The Student Room Group

English Applicants 2014

Is anybody here considering or set on English Literature for next year? Which universities are you looking at?

Here's the English connect/stalking page - you'll be able to see other applicants' grades and offers. If you enter your details it will be really helpful for other people applying. :h:
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I am and have looked at Aberystwyth Edinburgh Stirling York Sheffield Essex Bangor and Glasgow..... Just need to decide which I want to apply for now!:confused:
Trying to revive this! I'm thinking English at UCL and Bristol and then possibly Cambridge, Durham and York or Leeds. I have my grades already though.
UCL, KCL, Queen Mary, Manchester, Westminster..
Original post by Dead End Street
UCL, KCL, Queen Mary, Manchester, Westminster..

So you're kind of keen on going to London? I'm in love with UCL's course but I don't know if I could cope being at another of the Uni of London colleges if I missed UC!
Reply 5
I'm looking at Sheffield, Exeter, Manchester, York, Durham and Nottingham, I've heard English is really competitive though, so I'm slightly worried.
I'm looking at Chester, York St John, Edge Hill, Chichester and Bath Spa! Their courses are contemporary and old/classic texts!
Original post by Laura44
I'm looking at Sheffield, Exeter, Manchester, York, Durham and Nottingham, I've heard English is really competitive though, so I'm slightly worried.

Just went to Sheffield yesterday, it's a pretty city. :smile: I'm so worried! I actually have my grades but I can't talk myself out of applying to lower offer universities just in case! I'm going to Durham tomorrow (going round the country haha), hopefully I like it so the £60 train fare - with a railcard - is worth it.
Original post by SixteenHundred
So you're kind of keen on going to London? I'm in love with UCL's course but I don't know if I could cope being at another of the Uni of London colleges if I missed UC!

Really keen, yeah! It would be upsetting being at UoL and not UCL or Kings but I'd get over it.
Original post by Dead End Street
Really keen, yeah! It would be upsetting being at UoL and not UCL or Kings but I'd get over it.

Have you started on your personal statement yet?

Not yet, have you?
Reply 11

I have and finding it extremely difficult :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by abbymonty
I have and finding it extremely difficult :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Written my first draft and it's messy but my tutor just ok'd it so now I'm not sure what to do! Are you working to the October deadline? That's honestly the only reason I'm starting mine now - that and the fact that being a gap year student means my school want to process me as quickly as possible so they can get on to the younger ones I think.
Reply 13
Written my first draft and it's messy but my tutor just ok'd it so now I'm not sure what to do! Are you working to the October deadline? That's honestly the only reason I'm starting mine now - that and the fact that being a gap year student means my school want to process me as quickly as possible so they can get on to the younger ones I think.

Mine's messy too, haven't gotten round to seeing my tutor about it yet though! My college have an internal deadline of 4th of November but I want to send mine off at the start of October - partially to get it out the way but my tutor thinks an early application will be in my favour :dontknow:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Mine's messy too, haven't gotten round to seeing my tutor about it yet though! My college have an internal deadline of 4th of November but I want to send mine off at the start of October - partially to get it out the way but my tutor thinks an early application will be in my favour :dontknow:

Posted from TSR Mobile

My tutor wants mine in by the end of next week! He knows I can write that fast (as I did every essay for his class last minute, knew that would come back to bite me one day) but it's not helping my stress levels! :redface: What sort of lit are you interested in? :smile:

Where are you applying? I know for Durham they say that an early one is good if you want your first choice of college, so maybe it wouldn't hurt for some others as well. :smile:
Reply 15
At least it will be over and done with sooner! I spend weeks on my essays.. I started my PS last month though!

I really love 19th century literature, Pride and Prejudice is my absolute favourite book ever :') but I want to explore Lit more, I'm interested in reading some American stuff as it's been recommended to me by my friends but just haven't got road to any of it yet!! Wbu?

I'm sure yet because I did better in my results than I expected but I'm thinking maybe Aberystwyth, Stirling, York, Bangor and Reading.. Where are you applying for?
Reply 16
I'm thinking of applying to Queen Mary, It'd be one of my ideal unis to study English at! I'm just not sure whether my grades are/will be good enough. Does anyone know how competitive it is? Roughly how many applicants per place?

Also, I recommend reading American Psycho as a piece of American literature. Can't say I've ever read anything quite like it

Posted from TSR Mobile
At least it will be over and done with sooner! I spend weeks on my essays.. I started my PS last month though!

I really love 19th century literature, Pride and Prejudice is my absolute favourite book ever :') but I want to explore Lit more, I'm interested in reading some American stuff as it's been recommended to me by my friends but just haven't got road to any of it yet!! Wbu?

I'm sure yet because I did better in my results than I expected but I'm thinking maybe Aberystwyth, Stirling, York, Bangor and Reading.. Where are you applying for?

Love P&P and Austen! Which other novels of hers have you read? I like late c19th/early 20th, inter-war years and anything Gothic, but I'm also interested in the roots of science fiction and Gothic, so Edgar Allen Poe has popped up recently as well as mythological stuff. I'm dying for the opportunity to study Old English in particular.

Cambridge, UCL, Durham, Nottingham and either Bristol or Exeter or somewhere else altogether. It's a little different for me as I don't have to play it quite as safe (although with English it's still best to be cautious as it's so competitive and although my school is pushing me to apply to all AAA and above it makes me worry).
Reply 18
Love P&P and Austen! Which other novels of hers have you read? I like late c19th/early 20th, inter-war years and anything Gothic, but I'm also interested in the roots of science fiction and Gothic, so Edgar Allen Poe has popped up recently as well as mythological stuff. I'm dying for the opportunity to study Old English in particular.

Cambridge, UCL, Durham, Nottingham and either Bristol or Exeter or somewhere else altogether. It's a little different for me as I don't have to play it quite as safe (although with English it's still best to be cautious as it's so competitive and although my school is pushing me to apply to all AAA and above it makes me worry).

Emma and Sense & Sensibility, but Pride and Prejudice is my fave! I've just started studying Gothic for my A2, we've read some Angela Carter so far! I really want to read Dracula, my brother says it is really good, and the way it's written is fantastic! That sounds interesting, I often wonder where some of the ideas for Gothis and Sci Fi have originated from! I'm quite interested inlooking at old English too, we've touched on it a tiny bit in my Language class and I find the language so interesting, so would love to go into it in more depth!

Wow you must be really clever!! Best of luck to you! I did think about Nottingham because it's my hometown but doubt I would get an offer, and I think I would prefer to go away anyway! :smile:
Emma and Sense & Sensibility, but Pride and Prejudice is my fave! I've just started studying Gothic for my A2, we've read some Angela Carter so far! I really want to read Dracula, my brother says it is really good, and the way it's written is fantastic! That sounds interesting, I often wonder where some of the ideas for Gothis and Sci Fi have originated from! I'm quite interested inlooking at old English too, we've touched on it a tiny bit in my Language class and I find the language so interesting, so would love to go into it in more depth!

Wow you must be really clever!! Best of luck to you! I did think about Nottingham because it's my hometown but doubt I would get an offer, and I think I would prefer to go away anyway! :smile:

Emma is my favourite! I've read Northanger Abbey too but wouldn't recommend it as much as it's a bit odd and disjointed. Yes read Dracula! I need to reread actually as I read it years ago but it's very carefully put together and just a great example of good Gothic fiction. You do Language? I'd love to have done that! My school doesn't offer it.

Hehe thank you but it's more because I have my grades already so I know I meet the standard offers for those universities! It makes UCAS a bit complicated though with qualifications and so on and obviously English is so competitive it's about more than just the grades. :s-smilie:

Oh you live in Notts? I'm pretty near, in Leicester! Just went to the Nottingham Open Day today which was lovely, it's such a pretty campus, so I've decided I will probably apply there. You sound like you've looked all over the place! Are you particularly keen on going to Wales or are they just both unis where you like the course and the location? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending