The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Cambridge postgraduate applicants 2014/15

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Historiana
You only get emails if you've been rejected/made an offer/put on hold or invited for interview.

As a matter of course, they don't email you for minor Camsis status changes and generally 'awaiting' to 'under consideration' means very little.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I received a conditional offer yesterday and wasn't emailed. It only took about 8 weeks of being under the consideration by the degree committee :smile:

EDIT: Has anyone been accepted by Magdalene or Clare after having received an offer? If so, how long did it take? Thanks :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Original post by Miketheturtle
I received a conditional offer yesterday and wasn't emailed. It only took about 8 weeks of being under the consideration by the degree committee :smile:

EDIT: Has anyone been accepted by Magdalene or Clare after having received an offer? If so, how long did it take? Thanks :smile:

Can I ask how long you were waiting for BoGS approval for?

I've been waiting a day and Grad. Admissions says it should be through by end of the week. However, soooo impatient!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've been waiting a day and Grad. Admissions says it should be through by end of the week. However, soooo impatient!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

To be honest, I don't know. I stopped looking at my Self-Service account just before Christmas until yesterday and the status had changed to "Conditional Offer Made". Best of luck to you that it comes soon :smile:
Reply 583
Thought this would be a good place for the Cambridge offer holders to get to know one another.

Name:
Course:
College:

Name: Tom
From: Rhode Island, USA, currently at St Andrews for M.Litt
Course: History PhD
College: Unsuccessful at Tit Hall; waiting for college membership
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 584
For any offer holders, feel free to introduce yourself here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2558445
Name: Lisa
Course: MPhil Modern European History
College: Waiting for membership. 1st Choice: St John's 2nd Choice: Christs
(edited 10 years ago)
Name: Emily
From: Cambridge (although studying at Glasgow at the min)
Course: MPhil in Theoretical and Applied Linguistics
College: Emma
Original post by flywithemma
Emailed them and got an out of office reply saying to expect a reply in under five days…which isn't really very helpful at all as I want to make sure my application is submitted before the CHESS funding deadline! Did the reply you got seem like an automated thing, or something that someone would have to actually send out?

Oh no - although I've emailed a couple of times, and on both occasions they got back to me within 24 hours so it should be quite quick.

The reply did seem like an automated thing, especially as it came through at 3.30am (unless someone was feeling particularly nocturnal!)

Fingers crossed that this gets sorted by the deadline - have you got everything else ready to go? (Photo, transcripts, referees on standby, other departmental stuff)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 588
Original post by LauriK
I applied to psychology PhD and got an invite to skype interview in two days time.
Any idea what to expect?

I don't know anything about the Psychology PhD program, so please excuse me if this response is totally off-base.

They will probably ask you about your research proposal, they may try to poke holes in it so be ready to defend it; in preparation, you may want to consider any weaknesses you see in the proposal and/or in pursuing it as a long-term/long-form project, and think about how you would defend the proposal if those weaknesses are pointed out. They may also ask you why you want to come to Cambridge, why you want to work with Professor X, and if you have any questions about the program, Faculty, university, etc.
Reply 589
Original post by LauriK
I applied to psychology PhD and got an invite to skype interview in two days time.
Any idea what to expect?

Woo(I'm doing a Psychology PhD in Cam)! Is this for funding or an interview with your supervisor? Who are you applying to work with?
Name: Mike
Course: MPhil in archaeology
College: None as of yet. Hoping for Magdalene.
Reply 591
Name: Sheryl
Course: MPhil in Early Modern History
College: Waiting for membership (first choice Tit Hall, second choice Darwin)
Reply 592

Posted from TSR Mobile

Mine came through yesterday, which was 5 working days from it being approved by the History fac and going through to BoGS.
Original post by squeryl
Mine came through yesterday, which was 5 working days from it being approved by the History fac and going through to BoGS.

Oooh thanks. Are you IHPT?

Should be through by Friday then - excellent!
Name: Lucy
Course: MPhil Criminology
College: Pembroke
Reply 595
Original post by Vousden
Woo(I'm doing a Psychology PhD in Cam)! Is this for funding or an interview with your supervisor? Who are you applying to work with?

I don't even know what's this for exactly. I did an internship there in the summer and worked in the same room as my (hopefully future) supervisor for two months. This email I got was from another person in the department (who I actually met in the summer as well) and my supervisor was included in the list too. So I haven't really figured out what this interview will be about, but it's definately better to have one than to get flat out rejected :smile:
Reply 596
Original post by LauriK
I don't even know what's this for exactly. I did an internship there in the summer and worked in the same room as my (hopefully future) supervisor for two months. This email I got was from another person in the department (who I actually met in the summer as well) and my supervisor was included in the list too. So I haven't really figured out what this interview will be about, but it's definately better to have one than to get flat out rejected :smile:

So who was the email from (if you don't wanna say then ok)? My tip would be to come up with a few (very loose) ideas of what you want to do a PhD on - that's what will most likely to come up in conversation. My 'interview' was very relaxing and more of a chat than an interview.

If you have done a internship and the department you've definitely got a very good shot!
Original post by smidgenofpigeon
Hey anyone heard anything about the MPhil Architecture and urban design applications yet....?

hey!! Applied in early December, haven't heard anything back yet. How about you?
Reply 598
I received a conditional offer and was allocated college membership (Jesus) just before Christmas - over the moon!

All my conditions have been met and have disappeared from my page. I'm wondering how long it usually takes to hear from your college? The offer booklet indicates they will get in touch asking for details, and I presume so I can formally accept. I expected to hear soon after CamSIS was updated with "Status: A college has offered you membership", but it's been 3+ weeks now. I realise it has been the festive season so delays should be expected.

I thought I'd ask here before contacting them, in case it's normal. Any insight would be appreciated!
Reply 599
Original post by Razor_
I received a conditional offer and was allocated college membership (Jesus) just before Christmas - over the moon!

All my conditions have been met and have disappeared from my page. I'm wondering how long it usually takes to hear from your college? The offer booklet indicates they will get in touch asking for details, and I presume so I can formally accept. I expected to hear soon after CamSIS was updated with "Status: A college has offered you membership", but it's been 3+ weeks now. I realise it has been the festive season so delays should be expected.

I thought I'd ask here before contacting them, in case it's normal. Any insight would be appreciated!

You might not hear until the summer, honestly. Cambridge colleges generally take a *long* time to send out info about accommodation, funding, etc...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending