The Student Room Group

English Applicants 2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Applied to Leeds, Edinburgh, Sheffield, York and Leeds Met - predicted A*AA. I've had an offer from Leeds Met, but haven't heard from the rest yet - has anyone had offers for Leeds or Sheffield?
Original post by Dead End Street
Is anybody here considering or set on English Literature for next year? Which universities are you looking at?

I've applied to study English at Nottingham, Loughborough, Oxford, Bristol and Warwick! Sooo exciting! :biggrin:
a lot of people seeming to be applying to Nottingham for English. I applied to do English and History at Derby on Monday; now waiting for a response! it's nerve racking :frown: boo!
Original post by simplylldxo
a lot of people seeming to be applying to Nottingham for English. I applied to do English and History at Derby on Monday; now waiting for a response! it's nerve racking :frown: boo!

Good luck! It's so much fun! :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone read the Seamus Heaney Beowulf translation? I finished it last week and it's amazing. Definitely recommend it especially if you're a Lord of the Rings /epic fantasy fan! :biggrin:
Original post by SixteenHundred
Anyone read the Seamus Heaney Beowulf translation? I finished it last week and it's amazing. Definitely recommend it especially if you're a Lord of the Rings /epic fantasy fan! :biggrin:

"So..."
The first word. Discuss.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iP
Original post by PatrickB
"So..."
The first word. Discuss.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iP

Mistranslation apparently! Aside from that, I think it reflects the oral tradition in epic poetry, like a resumption of a story. You?

I'm actually more interested in the last word, "fame" - perfectly encapsulates what to me is the major theme of the poem. Ties it together rather well, as the legend which Beowulf strives for throughout has been told. What did you think of Beowulf, by the way?
Reply 187
So my reference has finally been added and it's all been sent off. Now the waiting begins!

English Literature with English Language: Bangor University
English Language and Literature: Lancaster University
English Language and Literature: University of Sheffield
English Language and Literature: University of Leeds
English: University of York

Absolutely crapping it but from what I've seen the English departments at some of these unis seem very quick to reply. Only difference would be that I'm doing an access course so they may want to interview, not really sure. Oh well fingers crossed!
Original post by stphr
So my reference has finally been added and it's all been sent off. Now the waiting begins!

Absolutely crapping it but from what I've seen the English departments at some of these unis seem very quick to reply. Only difference would be that I'm doing an access course so they may want to interview, not really sure. Oh well fingers crossed!

Good luck! I applied to York and they were very quick so fingers crossed for you too. :smile:
Reply 189
Good luck! I applied to York and they were very quick so fingers crossed for you too. :smile:

Thank you! I think York's my first choice so hopefully!

It was awesome. I talked about it in my personal statement.
Original post by shaken-pine
It was awesome. I talked about it in my personal statement.

I wanted to but I didn't have get around to reading it before I applied! I know a couple of people who mentioned it though - it's just one of those texts that can really have an effect on you, I think. Did you get a chance to talk through it with anyone?
I wanted to but I didn't have get around to reading it before I applied! I know a couple of people who mentioned it though - it's just one of those texts that can really have an effect on you, I think. Did you get a chance to talk through it with anyone?

Well, no one from my school is applying for English, so unfortunately not... but on TSR I did talk to Pia B about it. I read it over the summer, because we'd already read some of Heaney's poems in class and it seemed to make sense.
It's fascinating to see how Heaney's style impacts Beowulf overall.
Reply 193
Hello everyone! I will send my application within a week, but I still have 6 universities to choose from... could you help me a bit? Which one of these is not as good as the others in English Literature in your opinion: Nottingham, Exeter, Birmingham, UCL, Durham and Royall Holloway? They all seem to have strong programs.. :smile:
Original post by stphr

I got an offer from Sheffield fairly quickly (about two or three weeks) though I did apply for English Literature by itself. Good luck though!
Original post by shaken-pine
Well, no one from my school is applying for English, so unfortunately not... but on TSR I did talk to Pia B about it. I read it over the summer, because we'd already read some of Heaney's poems in class and it seemed to make sense.
It's fascinating to see how Heaney's style impacts Beowulf overall.

Yeah, it's a bit hard when nobody else is applying. I studied Heaney for GCSE which was a start I guess but not enough for detailed comparisons. (My GCSE was a better grounding for poetry than my AS and A2 sadly due to the breadth of it - OCR is so narrow at A-level). I hope your application is going well!
Reply 196
Original post by starryeyes1103
I got an offer from Sheffield fairly quickly (about two or three weeks) though I did apply for English Literature by itself. Good luck though!

when did did you send your application off if you don't mind me asking? :smile:
Original post by auden1996
when did did you send your application off if you don't mind me asking? :smile:

It was the 11th of October I think :smile:
Culture,Literature and Politics at UEA
English Language and Literature at Oxford
English Literature with a year in industry at Loughborough
English Literature at Birmingham
English Literature at Warwick

I've got offers from 3/5, just waiting on Warwick and Oxford. The entire UCAS process has been pretty traumatic so far and I can only imagine how much worse it's going to get if I get called for interview!
(edited 10 years ago)
Just sent off my application a week ago, I'm predicted A*A*A, and I've applied for English Literature at Newcastle, Lancaster, Leeds, York and Glasgow. Received an offer from Glasgow (AAB), still waiting on others! However, I am still unsure on what my top choice uni is. Of course I need to wait for offers first, but I've been weighing out pros and cons for a while and I just can't decide which uni would be best for me. The courses at all my choices seem to be pretty similar from what I've researched.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending