The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Cambridge postgraduate applicants 2014/15

Scroll to see replies

Reply 780
Original post by greeneyedgirl
Please remember that discussion of specific interview questions is banned on TSR.

Sorry, had no idea! Thank you
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Original post by Hope19
Sorry, had no idea! Thank you

You can discuss generals, but nothing specific, it's just so that no-one has unfair advantage etc.
Reply 782
Original post by Hope19
Hey everyone! I have an interview in two weeks and I am just wondering how difficult the interviews usually are. Do they test general knowledge and plans and objectives, or is it a bit tricky?

The three interviews I had were not tricky or I'm too dull to recognize :smile:
Reply 783
Original post by LauriK
The three interviews I had were not tricky or I'm too dull to recognize :smile:

Lol no I am sure that's not the case. Hope it went well :smile:
Question to the people that received offers.
Did you receive your college allocations already? If so how long did you have to wait?
Original post by freefrag
Did you receive your college allocations already? If so how long did you have to wait?

:yep: couple of days.

No.

I was told by Admissions to expect to wait up to three months.

I got my offer on the 8th Jan, and my 2nd pref currently has my application. Not expecting an answer till at least the end of February.
I've now been asked to do an online language assessment through the University Language Centre. It's a bit ludicrous that the requirement applies only to applicants from non-"native" English countries. I was born in Pakistan, brought up in Hong Kong but speak English as my first language. It's a bit short-sighted for an internationally-acclaimed university to judge language ability based on the applicant's country of origin. I've got a Master's in English, a PGCE in English and have taught the bloody language for over 5 years as a "native" English teacher in Hong Kong! It's not that I am afraid of taking the assessment, it's just that taking it solely because I come from a non-"native" country would make me somewhat of a hypocrite; considering my research proposal (based on which I've been given an offer) explores the "emancipation" of English from the "native-speaker" construct; a concept widely acknowledged in academia and documented in several papers published by the university's very own publishing firm!

Sorry, just needed to vent out my frustration!
Reply 788

several weeks, but it was during winter break, so perhaps not indicative.
Reply 789
Original post by shah.allout
I've now been asked to do an online language assessment through the University Language Centre. It's a bit ludicrous that the requirement applies only to applicants from non-"native" English countries. I was born in Pakistan, brought up in Hong Kong but speak English as my first language. It's a bit short-sighted for an internationally-acclaimed university to judge language ability based on the applicant's country of origin. I've got a Master's in English, a PGCE in English and have taught the bloody language for over 5 years as a "native" English teacher in Hong Kong! It's not that I am afraid of taking the assessment, it's just that taking it solely because I come from a non-"native" country would make me somewhat of a hypocrite; considering my research proposal (based on which I've been given an offer) explores the "emancipation" of English from the "native-speaker" construct; a concept widely acknowledged in academia and documented in several papers published by the university's very own publishing firm!

did you try writing to the admissions office and send your qualifications?
Reply 790

Have you told them you are an English first language speaker? I also had a language condition apparently automatically applied because of my country, but I just contacted them and explained English is my home language, and they took the condition away.
I emailed them after receiving the conditions of my offer with documentary evidence of my previous study and my former employment contract where I was hired as a "native" English teacher in Hong Kong by a government school. Received an email saying "it will be necessary for your English language skills to be assessed" without explanation of any sort. Already sensing bureaucracy.
Reply 792
Original post by sj27
Have you told them you are an English first language speaker? I also had a language condition apparently automatically applied because of my country, but I just contacted them and explained English is my home language, and they took the condition away.

Right. One of my conditions was something that could not possibly be done, so I told them what I can do instead and they took the condition away as satisfactory.
Reply 793
I emailed them after receiving the conditions of my offer with documentary evidence of my previous study and my former employment contract where I was hired as a "native" English teacher in Hong Kong by a government school. Received an email saying "it will be necessary for your English language skills to be assessed" without explanation of any sort. Already sensing bureaucracy.

Jane Wilkinson is the head of grad admissions ([email protected]). Try sending her a quick note and see if she can be of help.
Reply 794
Original post by TCAZN
Are applications for Part III considered by the Department of Mathematics first rather than first by the degree committee?

I also applied for Part III Maths. submitted all the documents on the 25th December.
My status changed from "awaiting consideration by dept" to "under consideration by degree committee" around 13th January. So apparently I skipped the department phase/there might not be a department phase.

I saw there was a degree committee meeting on 23rd of January but my status hasn't changed since then. Anyone in a similar situation for Maths?
Reply 795
Original post by Nichrome
Yeah that's right, though if you've been interviewed and accepted the application is just a formality to check references and transcripts. There is also a chance they might ask you to apply to UCL rather than Cambridge (though you can swap after the end of your first year providing you're doing the PhD too). IIRC most of the telecommunications stuff is at UCL anyway but don't quote me on that!

Hello, I am an applicant of UCL. May I ask why there was no interview after I submitted pre-application form and they invited me to submit official application via email? Do you think they will interview me later? I am confused. Many thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 796
Original post by Nichrome
Are you an international student? If so, that's why.

Yes, I am Taiwanese . So there won't be any interview waiting for me?
Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 797
Hello everyone, I've applied for Gates Scholarship, my subject is within the Divinity range. I check my camsis daily and I was really hoping that something would happen by the end of January. Has anyone got any news already? I have to decide about a new job within days and I am at a loss what to do without the Gates notification.
Reply 798
Original post by p_agnes
Hello everyone, I've applied for Gates Scholarship, my subject is within the Divinity range. I check my camsis daily and I was really hoping that something would happen by the end of January. Has anyone got any news already? I have to decide about a new job within days and I am at a loss what to do without the Gates notification.

I'm in exact same position (different subject area tho), no notice from anywhere.
Reply 799
Original post by greeneyedgirl
Awesome congrats! What colleges did you apply to?

Thank you! First choice Trinity (like so many :biggrin:) and then Pembroke.

Original post by kebl4179
Same here, same change this morning. :smile:

Congrats, MPhil Economics too right?

Original post by sj27
Congrats guys!

Thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending