotional :frown:
Reply 110
For me it has got to be 'The Titanic'...so sad...so sad :frown:
Reply 111
Mufasa's death for me.

Where Simba's begging him to wake up. And then he just lies under his paw crying, waiting for his dad to open his eyes. Trying to record in his memory the warmth of having his dad comforting him the same way when he was alive.

*sob*
Original post by ShazK
For me it has got to be 'The Titanic'...so sad...so sad :frown:

Sorry but that film was so stupid it became a comedy

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by iamthestig
That is very sad "I wanna be on television" :frown: I felt so sorry for her

How ellen didn't win an oscar for that performance is beyond me, they gave it to Julia roberts instead :angry:
I think Seven Pounds is the film I cry most at, that film actually ruined me. I was crying during it and then for about half an hour afterwards too. It was like there was a dementor in the room, I was so empty and sad.

Saying that I cry at the 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th and 8th Harry Potter films EVERYTIME.
GoF - when Amos says "That's my son, that's my boy" about Cedric.
OotP - When Sirius dies, of course, heart breaking as he's one of my favourite characters.
HBP - When Dumbledore dies.
DH1 - when Hedwig and Dobby die, especially Dobby.
DH2 - over everyone's death pretty much, except Bellatrix, though she's also one of my favourites. Also when Harry's at the Pensieve watching Snape's memories and he's talking about how Harry has to die (obviously I know it all ends well, but it still makes me sad).

To be fair, I cry at so many films that most people don't find sad.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The start of Saving Private Ryan where the soldiers land on the beaches on D-Day. Turned me off war for the rest of my life.
Original post by LouiseOrd
I think Seven Pounds is the film I cry most at, that film actually ruined me. I was crying during it and then for about half an hour afterwards too. It was like there was a dementor in the room, I was so empty and sad.

Saying that I cry at the 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th and 8th Harry Potter films EVERYTIME.
GoF - when Amos says "That's my son, that's my boy" about Cedric.
OotP - When Sirius dies, of course, heart breaking as he's one of my favourite characters.
HBP - When Dumbledore dies.
DH1 - when Hedwig and Dobby die, especially Dobby.
DH2 - over everyone's death pretty much, except Bellatrix, though she's also one of my favourites. Also when Harry's at the Pensieve watching Snape's memories and he's talking about how Harry has to die (obviously I know it all ends well, but it still makes me sad).

To be fair, I cry at so many films that most people don't find sad.

Posted from TSR Mobile

When Snape is holding Lily when he finds her dead! Cried at that in the cinema.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Pixielefrench
When Snape is holding Lily when he finds her dead! Cried at that in the cinema.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh I know! I just sit there bawling like a baby and my brother's like "Louise, it's not real" and through my tears I'm like "Leave me alone, it's real to me!" Oh, why am I such a loser :').

Posted from TSR Mobile
The ending of The Mist.
Reply 119
Original post by Sammy Lanka
Sorry but that film was so stupid it became a comedy

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well, that is your opinion of it, not mine. You are entitled to your own opinion.

Quick Reply

Latest