The Student Room Group

English Applicants 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AnimeCrazy
I know, I am just applying for it just to fill up space, but same, I seriously dont want to stay here. Its funny that annoy Uni is right near my bloody college so that is also one of the reasons why I want to run away from Leicester. Can I ask what course you doing in college now?

Think I know the college you mean yeah! I'm on a gap year (first time applying this year though), got my grades last year in Maths, History, Latin and English Lit. You?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 42
Original post by SixteenHundred
Think I know the college you mean yeah! I'm on a gap year (first time applying this year though), got my grades last year in Maths, History, Latin and English Lit. You?

Wow, what a combination! Latin?! How was that as an overall course. do English combined. Law and Sociology. Yeah, there are two colleges near that uni. How stupid is that though? Leicester is so stupid sometimes.

Goldsmith! I was looking at that too. It actually looks like my college! i showed it to all my friends and they are like you are so right. LOL. Thats a bit freaky :P
Reply 43
Okay, I need a little help and I was thinking maybe you guys could help me out. I'm an a2 student doing science because my state doesn't have the resources for me to take English literature and language for a levels. But I really, really want to do English at university. My AS results are 4 As. I'm wondering whether or not to take a gap year and do English literature and language at the capital. Can I get into university now? Will good universities in the UK - or any other parts of the world for that matter - allow transfers from science to English?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by AnimeCrazy
Wow, what a combination! Latin?! How was that as an overall course. do English combined. Law and Sociology. Yeah, there are two colleges near that uni. How stupid is that though? Leicester is so stupid sometimes.

Goldsmith! I was looking at that too. It actually looks like my college! i showed it to all my friends and they are like you are so right. LOL. Thats a bit freaky :P

Sorry, this thread got buried before I remembered to reply!

Latin was kind of a slog at A2 but easy enough at AS! You do a mix of subjects as well. What is Sociology about?
Already applied. Oxford, Exeter, Sheffield, Southampton, St Andrews.
Reply 47
Hi. I've applied to Oxford, UCL, Warwick, Leeds and Sheffield. Does anyone know what the interviews are like for UCL or Warwick?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 48
Hi everyone.
I'm doing a "gap year" of sorts, but want to study English lit next year. I got an A* in history, A* in Art but unfortunately a B in English- I was predicted A all the way through, but my last exam pulled me down. I'm going to do a resit in summer. Is anyone else in a similiar position? And do you think my grades are good enough for a top university (not oxbridge but russel group)? I know English is so competitive and it makes me feel very daunted.
Reply 49
Also wondering...how much outside reading do you think they expect? I feel like I don't know anything, and that I hardly had much time during A-levels to read for pleasure. Have you done "extra reading" in preparation?
Reply 50
Original post by NafisaT
Okay, I need a little help and I was thinking maybe you guys could help me out. I'm an a2 student doing science because my state doesn't have the resources for me to take English literature and language for a levels. But I really, really want to do English at university. My AS results are 4 As. I'm wondering whether or not to take a gap year and do English literature and language at the capital. Can I get into university now? Will good universities in the UK - or any other parts of the world for that matter - allow transfers from science to English?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think that your best option here is to get in touch with universities and ask them directly. Some may do foundation years (a year for beginners before your degree) and may take you on for a degree like that. Whatever you choose to do though, good luck!
Reply 51
Original post by rozsarah
I think that your best option here is to get in touch with universities and ask them directly. Some may do foundation years (a year for beginners before your degree) and may take you on for a degree like that. Whatever you choose to do though, good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 52
Hi everyone :smile:
I've applied to Cambridge, Durham, Bristol, UCL and Edinburgh. I'm from Australia so we don't get told a huge amount about the UK application process over here.. Apart from Shakespeare, I've only ever really been exposed to American literature during school - any idea whether that will affect my chances??
Original post by Amapola
I've applied to Cambridge, Durham, Bristol, UCL and Edinburgh. I'm from Australia so we don't get told a huge amount about the UK application process over here.. Apart from Shakespeare, I've only ever really been exposed to American literature during school - any idea whether that will affect my chances??

How to phrase this. It will not affect your chances in that only studying American lit in school will be considered unavoidable by the universities, and they won't put you at a disadvantage for it. But if, as your post makes it sound (I may have it wrong of course) you haven't actually done any reading out of school of non-American texts, then you, like anyone else who hasn't done outside reading, will have their chances affected.
Reply 54
Considering an English Joint Honours with History
Original post by Amapola

Snap on Durham, Cambridge and UCL! Which colleges at Durham and Camb? I think as long as your personal statement talks about other literature you've read outside of school you should be fine. It's more about using your A-level as a base to read around and into other literature which interests you. :smile:
Reply 56
Original post by SixteenHundred
Snap on Durham, Cambridge and UCL! Which colleges at Durham and Camb? I think as long as your personal statement talks about other literature you've read outside of school you should be fine. It's more about using your A-level as a base to read around and into other literature which interests you. :smile:

St Chad's and Jesus :smile: Ok well I've done that so fingers crossed!
Reply 57
Original post by Little Boots
How to phrase this. It will not affect your chances in that only studying American lit in school will be considered unavoidable by the universities, and they won't put you at a disadvantage for it. But if, as your post makes it sound (I may have it wrong of course) you haven't actually done any reading out of school of non-American texts, then you, like anyone else who hasn't done outside reading, will have their chances affected.

Thanks! I have done a bit... I'm guessing it would be better to read non-American texts up until the interviews then haha
Original post by Amapola
St Chad's and Jesus :smile: Ok well I've done that so fingers crossed!

Also St Chad's so may end up seeing you there. :smile: I'm Girton for Cambridge though.
Original post by Amapola
Thanks! I have done a bit... I'm guessing it would be better to read non-American texts up until the interviews then haha

I don't know, I think if you've only done "a bit" of reading outside your English class and you're applying this year you have a 0 chance of getting somewhere like Cambridge.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending