The Student Room Group

English Applicants 2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 680
Original post by bookluva4eva
No as I'm an international student. I did go and visit the campus on my own and loved it. The only reason I'm hesitant is that I don't think I can do a lot of creative writing in the course.

The Nottingham course allows you do to Creative Writing and Language modules throughout your degree :smile:
Reply 681
I have offers from both Southampton and Birmingham for English and History but I can't decided between the two!! Which university is better suited for my course? Someone help..
Got a rejection from Warwick. I'm absolutely devastated as it was my first choice. I have offers from York, Nottingham, Birmingham and Kent. I don't know if I should take one of those offers or reapply next year.

Getting rejected is horrible but try not to let it totally dictate what you do next. If you think you'd be happy at any of your other four choices, and it's likely you would be, you should go. They're all great places to study English. Maybe take a breather for a week or so before you launch yourself into a decision.

If you're looking for the emphasis on creative writing, double check the website's information and if you're still not sure just email the department. You might not get a reply for a little while, but it's worth a shot if you really need some clarification. That sort of info should be on the website though.

You seem to be right that York doesn't really do creative writing within the degree, although they have a page about it here. Nottingham does let you take modules in it within the degree as someone already said. Can't tell you anything about the other two as I only applied to York and Nottingham out of your options, but hope that's a little help to you.
Hi guys, I've firmed uni of Leicester for English, Anyone else firmed it?
Also did anyone come to an open day for Leicester?
:smile:
Reply 684
Got a rejection from Warwick. I'm absolutely devastated as it was my first choice. I have offers from York, Nottingham, Birmingham and Kent. I don't know if I should take one of those offers or reapply next year.

York has a beautiful campus and the modules are flexible at York, you don't have to do creative writing if you don't want to. Also the accommodation at York is good as its collegiate and when I looked I felt a great sense of community between the colleges. Nottingham is also good for modules and is a very green university. Good luck and hope this helps :smile:
Original post by Foreverneek
I applied to both RG and non RG unis : I have offers from Warwick, Loughborough, Birmingham and UEA. I love the course at Birmingham even though Warwick is higher in the league tables for English - I'm excited at the prospect of expanding on my love for Anglo-Saxon literature and Beowulf, something the course at Warwick doesn't seem to allow. Warwick was initially my favourite but when I went there for interview the lack of breadth of the course put me off. I would have been content to go to UEA but their funding and preference for students from Norwich made me feel unimportant and unvalued. For me it's a combination of location, atmosphere, funding and course structure that has led me to choose Birmingham with the course taking precedent when I had to choose between Warwick and Birmingham :smile:

I don't know if you've already firmed but I wouldn't worry about the students from Norwich thing from the UEA. I live there and there are very few people who want to stay at home and go to the UEA, despite it being a really good uni. So they might have a preference for local students but I think most people would like to escape Norwich (obviously there are exceptions to that, I'm sure)
Everyone seems to be posting their offers and decisions so...

Oxford: Rejected after interview
Sheffield: AAB
Newcastle: AAA/AAB with A in EPQ
Reading: AAB
Sussex: Unconditional - firmed
Reply 687
Original post by Sophiehannah95
I just firmed UEA and insured Leicester, has anyone else firmed UEA?

Are we the same person? I've just firmed UEA but was very very closely considering Leicester. I had unconditionals from both (did my A-levels last year) and I had my heart set on Leicester, but upon visiting and reading up on UEA I realised the course has more prestige and reputation attached to it and that it's a very good English university.
Personally I think Leicester is an incredibly lovely city, and coupled with the fact that the university is within short walking distance of the city centre I loved the place. However, Norwich is a fantastic city too. I was particularly impressed by the amount of music and art shops around, and there were plenty of nice bookshops, too.

What made you pick UEA over Leicester? :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 688
I don't know if this is relevant... I got accepted for a 50th Anniversary Scholarship for English with CW! I still can't believe that I am one of those 18 applicants. It seems so surreal, especially when I was against scientific degrees :3. So, I am obviously picking UEA.

Anyway, here are my choices (all English with CW):

1. UEA - AAA - Firmed as primary choice with a 50th anniversary scholarship
2. Newcastle - AAA/AAB - firmed as insurance choice with a merit scholarship
3. Warwick - AAA
4. Kent - AAB
5. Nottingham - AAA

It may seem as if I am bragging with the scholarships, but I am as surprised as you are. Like, I am not actually stupid, lol.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by hugo_dd
Are we the same person? I've just firmed UEA but was very very closely considering Leicester. I had unconditionals from both (did my A-levels last year) and I had my heart set on Leicester, but upon visiting and reading up on UEA I realised the course has more prestige and reputation attached to it and that it's a very good English university.
Personally I think Leicester is an incredibly lovely city, and coupled with the fact that the university is within short walking distance of the city centre I loved the place. However, Norwich is a fantastic city too. I was particularly impressed by the amount of music and art shops around, and there were plenty of nice bookshops, too.

What made you pick UEA over Leicester? :smile:

Wow, that's a massive coincidence. I think I feel in love with UEA more in comparison to Leicester when I visited, and distance played a part in deciding in the end. I'm only an hour away from home if I get into UEA whereas I would be three if I end up at Leicester. When I visited UEA I also saw the 1975 at the LCR and I think that added to the experience too. Good luck choosing, I found it hard myself as I thought I was going to firm Exeter
Reply 690
Still waiting on Bristol - i've applied for english & philosophy. Should I be concerned? (concern is pointless, i know.)
Still waiting on Edinburgh! Not holding out much hope those as they gave some offers out today! :frown: Oh well, got my favourite St Andrews AAA offer! :biggrin:
Reply 692
Gosh, I'm so bitter.

Me - works super hard and is incredibly passionate and excited to go to UCL. Gets A* equivs at AS in both English subjects. Is consistently getting full marks and A*s this year. Isn't a good public speaker/does not interview well, probably due to the intense bullying I used to receive at my old school for answering questions or speaking out loud. Something I can work on in the future. Gets rejected post-interview. Obviously heartbroken.

Someone else - gets high every day, deals drugs, barely turns up to lessons, didn't turn up to mocks, does not revise - gets ABBB at AS - gets an offer for medicine at UCL because he effectively interviewed well.

Another girl applying for English - didn't turn up to her mock (except English in which she got a B), does not do homework ever/never writes essays - but is charming and friendly. Gets in to Oxford and doesn't even want to go.

Girl applying for engineering - took 6 AS levels, got 6 As including 4 A* equivs, does ****loads of extra curricular - didn't even get an interview at Oxford.

I hate this system and I hate the way amazing students (not really referring to myself, but other people on this thread & others from school) get rejected.

Rant over. Don't judge me. :frown:
Reply 693
I have an Unconditional from Sheffield for English Literature, which I have firmed. Anyone else going to Sheffield?
Reply 694
Original post by Little Boots
i am judging you. why should it all be decided on grades? the students you describe sound like people i'd much rather employ than you.

It's not their grades (gosh, my GCSEs are av. as hell). It's their attitude - and the fact that the system is clearly flawed. Why would you employ a lazy person?
Reply 695
Original post by Little Boots
but i'm not sure i agree that not doing essays shows a bad attitude. if someone doesn't feel a homework is helpful to them and therefore doesn't do it, that's insightful.

I disagree - try telling your tutor at university that you refuse to do his/her assignment because you feel it won't help you... I agree with CarysMoo (to an extent), not doing essays/homework that's set is a flaw in your work ethic.
Reply 696
Original post by CarysMoo
Gosh, I'm so bitter.

Me - works super hard and is incredibly passionate and excited to go to UCL. Gets A* equivs at AS in both English subjects. Is consistently getting full marks and A*s this year. Isn't a good public speaker/does not interview well, probably due to the intense bullying I used to receive at my old school for answering questions or speaking out loud. Something I can work on in the future. Gets rejected post-interview. Obviously heartbroken.

Someone else - gets high every day, deals drugs, barely turns up to lessons, didn't turn up to mocks, does not revise - gets ABBB at AS - gets an offer for medicine at UCL because he effectively interviewed well.

Another girl applying for English - didn't turn up to her mock (except English in which she got a B), does not do homework ever/never writes essays - but is charming and friendly. Gets in to Oxford and doesn't even want to go.

Girl applying for engineering - took 6 AS levels, got 6 As including 4 A* equivs, does ****loads of extra curricular - didn't even get an interview at Oxford.

I hate this system and I hate the way amazing students (not really referring to myself, but other people on this thread & others from school) get rejected.

To be frightfully honest, I'd like to think that it is not only the grades that the admissions consider when they should accept the student or not, but rather also their sensibilities to the degree that they are going to take and the strength of their actual opinions, and this particularly becomes highlighted, stressed and emphasised during interviews, in which you always need to bend the conversation to your own liking.

As a disclaimer, I must also profess that I am rather a bad student but a good learner, and this is probably because at a certain period I was bullied so much at school and with the teachers turning a blind eye with this bullying, I resorted to kind of teaching myself. After a sabbatical of two years, travelling throughout 2 countries without even planning to do so, and now finishing my A-levels at 20, the certain kind of 'sense' that I acquired is what aided me to get accepted. To remind you, I am quite a bad student. Not only once have I spent time in the principal's office for tardiness (it's actually really crazy. I only have 3 hours per day, and I still get late.). Thing is, you need to have the sensibilities, because if you are hard-working but pedantic in your approach, any kind of passion emitted becomes contrived, fabricated,

I mean; it's weird how bad I am naturally at social interactions, but I become adequate at non-graded interviews, and I guess what I am trying to say is that interviewers or admission officers are trying to find your passion for that certain domain through those interviews and your personal statement. It's not that they are trying to find someone who is eloquent, but rather someone who is willing to develop. I guess, some can mistake charisma with this, but the world isn't fair.

And really every person is interesting. I think that what they want is for you to present yourself in an idiosyncratic way, not just through a set of premade markers.

For those who think that work ethic is important--I agree. However, I think that you are misunderstanding the issue here. It's not that most people lack the work ethic, but rather they don't find the inherent importance in doing a certain kind of work, or rather they do not think that this kind of work would lead to some kind of improvement, but if they still do get good grades, then that means that they have found their own method.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 697
Original post by Shizzam
To be frightfully honest, I'd like to think that it is not only the grades that the admissions consider when they should accept the student or not, but rather also their sensibilities to the degree that they are going to take and the strength of their actual opinions, and this particularly becomes highlighted, stressed and emphasised during interviews, in which you always need to bend the conversation to your own liking.

As a disclaimer, I must also profess that I am rather a bad student but a good learner, and this is probably because at a certain period I was bullied so much at school and with the teachers turning a blind eye with this bullying, I resorted to kind of teaching myself. After a sabbatical of two years, travelling throughout 2 countries without even planning to do so, and now finishing my A-levels at 20, the certain kind of 'sense' that I acquired is what aided me to get accepted. To remind you, I am quite a bad student. Not only once have I spent time in the principal's office for tardiness (it's actually really crazy. I only have 3 hours per day, and I still get late.). Thing is, you need to have the sensibilities, because if you are hard-working but pedantic in your approach, any kind of passion emitted becomes contrived, fabricated,

I mean; it's weird how bad I am naturally at social interactions, but I become adequate at non-graded interviews, and I guess what I am trying to say is that interviewers or admission officers are trying to find your passion for that certain domain through those interviews and your personal statement. It's not that they are trying to find someone who is eloquent, but rather someone who is willing to develop. I guess, some can mistake charisma with this, but the world isn't fair.

And really every person is interesting. I think that what they want is for you to present yourself in an idiosyncratic way, not just through a set of premade markers.

For those who think that work ethic is important--I agree. However, I think that you are misunderstanding the issue here. It's not that most people lack the work ethic, but rather they don't find the inherent importance in doing a certain kind of work, or rather they do not think that this kind of work would lead to some kind of improvement, but if they still do get good grades, then that means that they have found their own method.
I think, in my anger, I've expressed myself clumsily. Let me just say - my grades are good, but not great. During my GCSEs, I was assaulted, etc, extenuating circumstances. I also got bullied, and went to a terrible school and ended up with okay grades. I don't at all place the most importance on grades - but just partially, like universities. And I don't think students should be judged solely on them. Sorry if I made it sound like that - because if I thought that, then heck, I should be judging the crap out of myself for getting a D in GCSE French (wasn't actually taught French).

I work, do homework etc, in my own way. I'm not one of those robots whose passion for the subject has become contrived - in fact, the passion in my personal statement has been commended by many people (which I am super proud of). I just can't do interviews - nerves, bad at public speaking, whatever. And I so, so, so wanted to go to UCL. It was basically my dream and as silly or irrational as it may sound, I see all these people around me who have actively admitted they do not care about university or even the subject they want to study, I feel like I've been robbed of a place. Like that Oxford girl I mentioned - she said to me 'I'm not sure I want to study English or even go to university, so I'm just going to be chill in my interview' and admitted she only picked English because it was the lesser of two evils. So... clearly, her passion was more contrived. She then got an offer from UCL without interview - [flawless academic record and well-crafted PS, I guess]. Feels extremely unjust to me. And I'm just using myself as an example - there are so many other people out there who've been rejected (and many more who are fantastic and obviously deserve their places). It's just sad, because I feel like I would've appreciated my place at UCL so much more than the aforementioned girl or someone who got rejected from their first choice and had to settle for UCL. And I know the only thing standing between me and that offer was my terrible interview and my lack of interview skills - and buh, that just makes me feel awful. :frown:

And I know I'll just get accused of caring too much about grades when I say this, but last year at my school, someone received an offer for English at UCL. She had ABCC at AS. Fair enough, I know, that's great - I know a lot of people go on to achieve As and A*s with grades as good as those at AS. She was not predicted AAA at A2, either (so why would they give her an offer if she was not expected to achieve the entry grades for such a competitive course?! That is beyond me.) Unsurprisingly, she didn't actually get AAA and thus got rejected on results day. Which is obviously awful for her, and she probably feels the opposite to me ('why so much emphasis on grades?') but it just reinforces how unfair the system can be.

And I'm not just talking about top-top (Golden Triangle) universities. My sister achieved CDD at A2 and got into a Russell Group university, which she effectively laughed at. She had no passion or desire to attend and fully expected rejection on results day. A friend at school has been rejected from 3/5 universities (including the Russell Group my sister got in to) and had better [Bs at AS] grades and a real, genuine desire to attend and a passion for her subject. It's just... sad.

As for work ethic, like I said, I do my work. Even if I don't see the value to it, because I respect my teachers and I trust their judgement (at my new school). But I don't sit for hours and months in advance revising for exams. Actually, I tend to cram. Bad method according to people better than be - except I do actually achieve good marks. I tend to just do what I know will work, and I appreciate anyone who does that and trusts their own judgement. However, in the cases of the people I mentioned before - they /don't do anything/. They quite literally are getting Cs and Ds this year. And no, this is not me suggesting grades are everything. This is me saying /they clearly do not give a crap/, which really, really annoys me. Because I give a crap.

tl;dr I wish I was better at social-based activities and had the charisma to be good at interviews.
Original post by CarysMoo
Gosh, I'm so bitter.

The issue is if you can't interview well then how can a university be sure you're the best person for their course? grades are important of course, but they aren't everything! it's okay to be annoyed that you didn't get offered a place but just because you think others didn't work as hard as you didnmay not be entirely true.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 699
Oxford - rejected pre interview ( really bad ELAT )
Bristol - unconditional offer English a*aa
UCL - unconditional offer for English a*aa
UCL- unconditional offer for Arts and Sciences a*aa
Edinburgh - rejected Monday

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending