The Student Room Group

Carphone Warehouse Training

Hey everyone,

Okay, so through some kind of miracle, I got myself a Customer Consultant job at The Carphone Warehouse (no experience).

Anyway, so I rushed up there to sign all the forms and he said he would let me know about the training.

It's been about three weeks now and I still haven't done the three consecutive day training course. He said the training centres were busy but even so, is it normal to wait this long and how much longer? I'm going to university soon and fitting in three full consecutive days will become difficult. He said I'll get an email soon, and keeps saying that but I'm still waiting.

How much longer will this be? Anyone else with any experience? Should I call him next week to see if anything is happening yet?

Scroll to see replies

Well done! I've actually got an interview on Wednesday for the same job so I can't really help you as I haven't got the job yet-but can you help me? Like what is the interview like!?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by xtinalouise
Well done! I've actually got an interview on Wednesday for the same job so I can't really help you as I haven't got the job yet-but can you help me? Like what is the interview like!?

Posted from TSR Mobile

They will just focus on getting to know you better really. The key is to relax, smile, be down to earth and try and get the interviewer to like you. They ask a lot of questions which obviously try and draw out how you will react in situations so draw on past experiences and say how you would deal with issues in store. Also, they like to know how you work in a target-based environment and so on. Be ready to sell something too and explain why you like phones compared to other technology. Have a good idea of the history and just generally about the organisation (the guy said he'd never met someone who knew as much as I did, haha) and their core principles that form their culture (on careers website). Most of it is quite basic, so why them as oppose to another company etc. Just have some answers ready, quite a few are based on persuading people and selling stuff. You don't really need to know loads about phones but it obviously helps if you have some commercial awareness about what is hot, and what is not, haha. Also, knowing the range of products they sell and what they focus on is good (again look at the website for full range of products and services) and having a strong idea of the scope of the job and what is involved. There is more but I've forgotten now, sorry. So I'll edit this if I remember. All the best though xD.
Hi there Iv actually just come back at the weekend from the carphone training course in Preston. Dont worry about it they will take care of everything including train tickets and hotel bookings and just send u an email. If you do have any problems then contact ur interviewer or call the store. Btw training is 4 days of learning how to build rapport till training tarrif learning and most importantly passing the FCA Insurance test to sell the geek squad insurancem if you fail you will be sent home and ur job offer terminated. Theu give u all revision materials so just learn them well and focus. Apart from that the social side is awesome got to meet a lot of awesome people! Hope that helps and enjoy ur training :smile:
Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by mbs_786
Hi there Iv actually just come back at the weekend from the carphone training course in Preston. Dont worry about it they will take care of everything including train tickets and hotel bookings and just send u an email. If you do have any problems then contact ur interviewer or call the store. Btw training is 4 days of learning how to build rapport till training tarrif learning and most importantly passing the FCA Insurance test to sell the geek squad insurancem if you fail you will be sent home and ur job offer terminated. Theu give u all revision materials so just learn them well and focus. Apart from that the social side is awesome got to meet a lot of awesome people! Hope that helps and enjoy ur training :smile:
Posted from TSR Mobile

Training sounds scary :eek:
Haha its really not that bad btw. It sounds worse than it is :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by will2348
They will just focus on getting to know you better really. The key is to relax, smile, be down to earth and try and get the interviewer to like you. They ask a lot of questions which obviously try and draw out how you will react in situations so draw on past experiences and say how you would deal with issues in store. Also, they like to know how you work in a target-based environment and so on. Be ready to sell something too and explain why you like phones compared to other technology. Have a good idea of the history and just generally about the organisation (the guy said he'd never met someone who knew as much as I did, haha) and their core principles that form their culture (on careers website). Most of it is quite basic, so why them as oppose to another company etc. Just have some answers ready, quite a few are based on persuading people and selling stuff. You don't really need to know loads about phones but it obviously helps if you have some commercial awareness about what is hot, and what is not, haha. Also, knowing the range of products they sell and what they focus on is good (again look at the website for full range of products and services) and having a strong idea of the scope of the job and what is involved. There is more but I've forgotten now, sorry. So I'll edit this if I remember. All the best though xD.

Ah I had my interview a few hours ago..just waiting to see if I've got the job now!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ah I had my interview a few hours ago..just waiting to see if I've got the job now!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Fingers crossed. How did you feel it went? What store?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey everyone,

Okay, so through some kind of miracle, I got myself a Customer Consultant job at The Carphone Warehouse (no experience).

Anyway, so I rushed up there to sign all the forms and he said he would let me know about the training.

It's been about three weeks now and I still haven't done the three consecutive day training course. He said the training centres were busy but even so, is it normal to wait this long and how much longer? I'm going to university soon and fitting in three full consecutive days will become difficult. He said I'll get an email soon, and keeps saying that but I'm still waiting.

How much longer will this be? Anyone else with any experience? Should I call him next week to see if anything is happening yet?

Teach me,how did you get through with no exp?
Original post by BritBoyWonder
Teach me,how did you get through with no exp?

I think I just got lucky, just being honest. I got rejected from my first interview with them. You've just got to get them to like you, smile, be down to earth, make conversation, try find something in common and be relaxed but not so relaxed you look like you don't care. If you're relaxed it makes the interviewer feel good and like you. I basically when he asked questions that required experience would try and bull**** something out and then say what I would do if I had the job. So if he says how would you react to a bad customer, just say how you would, you can say what you would do even without experience to actually back it up. There is no formula and you will need luck to be fair but no harm in trying and having some self-belief.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I got the job!!!!!!!!!!! WOOOOOHOOOOOOOOO.
I got the job!!!!!!!!!!! WOOOOOHOOOOOOOOO.

Congrats! xD

Posted from TSR Mobile
Welcome to the Carphone Warehouse family! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey everyone,

Hii,
Have you heard back from them yet? I just got offered the job and he mentioned I'd have to go to the training in Preston, wondering how long I'll have to wait to go?
Thanks.
Original post by rebeccasarahx
Hii,
Have you heard back from them yet? I just got offered the job and he mentioned I'd have to go to the training in Preston, wondering how long I'll have to wait to go?
Thanks.

Well I've waited a month now but he text me to say it'll be very soon now. He said it isn't normally like that though, recruitment have been exceptionally busy and they've had teething problems with a new computer system. Apparently all good now though. I live in London so guessing they have a training centre down here? Don't fancy going all that way, haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well I've waited a month now but he text me to say it'll be very soon now. He said it isn't normally like that though, recruitment have been exceptionally busy and they've had teething problems with a new computer system. Apparently all good now though. I live in London so guessing they have a training centre down here? Don't fancy going all that way, haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile

A month?! That's so long, the manager said it shouldn't be longer than 2-3 weeks hopefully.
Yes I'm sure he said they're in Preston and London so you'll be okay :biggrin:
Good luck with the course!
Original post by rebeccasarahx
A month?! That's so long, the manager said it shouldn't be longer than 2-3 weeks hopefully.
Yes I'm sure he said they're in Preston and London so you'll be okay :biggrin:
Good luck with the course!

Haha, that's what my manager first said :wink:. Good luck to you too! :biggrin:
Reply 17
Just FYI, I've waited 3 weeks, and finally they've sorted themselves out and given me approximate dates for the start of sep (2nd / 3rd) and its 4 days in Preston, so you might find you're offered the same days.
I was told 2 different stories as to why there was a delay. One manager said theyve been busy, the other manager told me its because theyre adding a day of training due to introducing the use of tablets to put sales through on.

if you haven't had these already, you'll get multiple emails from HRSC about your details, uniform etc and also an email from Experian for your background checks.
shouldnt be too long now for you guys, I had my interview at end of July, was offered the job days later, and waiting until now for training, so more like a month really.

edit: and I've already been rota'd in for 2 days after training ends, to then do the in-store training. So after the training event, you're literally in immediately (provided you don't fail)
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 18
Hi I have to go for training in Preston on Monday and just wondered, do you actually get paid whilst you're there? Thanks :smile:
Hi Helen. As you are now an employee of the Carphone Warehouse you will be paid for your training and your everyday costs will he reimbursed like your taxi fares and dinner fares (they give u tokens for lunch and also the hotel you are staying in will have a breakfast buffet). If you need to know anything else then feel free to PM me because I am actually a new start as well and came back from my training session in Preston about 2 weeks ago. Btw you will most likely be staying at the Preston Legacy International hotel. Its an awesome hotel btw! :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending